Show me the way

Travis Newbury

How about some REAL examples? There is a lot of advice floating around
here about how you "should" do a web site. But no real examples. Sure
everyone points people the their personal page, or their "how to"
tutorial that they wrote. But I never see an examples of a real
company website that anyone is proud to show off.

This leads me to believe that "talk is cheap". It is simple to tell
people what they "should" do. But a little more dificult to convince
the customer that they too "should" do it this way.

I can not go to my customer and tell them they should have a fully
accessable site, viewable by all in the world reguardless of how they
get there. If I can not show them a REAL example of such a site.
ESPECIALY when their bigest compeditor uses Flash, or JS navigation.
(Not to mention ALL of this probably works on their IE browser.)

Telling the customer they may loses customers because of their website
is meaningless if their website works for them and their friends.
Turning off Javascript or activeX is "nice" but the customer says "Who
the heck knows how to do that?" or "well they will turn it on if they
want my stuff"

There are "in a perfect world" reasons to do something (what we read
here all the time) and "Hey wake up, this is reality" reasons.

How about some REAL examples to help prove the point?
Any takers? I am staring to hold my breath now....

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
[...]

http://digitalharmony.no-ip.com/subhuman10/

Not finished by far (launches in jan), but one of the projects I'm
happiest with. Fixed width, frames, tables and Flash, RSS, JavaScript
but all managed through a ASP content manager I wrote running on
SQLServer, and the whol front end formatted through CSS. Also, fully
validating. Everything I ever learned is in this site in one way or another.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Travis Newbury

=====
http://digitalharmony.no-ip.com/subhuman10/

Not finished by far (launches in jan), but one of the projects I'm
happiest with. Fixed width, frames, tables and Flash, RSS, JavaScript
but all managed through a ASP content manager I wrote running on
SQLServer, and the whol front end formatted through CSS. Also, fully
validating. Everything I ever learned is in this site in one way or
another.
=====

Great Band site. It has "feeling" (what ever that is). But fixed
width, frames, flash, and javascript are all things "condemmed as evil"
here.

Which leads me to believe, that maybe there are some sites where these
things are acceptable. A band site (dependant on the band I guess) is
probalby a good example where things like this work better. (That's an
observation not a statement)

Steve Pugh

How about some REAL examples? There is a lot of advice floating around
here about how you "should" do a web site. But no real examples. Sure
everyone points people the their personal page, or their "how to"
tutorial that they wrote. But I never see an examples of a real
company website that anyone is proud to show off.

See my response in another thread as to why I, and I guess others, can
not or will not do that.
This leads me to believe that "talk is cheap". It is simple to tell
people what they "should" do. But a little more dificult to convince
the customer that they too "should" do it this way.

So do you want examples of web sites or examples of winning arguments?
I can not go to my customer and tell them they should have a fully
accessable site, viewable by all in the world reguardless of how they
get there. If I can not show them a REAL example of such a site.
ESPECIALY when their bigest compeditor uses Flash, or JS navigation.
(Not to mention ALL of this probably works on their IE browser.)

So? Build your flash or JS website. But make sure that it also works
without those technologies. Accessibile web sites do not need to be
bland and plain; that's a strawman and should be ignored.

Is your company interested in attracting trendy young people with lots
of money to burn? Great because those are the people who will be
surfing the web on their wrist watches or whatever next year's coolest
gadget turns out to be.

On the other hand, all the baby boomers are now entering a very
wealthy late middle age. That's a big market sector, and one that's
going to be experiencing increasing eyesight problems over the next
few years. Drop all those text-as-images and px sized text and make
sure that all your content is resizable and hence legible.

In 2004 IE's market share dropped for the first time in years. Only by
a couple of percent, but the idea that IE is the WWW is officially
over.

Where are you? In an increasing number of countries accessibility is a
legal requirement for some categories of web sites. If you're in the
US then only government web sites are affected. But in the UK and
Australia commercial sites are also affected.
Telling the customer they may loses customers because of their website
is meaningless if their website works for them and their friends.
Turning off Javascript or activeX is "nice" but the customer says "Who
the heck knows how to do that?"

