Server application unavailable when displaying large chunks of data

vijay

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET application running on a multi-processor Windows 2003
server. The application has been behaving perfectly well for the last
couple of months.

Yesterday, we started seeing the 'Server application unavailable'
message on a specific .aspx page, which retrieves data from a stored
procedure running on a SQL Server 2000 database and binds the data to a
datagrid. The error only occurs when retrieving large amounts of data.
At one stage, I was able to narrow down the issue to a point where the
page was functioning when 501 rows or fewer were returned, but would
fail when 502 rows or more were returned. I was able to get this
behavior consistently. I don't see any entries in the Application,
System or Security event logs.

The problem suddenly went away last night, after I set the Trace
attribute on the failing page to True (I'm not sure that setting the
Trace attribute had anything to do with it). After I removed the Trace
setting, the page continued to function normally with all sizes of
data. However, the problem has cropped up again this morning.

I've tried setting the connection timeout on the web site, but to no
avail. I've seen some threads that suggest that changing the timeout in
machine.config might help. I've also seen a knowledge base article that
refers to such a problem, but that article talks about setting the
/BASE switch while compiling and we're not doing that.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijay.