Select .NET Framework between 1.1 and 2.0

Sara T.

How can I select .NET Framework between 1.1 and 2.0?

Both for Windows Application and Web Application.

Guest

You cannot. You have to convert your 2003 solution to a 2005 solution to use
the 2.0 framework in both cases.

Regards, Dustin.

Sara T.

Really!!

I suppose it could be similar to ASP 1.0 that we can select version of .NET
framework to be running on.

I can run ASP 1.0 on both the machine is installed .NET 1.0 and .NET 1.1 and
force to run for each version.

So I thought we could force ASP.NET 1.1 to run on the machine which is
installed both version of .NET Framework (1.1 and 2.0).

Guest

If you have ASP.net 1.1 and 2.0 installed on the same machine you can set
which one a particular web aplication uses in the ASP.net tab of the
configuartion page for that web app in IIS.

Guest

You can run your 2003 solution on a system on which both framework 1.1 and
framework 2.0 is installed, but you cannot force your solution to use the 2.0
framework. It will still use the 1.1 framework instead. (If you force your
IIS to use the 2.0 framework for your 1.1 solution the website will crash)
To use the 2.0 framework you will have to convert your 2003 solution.

Sara T.

Thanks a lot.

Could I change in any web.config like a ASP.NET 1.0 ?

Otherwise is about Windows Application, can I force to run on specified
framework?

Guest

Yes, you have to select the ASP.net version in IIS that matches the version
that you are using in the web aplication, but then what would be the point of
trying to run an ASP.net 1.1 aplication on asp.net2.0? You can hapily use
both on the same machine but you have to use the correct one for each web app.

Patrice

See the .config file documentation (requiredRuntime, supportedRuntime). It
should allow to :
- run a 1.1 application under 2.0
- you can't run a 2.0 application under 1.1

Also it won't work AFAIK for web application wherr you have to use the
framework for which you built the application (you have an ASP.NET ab in the
IIS console to do that when you have 2.0 installed). Finally even for
Windows application note that it requires testing the application in this
particular configuration.