    What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to be
    sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

    Thanks
    dave, Jan 9, 2005

  2. dave

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:42:31 +1300, "dave" <> wrote:

    >Is there a way to send email generated from asp scripts run on localhost for
    >testing purposes?
    >Running XP pro, but would like to test client pages on //localhost first
    >before transfering to the domain.
    >
    >(using CDOSYS and localhost for testing)
    >
    >What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to be
    >sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

    CDO works fine, see:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jan 9, 2005

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:42:31 +1300, "dave" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Is there a way to send email generated from asp scripts run on localhost

    for
    > >testing purposes?
    > >Running XP pro, but would like to test client pages on //localhost first
    > >before transfering to the domain.
    > >
    > >(using CDOSYS and localhost for testing)
    > >
    > >What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to

    be
    > >sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

    > CDO works fine, see:
    >
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
    >
    > Jeff

    And if it doesnt work fine?
    Does the local SMTP service need any configuration?
    Are you saying it should 'just work' ?

    No errors - no mail in any pickup directory - nothing
    dave, Jan 10, 2005
  4. I have the same problem Dave using CDO. If I don't have the server set up
    (with my domain name in the alias) I get a token error, if I do it acts like
    it's sent but I never get the mail in.
    I was hoping it would 'just work' but think you do need to configure it, but
    not sure of the settings.

    Stu
    Stuart Palmer, Jan 10, 2005
  5. dave

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:31:33 +1300, "dave" <> wrote:

    >"Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:42:31 +1300, "dave" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is there a way to send email generated from asp scripts run on localhost

    >for
    >> >testing purposes?
    >> >Running XP pro, but would like to test client pages on //localhost first
    >> >before transfering to the domain.
    >> >
    >> >(using CDOSYS and localhost for testing)
    >> >
    >> >What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to

    >be
    >> >sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

    >> CDO works fine, see:
    >>
    >> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
    >> http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119
    >>
    >> Jeff

    >And if it doesnt work fine?

    Then you would have a problem. Unfortunately, you need to tell us
    *what* the problem actually is. Maybe if you posted the code you're
    using to send the email.

    >Does the local SMTP service need any configuration?

    Possibly.

    >Are you saying it should 'just work' ?

    Normally, yes.

    >No errors - no mail in any pickup directory - nothing

    Nothing? As in there's no information in the SMTP logs? Have you
    tested the SMTP service? See:

    HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286421

    And if that doesn't work, post in the SMTP group, it's not an ASP
    issue.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jan 10, 2005