Shame on Tucows!

softwarelabus

If you go to this webhosting review site:
http://thehostingchart.com
you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
ixwebhosting.com

Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will find:

Domain: thehostingchart.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

Domain: ixwebhosting.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up web
sites _pretending_ to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have a
few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?

BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.

Domain: tucows.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
that's another story.

Shame on Tucows!

Paul

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

If you go to this webhosting review site:
http://thehostingchart.com
you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
ixwebhosting.com

Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will
find:

Registrant != registrar.
Domain: thehostingchart.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

Registrant:
Ecommerce Holding
Neuhoferstr. 1
Freistadt, Upper Austria 4240
US
Domain: ixwebhosting.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

Registrant:
IX Web Hosting
247 Mitch Lane
Hopkinsville, KY 42240
US
It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up
web sites pretending to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have
a few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?

BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.

Domain: tucows.com
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
that's another story.

Shame on Tucows!

I'd rather say that's you haven't quite touched into the hosting
business the last 7 years. Tucows provides a domain registration and
SSL certificate reselling service; domains that have registrar set to
Tucows are resold via Tucows. Sorta the same thing GoDaddy does with
their WildWestDomains.com service.
http://resellers.tucows.com/

Viper

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
tucows.com is also a domain register.... Where have you been for the last
10+ years?

Mona Burger

Viper said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
tucows.com is also a domain register.... Where have you been for the last
10+ years?

Perhaps, he is a veggie boy :p

Gordon Hudson

[...]

On that basis they own most UK web sites because 123-REG, UKREG/FASTHOSTS,
UK2 and ourselves all do our gtld registrations through TUCOWS.

There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:

"What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
the younger readers.

--
Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Dylan Parry

Gordon said:
There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:

"What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
virtual sweets? :)
I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
the younger readers.

I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

Kevin Lyons

"What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
the younger readers.

Don't put yourself down Gordon, nothing a little Grecian 2000 can't fix :)

It reminds me a lot of HSBC and AOL.
Would people use them if they were given their full names?

--
Regards

John Lyons
Netserve Consultants Limited
www.discountadsl.co.uk
ADSL from £9.99 per month.

Gordon Hudson

Dylan Parry said:
IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
virtual sweets? :)

Thats correct.
Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.
I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

Must have been an early starter.
I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
tucows for winsock software.

--
Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net
http://www.hostroute.co.uk/resellers Host 5 web sites for £9 per month
http://www.nameroute.co.uk/ Domain Names with free hosting and email
http://www.myqth.co.uk/ 3000MB of web space for £29 per year

William Tasso

Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
Gordon Hudson <[email protected]> stumbled into
and said:
Tucows were giving away promotional "stress" cows at one time.
I got my own back:

http://www.hudson.nu/pics/cow.html

amazing - I was in one of the local pubs the other evening - it's been
tarted up since I was last in - as well as a large collection of TinTin
paraphernalia they also have a lifesize dalek.

Big Bill

On that basis they own most UK web sites because 123-REG, UKREG/FASTHOSTS,
UK2 and ourselves all do our gtld registrations through TUCOWS.

There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:

"What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
the younger readers.

The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software.

VERONICA?

BB

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Gordon Hudson exclaimed (11-Aug-06 5:49 PM):
Thats correct.
Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.

Must have been an early starter.
I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
tucows for winsock software.

ooh! ooh! Can I play?

I remember connecting to bbses. I can't remember why but think I was
looking for software...

The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore Vic20. With a "tape"
drive. I was poor, so used 30-minute audio tapes for data storage.

Through some weird set of circumstances after I graduated, my Vic20
ended up in my college's "computer museum", where I saw it in the late
90s. Still had the "peek" and "poke" numbers I'd taped on it way back
when (1980 or thereabouts).

And, I was almost right, I remembered it as "The Ultimate Collection Of
Windows Software"

jmc

John A.

Thats correct.
Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.

Must have been an early starter.
I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
tucows for winsock software.

I was a Stroud's man, myself.

So, are we all going to put our geek codes in our sigs now or what? :)

softwarelabus

Kim said:
Registrant != registrar.

You're right.

What are they selling at thehostingchart.com? They're paying for google
ads and they hardly have any web pages.

Paul

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

You're right.

What are they selling at thehostingchart.com? They're paying for
google ads and they hardly have any web pages.

Tucows isn't selling anything at thehostingchart.com or even paying for
Google ads. The only money in this chain even handled by Tucows was the
registration fee for the domain. Other than handling the registration
for the domain, they have nothing to do with thehostingchart.com.

Owen Rees

No, I meant what's it stand for.

The answer is Very Easy ... to find on the web. There was a time when
looking for that kind of information you might have gone to VERONICA as
a Very Easy ... and so on.

I remember ARCHIE, but I don't think I ever used VERONICA.