How about corporate firewalls that block downloads of [whatever]?
or "well they will turn it on if they want my stuff"

Really? Go to site, see blank screen, go away.
There are "in a perfect world" reasons to do something (what we read
here all the time) and "Hey wake up, this is reality" reasons.

Reality is that a web site that works for 100% of people has a larger
market than one that works for 99% of people.

Reality is that if your web site works the same way as other web sites
then users will find it easier to use. It doesn't matter if your
whizzy design and cool effects attract more chimps if the chimps can't
figure out how to use your whizzy shopping basket to place an order.

Steve

Travis Newbury

=====
See my response in another thread as to why I, and I guess others, can
not or will not do that.
=====

I feel that is a woosy way out. YMMV

=====
This leads me to believe that "talk is cheap". It is simple to tell
people what they "should" do. But a little more dificult to convince
the customer that they too "should" do it this way.
So do you want examples of web sites or examples of winning arguments?
=====

Winning arguments can be meaningless if you can not show the customer a
real life example. I can defeat the any argument you have by opening
IE and displaying the "broken site" on the clients computer.

=====
So? Build your flash or JS website. But make sure that it also works
without those technologies. Accessibile web sites do not need to be
bland and plain; that's a strawman and should be ignored.
Is your company interested in attracting trendy young people with lots
of money to burn? Great because those are the people who will be
surfing the web on their wrist watches or whatever next year's coolest
gadget turns out to be.
=====

Good argument, but where's the beef? Show me the proof that I am
losing thousands because someone can not see the site on a wristwatch
browser. Does the proof even exist? Not to mention "Mr. customer,
when is the last time you went browsing on your phone?" chances are
they never have.

=====
On the other hand, all the baby boomers are now entering a very
wealthy late middle age. That's a big market sector, and one that's
going to be experiencing increasing eyesight problems over the next
few years. Drop all those text-as-images and px sized text and make
sure that all your content is resizable and hence legible.
=====

"Well, Mr. Joe Client, just open IE and go to the site. Well you can
see everthing and so can everyone else. Oh those few people that have
bad eyesite can easily change the size of the fonts.... They are use
to doing that all the time. "

Argument defeated. Why? Because it WORKED on the clients browser.

=====
In 2004 IE's market share dropped for the first time in years. Only by
a couple of percent, but the idea that IE is the WWW is officially
over.
=====

I use Firefox, and never have issues viewing websites. So that
argument is menaingless. With the exception of a few querks in the way
IE handles borders, all comercial sites look more or less identical in
both browsers.

=====
Where are you? In an increasing number of countries accessibility is a
legal requirement for some categories of web sites. If you're in the
US then only government web sites are affected. But in the UK and
Australia commercial sites are also affected.
=====

In the US. So that's all that matters to me (and to most companies in
the US) "The punchline" in Atlanta Georgia does not give a crap about
accessability laws in England.

=====
How about corporate firewalls that block downloads of [whatever]?
=====

That argument may work if the company's biggest clients are corporate
sales, but...

Mr. Customer, Companies are really cracking down on "browsing" at the
office. These people will all come back to you site when they are at
home....

=====
Really? Go to site, see blank screen, go away.
=====

With the exception of the fringe sites, a blank screen is hardly what
the IE, mozilla, or opera user will see.

=====
Reality is that a web site that works for 100% of people has a larger
market than one that works for 99% of people.
=====
This is true if (and only if) design is meaningless in all cases.
Unfortunataly, the animals browsing the web are Humans.

=====
Reality is that if your web site works the same way as other web sites
then users will find it easier to use.
=====

So if your website works the way the others do (and the majority of the
others are bad you have to agree) This seems to be the exact opposite
of everything else you just said. Do I make my site like the rest of
the web, or do I make it like the ones no one (including yourself) will
show here?

Please do not take this thread the wrong way. I am sure there are
plenty of people here that would love to give their client a great
accessable site, but are tired of losing contract to the wiz-bang
developers because they can defeat any accessability argument you can
come up with by simply opening the site in IE.

