Ruby Tool Survey

Giles Bowkett

http://drawohara.tumblr.com/post/20284516

oh, hey. I had that in my RSS reader until last week. I was reading
too many blogs so I deleted everything. I'll add that one back in.
the quality sux but the conversion to flv was blowing up on my box -
i'll try again tomorrow. until the low-quality version and link to
full res is here.

just a quick overview - but maybe it gives the flavour.

it does. muchas gracias. essentially it's a text-only window manager?
Unix is a wonderful thing. and the sl thing is basically saved state,
so you can get the same "windows" back whether you log in from the
same box or remotely.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Reid Thompson

ara.t.howard said:
you mean gvim? does vim do tabs somehow then?

yeah. this is what i use:

cfp:~ > alias|grep screen
alias s='screen -D -R '
alias sdr='screen -d -r '
alias sl='screen -list '

i've tried tags a bit but not lately - should give it another go.
thanks for the tip.

yup, i swear by it. best thing is that moving to linux, using putty on
windows, switching to osx, logging into to a solaris box, working on
fortran, whatever - all use the same 'ide'. this alone buys a ton of
time in the medium to long haul.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
yes vim will do tabs also

ara.t.howard

I don't use GVim because it doesn't work inside screen, but yes, Vim
and GVim both do tabs. Try `:help tab-page-intro` to get an overview.

The basic commands are:

:tabnew -> open a new tab
:tabedit index.rhtml (or :tabe index.rhtml) -> open file index.rhtml
in a new tab
:tabclose (or :tabc) -> close current tab
:tabmove 4 (or :tabm 4) -> move current tab after tab 4

gt (or :tabnext) -> next tab
gT (or :tabprevious) -> previous tab
4gt -> go to tab 4

The excellent and indispensable rails.vim plugin has some nice tab
support features.

I'm not sure if OS X Vim has tab support by default...

well i'll be...

very cool!

that's the other great thing about vim - it takes a lifetime to learn
it all.

'gT' is pretty dang awkward for flipping though - i think i might map
'tn' (tabnext) and 'tp' (tabprevious)

otherwise this might be my new favorite vim feature.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/