She's coming 'round the mountain

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne Boswell, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. For more than three years, I have been beating my head against the wall
    trying to get my boss to understand that a web site is not a piece of
    paper.

    I must have done a good job. The charity for whom she just took over as
    president hired someone to do their web site. Today she emailed this
    person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
    strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says. She gave him the URLs to test
    with, and even offered to have me test (I've already done that of course
    - and it failed). Why, she even told the guy he needed to use semantic
    markup!

    Then she nicely explained the reasons to validate:
    1. Check for problems that can cause havoc in different browsers
    2. SEO
    3. Pride in knowing you have no markup errors.

    So, there's hope out there for those of you who have bosses/clients who
    don't/won't understand. Just keep educating.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Adrienne Boswell

    cf Guest

    let it be known on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 02:05:16 GMT
    Adrienne Boswell <> scribed:

    |For more than three years, I have been beating my head against the wall
    |trying to get my boss to understand that a web site is not a piece of
    |paper.
    |
    |I must have done a good job. The charity for whom she just took over as
    |president hired someone to do their web site. Today she emailed this
    |person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
    |strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says. She gave him the URLs to test
    |with, and even offered to have me test (I've already done that of course
    |- and it failed). Why, she even told the guy he needed to use semantic
    |markup!
    |
    |Then she nicely explained the reasons to validate:
    |1. Check for problems that can cause havoc in different browsers
    |2. SEO
    |3. Pride in knowing you have no markup errors.
    |
    |So, there's hope out there for those of you who have bosses/clients who
    |don't/won't understand. Just keep educating.

    Congratulations Adrienne, some can be shown the light!

    --
    chet <>
    I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

    cf, Aug 23, 2007

  3. On Aug 22, 10:05 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > Today she emailed this
    > person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
    > strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says.

    Please tell me Cynthia says is not a good example of what an
    accessible site looks like.

    Travis Newbury, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
    <> writing in news:1187862473.173732.107210
    @r23g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

    > On Aug 22, 10:05 pm, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    >> Today she emailed this
    >> person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
    >> strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says.

    > Please tell me Cynthia says is not a good example of what an
    > accessible site looks like.

    For what it's for, it's fine, all though it might seem confusing to a
    beginner, but the w3's validator is confusing for beginners as well.

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 23, 2007
  5. On Aug 23, 11:14 am, Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:
    > > Please tell me Cynthia says is not a good example of what an
    > > accessible site looks like.

    > For what it's for, it's fine, all though it might seem confusing to a
    > beginner, but the w3's validator is confusing for beginners as well.

    I did not think it was confusing, I just thought it was extremely
    unappealing. But then no sense in making it look nice if it's job (at
    least one of them) is to make sure your website is accessible to the
    blind.

    On a similar note, I remember a Saturday Night Live skit years ago
    (SNL classic days) where they were dedicating a portrait of Ray
    Charles to Ray Charles. He was standing there with the SNL cast
    around him and the portrait under a sheet. Ray pulls off the sheet
    and all there is, is a picture frame surrounding a poster with the
    words "SHHH! Don't Tell Him!"....

    Travis Newbury, Aug 23, 2007