Shame on Tucows!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by softwarelabus@yahoo.com, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Guest

    If you go to this webhosting review site:
    http://thehostingchart.com
    you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    ixwebhosting.com

    Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will find:

    Domain: thehostingchart.com
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

    Domain: ixwebhosting.com
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

    It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up web
    sites _pretending_ to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
    their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
    wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have a
    few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?

    BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.

    Domain: tucows.com
    Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

    I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
    software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
    that's another story.

    Shame on Tucows!

    Paul

    , Aug 11, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > If you go to this webhosting review site:
    > http://thehostingchart.com
    > you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    > ixwebhosting.com
    >
    > Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will
    > find:

    Registrant != registrar.

    > Domain: thehostingchart.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

    Registrant:
    Ecommerce Holding
    Neuhoferstr. 1
    Freistadt, Upper Austria 4240
    US

    > Domain: ixwebhosting.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

    Registrant:
    IX Web Hosting
    247 Mitch Lane
    Hopkinsville, KY 42240
    US

    > It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up
    > web sites pretending to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
    > their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
    > wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have
    > a few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?
    >
    > BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.
    >
    > Domain: tucows.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >
    > I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
    > software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
    > that's another story.
    >
    > Shame on Tucows!

    I'd rather say that's you haven't quite touched into the hosting
    business the last 7 years. Tucows provides a domain registration and
    SSL certificate reselling service; domains that have registrar set to
    Tucows are resold via Tucows. Sorta the same thing GoDaddy does with
    their WildWestDomains.com service.
    http://resellers.tucows.com/

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Aug 11, 2006

  3. Viper Guest

    wrote:
    tucows.com is also a domain register.... Where have you been for the last
    10+ years?

    Viper, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Mona Burger Guest

    Viper wrote:
    > wrote:
    > tucows.com is also a domain register.... Where have you been for the last
    > 10+ years?

    Perhaps, he is a veggie boy :p

    Mona Burger, Aug 11, 2006
  5. <> wrote in message
    > If you go to this webhosting review site:
    > http://thehostingchart.com
    > you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    > ixwebhosting.com
    >
    > Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will find:
    >
    > Domain: thehostingchart.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >
    > Domain: ixwebhosting.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >
    > It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up web
    > sites _pretending_ to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
    > their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
    > wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have a
    > few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?
    >
    > BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.
    >
    > Domain: tucows.com
    > Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >
    > I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
    > software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
    > that's another story.
    >
    > Shame on Tucows!
    >
    > Paul

    On that basis they own most UK web sites because 123-REG, UKREG/FASTHOSTS,
    UK2 and ourselves all do our gtld registrations through TUCOWS.

    There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:

    "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

    I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
    the younger readers.

    --
    Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
    e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

    Gordon Hudson, Aug 11, 2006
  6. Dylan Parry Guest

    Gordon Hudson wrote:

    > There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:
    >
    > "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

    IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
    virtual sweets? :)

    > I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
    > the younger readers.

    I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

    --
    Dylan Parry - http://electricfreedom.org

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

    Dylan Parry, Aug 11, 2006
  7. Kevin Lyons Guest

    > "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"
    >
    > I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some

    of
    > the younger readers.

    Don't put yourself down Gordon, nothing a little Grecian 2000 can't fix :)

    It reminds me a lot of HSBC and AOL.
    Would people use them if they were given their full names?

    --
    Regards

    John Lyons
    Netserve Consultants Limited
    www.discountadsl.co.uk
    ADSL from £9.99 per month.

    Kevin Lyons, Aug 11, 2006
  8. "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon Hudson wrote:
    >
    >> There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the
    >> question:
    >>
    >> "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

    > IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
    > virtual sweets? :)

    Thats correct.
    Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.

    >> I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some
    >> of
    >> the younger readers.

    > I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

    Must have been an early starter.
    I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
    tucows for winsock software.

    Gordon Hudson, Aug 11, 2006
  9. "Kevin Lyons" <> wrote in message

    >> "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"
    >>
    >> I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some

    > of
    >> the younger readers.

    > Don't put yourself down Gordon, nothing a little Grecian 2000 can't fix
    > :)
    >
    > It reminds me a lot of HSBC and AOL.
    > Would people use them if they were given their full names?

    Probably not.

    Tucows were giving away promotional "stress" cows at one time.
    I got my own back:

    http://www.hudson.nu/pics/cow.html

    Gordon Hudson, Aug 11, 2006
  10. Fleeing from the madness of the jungle
    Gordon Hudson <> stumbled into
    and said:

    > Tucows were giving away promotional "stress" cows at one time.
    > I got my own back:
    >
    > http://www.hudson.nu/pics/cow.html

    amazing - I was in one of the local pubs the other evening - it's been
    tarted up since I was last in - as well as a large collection of TinTin
    paraphernalia they also have a lifesize dalek.

