Sending email via localhost

dave

Is there a way to send email generated from asp scripts run on localhost for
testing purposes?
Running XP pro, but would like to test client pages on //localhost first
before transfering to the domain.

(using CDOSYS and localhost for testing)

What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to be
sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

Thanks

Jeff Cochran

Is there a way to send email generated from asp scripts run on localhost for
testing purposes?
Running XP pro, but would like to test client pages on //localhost first
before transfering to the domain.

(using CDOSYS and localhost for testing)

What setup is possible with the SMTP server of XP pro to allow email to be
sent (and then recieved from my ISP)

CDO works fine, see:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2119

Jeff

Stuart Palmer

I have the same problem Dave using CDO. If I don't have the server set up
(with my domain name in the alias) I get a token error, if I do it acts like
it's sent but I never get the mail in.
I was hoping it would 'just work' but think you do need to configure it, but
not sure of the settings.

Stu

Jeff Cochran

And if it doesnt work fine?

Then you would have a problem. Unfortunately, you need to tell us
*what* the problem actually is. Maybe if you posted the code you're
using to send the email.
Does the local SMTP service need any configuration?
Possibly.

Are you saying it should 'just work' ?

Normally, yes.
No errors - no mail in any pickup directory - nothing

Nothing? As in there's no information in the SMTP logs? Have you
tested the SMTP service? See:

HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286421

And if that doesn't work, post in the SMTP group, it's not an ASP
issue.

Jeff