"only a few nerds and computer geeks use the other browsers" will win
every time.

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
=====
http://digitalharmony.no-ip.com/subhuman10/

Not finished by far (launches in jan), but one of the projects I'm
happiest with. Fixed width, frames, tables and Flash, RSS, JavaScript
but all managed through a ASP content manager I wrote running on
SQLServer, and the whol front end formatted through CSS. Also, fully
validating. Everything I ever learned is in this site in one way or
another.
=====

Great Band site. It has "feeling" (what ever that is). But fixed
width, frames, flash, and javascript are all things "condemmed as evil"
here.

Which is why I made a point of mentioning them :)
Which leads me to believe, that maybe there are some sites where these
things are acceptable. A band site (dependant on the band I guess) is
probalby a good example where things like this work better. (That's an
observation not a statement)

Exactly. People might moan and bitch all they want about the
"technically correct thing to do", but to be quite honest most punters
simply dont care. They're fickle creatures easily swayed by pretty looks
and "exciting" content.

However I DO go to great lengths to make sure it all works pretty well
in most browsers, and all of the content is accessible without Flash or
JavaScript... (or will be, some bits not quite finished).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

On 20 Dec 2004 05:55:03 -0800, "Travis Newbury"

Please quote in a more normal fashion and include attributions. It's
very difficult to tell what's written by you and what's written by
other people.
=====
See my response in another thread as to why I, and I guess others, can
not or will not do that.
=====

I feel that is a woosy way out. YMMV

I can not discuss a client's web site in a public forum without their
consent. If that makes me woosy (wussy? woozey? I don't know the only
definition of woosy I can find is a variant of "oozy" which doesn't
seem to fit) then so be it. I call it professionalism.
So do you want examples of web sites or examples of winning arguments?
=====

Winning arguments can be meaningless if you can not show the customer a
real life example. I can defeat the any argument you have by opening
IE and displaying the "broken site" on the clients computer.

Fine. If your client only wants a site that works in IE with factory
settings and all optional technologies turned on get him to sign off
on that spec. You've upheld your end of the bargain - you've pointed
out the problems with doing it that way and he's decided that he's not
interested. Take his money, build his site and move on.
=====
Is your company interested in attracting trendy young people with lots
of money to burn? Great because those are the people who will be
surfing the web on their wrist watches or whatever next year's coolest
gadget turns out to be.
=====

Good argument, but where's the beef? Show me the proof that I am
losing thousands because someone can not see the site on a wristwatch
browser. Does the proof even exist? Not to mention "Mr. customer,
when is the last time you went browsing on your phone?" chances are
they never have.

The point is that you can not predict what the next big thing will be.
But if you write according to standards then you have a better chance
of being handled properly by whatever it is.
=====
On the other hand, all the baby boomers are now entering a very
wealthy late middle age. That's a big market sector, and one that's
going to be experiencing increasing eyesight problems over the next
few years. Drop all those text-as-images and px sized text and make
sure that all your content is resizable and hence legible.
=====

"Well, Mr. Joe Client, just open IE and go to the site. Well you can
see everthing and so can everyone else. Oh those few people that have
bad eyesite can easily change the size of the fonts.... They are use
to doing that all the time. "

No they're not. If the text is rendered as graphics or sized with px
in CSS then they can not resize it in IE. So your client is either
ignorant or lieing when then say that, it's your job as the
professional expert to politely correct them.

Anyway, why should your client care how you code font sizes in CSS?
I've never met a client who insisted on px font sizes.
Argument defeated. Why? Because it WORKED on the clients browser.

Ask your client to have his mother test the site. Ask your client to
sit a few feet further back and test the web site.

Anyway, no one is suggesting that it shouldn't work in the client's
browser. But why not have it work in the client's browser and everyone
else's?
=====
Where are you? In an increasing number of countries accessibility is a
legal requirement for some categories of web sites. If you're in the
US then only government web sites are affected. But in the UK and
Australia commercial sites are also affected.
=====

In the US. So that's all that matters to me (and to most companies in
the US) "The punchline" in Atlanta Georgia does not give a crap about
accessability laws in England.

Well, this newsgroup is about the WWW, so the advice you get here will
assume that you're asking about a global audience. Please go to a
US-centric newsgroup for US-centric advice.
=====
How about corporate firewalls that block downloads of [whatever]?
=====

That argument may work if the company's biggest clients are corporate
sales, but...

Mr. Customer, Companies are really cracking down on "browsing" at the
office. These people will all come back to you site when they are at
home....

Ah, at home, where they only have dial up rather than a nice fat
corporate pipe...
=====
Really? Go to site, see blank screen, go away.
=====

With the exception of the fringe sites, a blank screen is hardly what
the IE, mozilla, or opera user will see.

If your site is built in Flash with no fallback then a user without
Flash will see a blank screen. Ditto many graphic heavy sites with no
alt attributes. Or sites that rely on JS to redirect to different
pages or to load content.
=====
Reality is that a web site that works for 100% of people has a larger
market than one that works for 99% of people.
=====
This is true if (and only if) design is meaningless in all cases.
Unfortunataly, the animals browsing the web are Humans.

The design can be anything you like. A site that works for 100% of
users and which looks 'cool' for 99% of them still beats a site that
works for 99% of users and which looks cool for 100% of that 99%.
=====
Reality is that if your web site works the same way as other web sites
then users will find it easier to use.
=====

So if your website works the way the others do (and the majority of the
others are bad you have to agree)

99% of web sites are crap. 99% of everything is crap.

But most web sites do not colour the scroll bars. Most web sites use
HTML forms for inputs. Most web sites only carry out minimal CSS
formatting on form elements. Most web sites do not open new windows.
Most web sites do not try to disable the right mouse click. Most web
sites do not use Flash. Most web sites do not use frames. Most web
sites do not **** up the back button.
This seems to be the exact opposite
of everything else you just said. Do I make my site like the rest of
the web, or do I make it like the ones no one (including yourself) will
show here?

Try using a shopping basket built in Flash to one built with standard
HTML. See how the little things like cursors and stored user data are
different or absent. Those little things make users feel comfortable
and secure. And when you're trying to get their credit card details
its the little things that count. And look at a shopping cart built
entirely in Flash where multiple pages are in the same movie. Whoops,
if you use the back button to check on something you entered on the
previous 'page'.

I recently upgraded both PhotoShop and Dreamweaver. The Adobe site was
easy to use and the upgrade purchase took less tha five minutes. The
Macromedia site use Flash heavily for no good reason other than
corporate pride and was a pain to use. Three browsers, several
clearings of the cache and restarts, an angry e-mail to customer
support and over half an hour later I finally purchased the upgrade.
Next time I buy from Amazon not direct from Macromedia. The Amazon
forms all work the way I expect them to work and work in all my
browsers and don't need any extra plugins to be installed and enabled.
That's good usability. That leads to fewer abandoned purchases.
Please do not take this thread the wrong way. I am sure there are
plenty of people here that would love to give their client a great
accessable site, but are tired of losing contract to the wiz-bang
developers because they can defeat any accessability argument you can
come up with by simply opening the site in IE.

And a few months later I'm asked to come in and fix the broken site.
It happens.

Only this morning I got a phone call asking from a recruiter asking
whether I could do layout with CSS instead of tables and whether I
could build sites to WAI Level AA.

I've been doing this stuff for seven years. I've been pushing
standards and accessibility all that time and over the last few years
I've seen huge changes in the market - web sites that are cool to look
at but a pain to use are so lats century. If Atlanta, Georgia hasn't
caught up with the rest of the world then maybe you need to start
educating it.
"only a few nerds and computer geeks use the other browsers" will win
every time.

Nerds and computer geeks spend more on online than other people.

Actually, some of the greatest resistance to using standards comes
from the nerds and computer geeks. The ones who code ASP and run IIS
servers and blather on about needing to support IE and how MS make the
'de facto' standard. The marketing and design crowds are often much
more open to the idea of reaching a larger more varied audience.