    --
    William Tasso

    http://williamtasso.com/words/what-is-usenet.asp

    William Tasso, Aug 11, 2006
  11. Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:08:12 +0100, "Gordon Hudson"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> If you go to this webhosting review site:
    >> http://thehostingchart.com
    >> you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    >> ixwebhosting.com
    >>
    >> Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will find:
    >>
    >> Domain: thehostingchart.com
    >> Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >>
    >> Domain: ixwebhosting.com
    >> Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >>
    >> It looks like tucows is also in the webhosting business and puts up web
    >> sites _pretending_ to be a legitimate hosting review site and places
    >> their hosting domains as #1. When I saw thehostingchart.com I was
    >> wondering why they actually pay ad money at google and they only have a
    >> few web pages. Why does this world bread so many unethical people?
    >>
    >> BTW, TUCOWS INC. is the download site tucows.com.
    >>
    >> Domain: tucows.com
    >> Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
    >>
    >> I'm a software developer. A lot of us developers who sell their own
    >> software at download sites know that tucows.com is unethical, but
    >> that's another story.
    >>
    >> Shame on Tucows!
    >>
    >> Paul

    >On that basis they own most UK web sites because 123-REG, UKREG/FASTHOSTS,
    >UK2 and ourselves all do our gtld registrations through TUCOWS.
    >
    >There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the question:
    >
    >"What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"
    >
    >I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some of
    >the younger readers.

    The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software.

    VERONICA?

    BB
    --
    http://www.here-be-posters.co.uk/marilyn-monroe-pictures.htm
    http://www.kruse.co.uk/seo-maintenance.htm

    Big Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  12. jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Gordon Hudson exclaimed (11-Aug-06 5:49 PM):
    > "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon Hudson wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the
    >>> question:
    >>>
    >>> "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

    >> IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
    >> virtual sweets? :)

    > Thats correct.
    > Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.
    >
    >>> I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some
    >>> of
    >>> the younger readers.

    >> I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

    > Must have been an early starter.
    > I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
    > tucows for winsock software.

    ooh! ooh! Can I play?

    I remember connecting to bbses. I can't remember why but think I was
    looking for software...

    The first computer I ever owned was a Commodore Vic20. With a "tape"
    drive. I was poor, so used 30-minute audio tapes for data storage.

    Through some weird set of circumstances after I graduated, my Vic20
    ended up in my college's "computer museum", where I saw it in the late
    90s. Still had the "peek" and "poke" numbers I'd taped on it way back
    when (1980 or thereabouts).

    And, I was almost right, I remembered it as "The Ultimate Collection Of
    Windows Software"

    jmc

    jmc, Aug 11, 2006
  13. Dylan Parry Guest

    Gordon Hudson wrote:

    >> IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
    >> virtual sweets? :)

    > Thats correct.

    Yay!

    > Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.

    In which case, please send them to my virtual tummy ;)

    Dylan Parry, Aug 11, 2006
  14. Nick Kew Guest

    Big Bill wrote:

    > VERONICA?

    ARCHIE's girlfriend, of course.

    --
    not me guv

    Nick Kew, Aug 11, 2006
  15. John A. Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:19:23 +0100, "Gordon Hudson"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon Hudson wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a virtual packet of sweets for anyone who can answer the
    >>> question:
    >>>
    >>> "What does the anacronym TUCOWS stand for?"

    >> IIRC it's "The Ultimate Collection of Winsock Software". What are the
    >> virtual sweets? :)

    >Thats correct.
    >Virtual sweets are virtually edible but have only virtual calories.
    >

    >>> I already know the answer but I am very very old and it might amuse some
    >>> of
    >>> the younger readers.

    >> I'm 24. Surely I'm not old? :s

    >Must have been an early starter.
    >I remember trying to get PS/2 machines to connect via modems and trawling
    >tucows for winsock software.

    I was a Stroud's man, myself.

    So, are we all going to put our geek codes in our sigs now or what? :)

    John A., Aug 11, 2006

    Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > If you go to this webhosting review site:
    > > http://thehostingchart.com
    > > you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    > > ixwebhosting.com
    > >
    > > Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will
    > > find:

    > Registrant != registrar.

    You're right.

    What are they selling at thehostingchart.com? They're paying for google
    ads and they hardly have any web pages.

    Paul

    , Aug 11, 2006
  17. Big Bill Guest

    Big Bill, Aug 11, 2006
  18. wrote:

    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > If you go to this webhosting review site:
    > > > http://thehostingchart.com
    > > > you might find it interesting that the highest rated host is
    > > > ixwebhosting.com
    > > >
    > > > Guess what? If you dig a little into who owns the sites you will
    > > > find:

    > > Registrant != registrar.

    > You're right.
    >
    > What are they selling at thehostingchart.com? They're paying for
    > google ads and they hardly have any web pages.

    Tucows isn't selling anything at thehostingchart.com or even paying for
    Google ads. The only money in this chain even handled by Tucows was the
    registration fee for the domain. Other than handling the registration
    for the domain, they have nothing to do with thehostingchart.com.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Aug 11, 2006
  19. Nick Kew Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:02:32 +0100, Nick Kew
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Big Bill wrote:
    >>> VERONICA?

    >> ARCHIE's girlfriend, of course.

    > No, I meant what's it stand for.

    whoosh!

    --
    not me guv

    Nick Kew, Aug 11, 2006
  20. Owen Rees Guest

    On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:12:44 GMT, Big Bill <> wrote
    in <>:

    >>Big Bill wrote:
    >>>
    >>> VERONICA?

    >>ARCHIE's girlfriend, of course.

    >No, I meant what's it stand for.

    The answer is Very Easy ... to find on the web. There was a time when
    looking for that kind of information you might have gone to VERONICA as
    a Very Easy ... and so on.

    I remember ARCHIE, but I don't think I ever used VERONICA.

    --
    Owen Rees
    [one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be

    Owen Rees, Aug 11, 2006