Russian in ASP pages?

Steven

Hi all,

I would like to create a site which shows text in English or in Russian
(depending on the user's choice).
Problem is that I can't save the pages in Unicode (Unicode can contain
Russian characters), because IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct,
right?!).

So how can I have normal (ASCII) ASP pages, which can show either text in
English or Russian (charset Windows-1251)???

Thanks!
Greetings, Steven

Evertjan.

Steven wrote on 21 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct, right?!).

ASP is a platform for serverside programming,
and has nothing to do with the rendering of the HTML part of the page as
such.

IIS, which has its own NGs
[microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, please follo up over there],
could be so naive, that it can't handle Unicode,
but I don't think you are correct.

Steven

Evertjan,

Posted reply in MS.Public.Inetserver.IIS...

Greetings, Steven

Evertjan. said:
Steven wrote on 21 jun 2004 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct, right?!).

ASP is a platform for serverside programming,
and has nothing to do with the rendering of the HTML part of the page as
such.

IIS, which has its own NGs
[microsoft.public.inetserver.iis, please follo up over there],
could be so naive, that it can't handle Unicode,
but I don't think you are correct.

Hans

Hi!

A link about saving ASP files in unicode format.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q245000

I run a Unicode (UTF-8) ASP site and I don't have any text directly in the
ASP pages (pages are built up in COM+ components where texts are fetched
from a database set up to handle unicode). In the top of every page I set
the codepage directive (65001=UTF-8)

<%@ Language=VBScript CodePage=65001%>

I also add a http header on my pages (set from IIS admin tool). The quotes
("") should not be added.
Custom HeaderName: "Content-Type"
Custom Header Value: "text/html; Charset=utf-8"

Regards
/Hans

George Hester

"IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages..." wrong. It's just slow..................

Paul Gorodyansky

Steven said:
Hi all,

I would like to create a site which shows text in English or in Russian
(depending on the user's choice).
Problem is that I can't save the pages in Unicode (Unicode can contain
Russian characters), because IIS can't handle Unicode ASP pages (correct,
right?!).

So how can I have normal (ASCII) ASP pages, which can show either text in
English or Russian (charset Windows-1251)???

Thanks!
Greetings, Steven

You may want to read this page regarding ASP and encodings:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0700/localize/

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky