    thing.

    Do you have a link to information on this search tool?

    Thanks for your help.

    Bruce W...1, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Bruce W...1

    Isofarro Guest

    http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

    > Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found some
    > information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this is the same
    > thing.

    No. You _could_ use Google Web API to do the above, and a lot of different
    things - but it is far much more work than the form snippet in the URL
    above.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

    Isofarro, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Bruce W...1

    kayodeok Guest

    "Bruce W...1" <> wrote in

    > I've seen number of websites that will search that particular
    > website with Google. It's usually accompanied by a "Powered by
    > Google" and logo.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found
    > some information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this
    > is the same thing.

    In addition to Isofarro's comments, if you wish to search
    just your own site, you need to add the following:

    <input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="your.site.com">

    As in the code below (remove the link to Microsoft):

    <form method="get" action="http://www.google.com/search">

    <input type="hidden" name="as_sitesearch" value="support.microsoft.com">

    <input type="text" maxLength="256" size="55" name="q" value="">
    <input type="submit" value="Search Google" name="sa">

    </form>

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    kayodeok, Oct 31, 2003
  4. Bruce W...1

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Bruce W...1

    kayodeok Guest

    Isofarro <> wrote in

    > kayodeok wrote:
    >
    >> Kayode Okeyode
    >> http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    > Hmmm... very good blog you have there.
    > What sort of subjects
    > are you covering? Longhorn, syndication and web patents...

    I set up the blog to cover Computing in general specifically Web
    Development, Perl and Computer Security, I made a conscious
    decision not to comment on Microsoft stuff but I am really known
    for Windows Resources (http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk/) and
    scanning my logs suggest my visitors come to my site searching for
    microsoft stuff so I keep ending back there.

    I will have to make a conscious decision to stop commenting on
    Microsoft stuff but then I see this:

    Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for Security

    and I am sucked back in!!!

    (I am really trying not to comment on that one)

    kayodeok, Oct 31, 2003
  6. Bruce W...1

    gmcclary Guest

    "Isofarro" <> wrote in message
    > kayodeok wrote:
    >
    > > Kayode Okeyode
    > > http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    > Hmmm... very good blog you have there. What sort of subjects
    > are you covering? Longhorn, syndication and web patents...
    >

    > --
    > Iso.
    > FAQs: http://html-faq.com http://alt-html.org http://allmyfaqs.com/
    > Recommended Hosting: http://www.affordablehost.com/
    > Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

    For a neat & clean site search, look at http://www.atomz.com/
    It is not obvious, but a free site search is offered...

    gmcclary, Oct 31, 2003
  7. Bruce W...1

    TheGuru Guest

    "Bruce W...1" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've seen number of websites that will search that particular website
    > with Google. It's usually accompanied by a "Powered by Google" and
    > logo.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found some
    > information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this is the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Do you have a link to information on this search tool?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I've experienced better results from a custom site search application,
    designed from the ground up to build a unique index just for your
    site, rather than simply sharing an entire web index, and limiting its
    results to just your URL.

    You are at their mercy for refresh frequency, specifying what gets
    included not included in the results, customization of the search
    results appearance, etc.

    I'd recommend looking at a hosted site search application. There are
    a number of free ones out there, of which I recommend the following:

    http://www.fusionbot.com
    http://www.atomz.com

    TheGuru, Nov 3, 2003
  8. Bruce W...1 wrote:
    > I've seen number of websites that will search that particular website
    > with Google. It's usually accompanied by a "Powered by Google" and
    > logo.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how this works and if it's free? I found some
    > information on the Google Web API but I'm not sure if this is the same
    > thing.
    >
    > Do you have a link to information on this search tool?

    This is what I use (free):
    http://www.google.com/searchcode.html#both

    It simply uses the standard public Google index, but with the option to
    confine it to your domain. See:
    http://www.childsupportanalysis.co.uk/site_map.htm
    http://www.barry.pearson.name/site_map.htm
    http://www.birdsandanimals.info/site_map.htm

    It doesn't give you your own search engine. I guess you pay extra for that. If
    you want something heavyweight, have a look at:
    http://www.google.com/services/custom.html

    --
    Barry Pearson

    Barry Pearson, Nov 8, 2003