search engine-eering

Discussion in 'HTML' started by PJ, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. PJ

    PJ Guest

    hello folks.

    i re-designed a small site for a client a couple of months back that seems
    to be doing the opposite of what it was intended to do - bring him more
    business.

    the main site had gone thru several changes, most recent from a site that
    sold food supplements to a site that sells small electronic appliances. we
    pared the site down to a simple 2-page site - got rid of all extra baggage,
    so all it has is a product page and an order page on a secure server.

    our search engine strategy involved purchasing a new domain containing
    important keywords for the products and setting up an identical 2-page site
    on the new domain which also pointed to the secure order page. We worked on
    optimizing the <TITLE> and <META> tags of both sites.

    Anyway, we thought this might perk up their sales, but sales actually
    decreased drastically.

    I am not sure where we went wrong. If anyone has any feedback or advice for
    this issue with regard to search engines, please let me know!!

    thanks..

    pJ

    PJ, Nov 17, 2003

  2. PJ <> wrote:
    > our search engine strategy involved purchasing a new domain containing
    > important keywords for the products and setting up an identical
    > 2-page site on the new domain which also pointed to the secure order
    > page. We worked on optimizing the <TITLE> and <META> tags of both
    > sites.

    Were you duplicating your site to have two entries in a search engine? If
    so, engines like Google can detect ploys like those and will drop you from
    their database.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Nov 17, 2003

  3. PJ

    PJ Guest

    our second domain (one with better keywords) was chosen to replace the 1st
    domain. since some of our previous customers were used to the old domain,
    we thought we'd leave them both up simultaneously. this means two almost
    identical websites up under two different domain names.

    do search engines consider this an infraction? if so, is there any
    workaround for this, because we really need to keep both domains up - at
    least for a few months until business transfers over to the new one.

    thanks,

    PJ

    PJ, Nov 18, 2003
  4. PJ

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:08:39 GMT, PJ is reported to have
    stated:

    > our second domain (one with better keywords) was chosen to replace the 1st
    > domain. since some of our previous customers were used to the old domain,
    > we thought we'd leave them both up simultaneously. this means two almost
    > identical websites up under two different domain names.

    What are you talking about? Oh, this is a reply to an earlier post? Please
    quote the relevant parts of what you are replying to.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~wijnands/nnq/nquote.html

    > do search engines consider this an infraction? if so, is there any
    > workaround for this, because we really need to keep both domains up - at
    > least for a few months until business transfers over to the new one.

    Yes - it is considered spam. With only 2 domains it is borderline, but
    still possible. Is either site listed at all in Google? If not, you have
    been penalised for spamming. If they are, but they just aren't ranking
    well, I would say it is just that the new site hasn't yet got the links etc
    that the old one did.

    When changing domains the best method is to send a 301 - Moved Permanently
    in your http headers. How to do this depends on your server.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 18, 2003
  5. PJ

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "PJ" <>
    writing in news:Hafub.40315$1K.35233@edtnps84:

    > our second domain (one with better keywords) was chosen to replace the
    > 1st domain. since some of our previous customers were used to the old
    > domain, we thought we'd leave them both up simultaneously. this means
    > two almost identical websites up under two different domain names.
    >
    > do search engines consider this an infraction? if so, is there any
    > workaround for this, because we really need to keep both domains up -
    > at least for a few months until business transfers over to the new one.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > PJ

    Sites with the same content will definately get you removed. You should be
    doing a server side redirect (301 - moved permanently) to the new site, and
    put a notice stating that users should update their bookmarks, etc.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Nov 18, 2003