I build sites that are as accessible and usable as possible. Even when
the client isn't interested I do the best job I can. I don't need
permission to do things the right way and neither do you. Try it.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
Good argument, but where's the beef? Show me the proof that I am
losing thousands because someone can not see the site on a wristwatch
browser. Does the proof even exist? Not to mention "Mr. customer,
when is the last time you went browsing on your phone?" chances are
they never have.

It's more common sense than anything. Imagine your client in a years
time - 30% of people no longer using IE, or worse. And your site doesn't
work. Lawyers come a-knocking at your door...
In the US. So that's all that matters to me (and to most companies in
the US) "The punchline" in Atlanta Georgia does not give a crap about
accessability laws in England.

The US and Europe both have legally enforcable laws when it comes to
accessibility. It only takes one person to sue your client and your
client will turn right back around and do it to you. When accessibility
is so easily achieved it's just pure stupidity not to at least consider
the issues when building sites. Further more, isn't there some sort of
moral incentive here? You dont do these things "because you have to",
it's more about what you SHOULD do.
So if your website works the way the others do (and the majority of the
others are bad you have to agree) This seems to be the exact opposite
of everything else you just said. Do I make my site like the rest of
the web, or do I make it like the ones no one (including yourself) will
show here?

You make a web site for your clients audience (rather than the client
herself). If you can achieve this and hit a wider audience AND satisfy
any moral/legal requirements at the same time, dont you thing that is a
smart idea?
Please do not take this thread the wrong way. I am sure there are
plenty of people here that would love to give their client a great
accessable site, but are tired of losing contract to the wiz-bang
developers because they can defeat any accessability argument you can
come up with by simply opening the site in IE.

Hardly. I design "wiz-bang" sites for bands (American bands). We're
based in Scotland. We're very aware of the legal side of accessibility,
and the fact that IE is loosing market share every month. Accessibility
laws might start getting enforced, and I really don't want to be on the
smelly end of Universal Musics' lawyers.

I can defeat your argument just as easily by loading IE in front of a
visually impaired person.
"only a few nerds and computer geeks use the other browsers" will win
every time.

1 in 10 people use other browsers. That's a lot of nerds who might buy
your clients products from their web site...

And, gawd... learn how to quote properly will you? What's with all these
"===". Makes it impossible to read. That standard is >>, which means a
modern newsreader colour codes replies and quotes...

ANYWAY

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Travis Newbury

=====
Fine. If your client only wants a site that works in IE with factory
settings and all optional technologies turned on get him to sign off
on that spec.
=====

I am not saying that. And you are not understanding what I am asking.
Any argument you can come up with to a potential client can be
defeated by your competition (who does not make accessable sites)
Every time by showing the client the site works on their browser.

You are missing the point of my question. Thanks for yor input.

Travis Newbury

=====
It's more common sense than anything. Imagine your client in a years
time - 30% of people no longer using IE, or worse. And your site
doesn't
work. Lawyers come a-knocking at your door...
=====

Not true. The sites all work in firefox , and opera, and netscape too.
The border or margin might be a little off a little, but I use
firefox all the time and never run into a site that does not work..
Even those optimized for IE.

And this thread has answered my question. Accessabilty and usability
are big ticket items in this forum, but no [very few] corporate
comercial sites seem to care as much as the people here do. (Your
company, digital harmony, is living proof) So if you are big on
"concept" and "doing what is right" then you head the down the
accesability road. If you want to be commercially successful, you make
some consessions to acessability and usability.

I am not proclaiming right or wrong, only that it [accessability
usability] does not seem to be the norm, or even compeditive, when
building corporate comercial sites.

Thanks all.

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
=====
It's more common sense than anything. Imagine your client in a years
time - 30% of people no longer using IE, or worse. And your site
doesn't
work. Lawyers come a-knocking at your door...
=====

Not true. The sites all work in firefox , and opera, and netscape too.
The border or margin might be a little off a little, but I use
firefox all the time and never run into a site that does not work..
Even those optimized for IE.

I meant in the future :)
And this thread has answered my question. Accessabilty and usability
are big ticket items in this forum, but no [very few] corporate
comercial sites seem to care as much as the people here do.

