    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Jun 10, 2007

  2. On Jun 11, 12:24 am, "GaryDean" <> wrote:
    > I got and read the first few chapters of Scot Hillers book on sharepoint
    > 2007 for C# and it appears to address Portal server, which is expensive to
    > license, and it appears to be a huge investment requireing several servers,
    > active directory, lots of time, staffs of people, etc.
    >
    > I;m trying to understand the potential of using just WSS with asp.net to
    > develop asp.net applications that can use WSS services and web parts to
    > create useful applications without using SharePoint Portal server. Is there
    > potential in using just WSS with asp.net development?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Gary Blakely

    Hi Gary

    WSS is a platform built on ASP.NET and extending this platform would
    mean WSS development using VS.NET. This could be useful only if you
    need WSS. There are few things that can be done with help of VS.NET:
    Sharepoint and ASP.NET Web Parts, workflows, custom field types.

    Cheers

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 11, 2007

  3. Hi Gary,

    As for The Windows SharePoint service(WSS3.0), it has already provided much
    development features (such as service and programing interfaces. For
    example, document library service, web part sdk.... The main enhancement
    of MOSS 2007(SPS) is that it provides more enterprise portal specific
    features such as rich workflow support, Enterprise templates , and advanced
    indexing searching functionality.

    #What's a MOSS 2007 vs. WSS v3 Feature?
    http://andrewconnell.com/blog/archive/2006/10/18/4910.aspx

    and here is a blog article about programing WSS 3 WEBPARTS with ASP.NET 2.0
    :

    #Working with ASP.NET 2.0 Web Parts and Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
    http://blogs.msdn.com/erikaehrli/archive/2007/04/05/ASPNET2.0WebPartsAndWind
    owsSharepointServices3.0.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,