She's coming 'round the mountain

Adrienne Boswell

For more than three years, I have been beating my head against the wall
trying to get my boss to understand that a web site is not a piece of
paper.

I must have done a good job. The charity for whom she just took over as
president hired someone to do their web site. Today she emailed this
person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says. She gave him the URLs to test
with, and even offered to have me test (I've already done that of course
- and it failed). Why, she even told the guy he needed to use semantic
markup!

Then she nicely explained the reasons to validate:
1. Check for problems that can cause havoc in different browsers
2. SEO
3. Pride in knowing you have no markup errors.

So, there's hope out there for those of you who have bosses/clients who
don't/won't understand. Just keep educating.

cf

let it be known on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 02:05:16 GMT
Adrienne Boswell <[email protected]> scribed:

|For more than three years, I have been beating my head against the wall
|trying to get my boss to understand that a web site is not a piece of
|paper.
|
|I must have done a good job. The charity for whom she just took over as
|president hired someone to do their web site. Today she emailed this
|person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
|strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says. She gave him the URLs to test
|with, and even offered to have me test (I've already done that of course
|- and it failed). Why, she even told the guy he needed to use semantic
|markup!
|
|Then she nicely explained the reasons to validate:
|1. Check for problems that can cause havoc in different browsers
|2. SEO
|3. Pride in knowing you have no markup errors.
|
|So, there's hope out there for those of you who have bosses/clients who
|don't/won't understand. Just keep educating.

Congratulations Adrienne, some can be shown the light!

Travis Newbury

Today she emailed this
person and told him in no uncertain terms that the site had to pass
strict validation, CSS, and Cynthia Says.

Please tell me Cynthia says is not a good example of what an
accessible site looks like.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Travis Newbury
Please tell me Cynthia says is not a good example of what an
accessible site looks like.

For what it's for, it's fine, all though it might seem confusing to a
beginner, but the w3's validator is confusing for beginners as well.

Travis Newbury

For what it's for, it's fine, all though it might seem confusing to a
beginner, but the w3's validator is confusing for beginners as well.

I did not think it was confusing, I just thought it was extremely
unappealing. But then no sense in making it look nice if it's job (at
least one of them) is to make sure your website is accessible to the
blind.

On a similar note, I remember a Saturday Night Live skit years ago
(SNL classic days) where they were dedicating a portrait of Ray
Charles to Ray Charles. He was standing there with the SNL cast
around him and the portrait under a sheet. Ray pulls off the sheet
and all there is, is a picture frame surrounding a poster with the
words "SHHH! Don't Tell Him!"....