The short-sightedness of big companies is hardly an excuse for you to do
it too.
(Your
company, digital harmony, is living proof) So if you are big on
"concept" and "doing what is right" then you head the down the
accesability road. If you want to be commercially successful, you make
some consessions to acessability and usability.

I am not proclaiming right or wrong, only that it [accessability
usability] does not seem to be the norm, or even compeditive, when
building corporate comercial sites.

Our commercial site doesn't have a wide audience. If we did that with
some of our customers' commercial sites we'd be dead meat.

"Accessability usability" is just something you should do - it's not
something to argue about.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

And you are not understanding what I am asking.
Any argument you can come up with to a potential client can be
defeated by your competition (who does not make accessable sites)
Every time by showing the client the site works on their browser.

Fine. The competition gets the work and I don't. But I've been doing
this for seven years and I haven't starved yet. So obviously something
is at odds with reality.
You are missing the point of my question.

Can you tell us what the point is?
Thanks for yor input.

You're welcome.

Steve

Karl Core

Travis Newbury said:
=====
Fine. If your client only wants a site that works in IE with factory
settings and all optional technologies turned on get him to sign off
on that spec.
=====

I am not saying that. And you are not understanding what I am asking.
Any argument you can come up with to a potential client can be
defeated by your competition (who does not make accessable sites)
Every time by showing the client the site works on their browser.

You are missing the point of my question. Thanks for yor input.

Clients do not know and do not care about any of the dozens of reasons that
can be floated about why a site must be made to be cross-browser,
accessible, and user-friendly.

I'll be the first to tell you that there's a ton of proselytizing on this
and other geek NGs by people who know jack shit about business or users. A
lot of them have had their opinions formed by other crackpot proselytizers
like ole Jake Nielsen and his cooked-up numbers and lamebrained advice -
"Make sure your customers can contact you". No shit?? Whodathunkit?

The truth is, a website's true, independent ROI for a brick & mortar
business is hard to calculate to begin with. Trying to sell a client on
standards & accessibility is damn near impossible. But in my opinion,
building a standards compliant, accessible site is part of doing a good job.
I wish people would stop treating it as though it was something extra.

Let's face it, if you **** up and forget to put a ")" at the end of a
function in PHP, the whole thing wouldn't work. But browsers are much too
forgiving of tag soup. I think it is time we change the tide on all these
slackass "designers" out there. Instead of us having to explain why we
think standards are such a big deal, why don't we ask them to explain why
they think they can turn out shitty work?

As for Usability related concerns - the importance is directly related to
the impact on the user. Are "splash screens" a stupid idea? You bet. But do
they really keep people away from buying from a company? No. But here's
where that whole fuzzy ROI business comes in - on the surface, a splash
screen is only a mere annoyance. But what about replacing the splash screen
with important news or special offers? Or, for an e-commerce site, what
about using a cookie-based system that remembers user's last purchases &
inquiries and recommends related products? Now the minorly annoying splash
screen is replaced with a user-friendly and helpful cross-sell, thus giving
a much higher *potential* ROI for making a user-friendly site.

This is what you must latch onto - there is a lot of talk about how bad
things are. The measure of the negative impact must be combined with the
potential benefit of the fix and applied appropriately. Nothing more,
nothing less, because the client just doesn't care.

Steve Pugh

=====
Fine. If your client only wants a site that works in IE with factory
settings and all optional technologies turned on get him to sign off
on that spec.
=====

I am not saying that. And you are not understanding what I am asking.
Any argument you can come up with to a potential client can be
defeated by your competition (who does not make accessable sites)
Every time by showing the client the site works on their browser.

If your client is not interested in accessibility or usability or
future proofing, etc. then you will not win the job by focussing on
those things. Likewise if the client is interested in those things
then you will not get the job by focussing on gee-whizz stuff. Basic
new business sense is to focus the pitch on what the client is
interested in.

Instead you win the job by being cheaper or faster or better designers
or more robust back end systems. And then you offer the accessibility,
etc. as a value added bonus.

Once you've won the job then you can start working on the client to
persuade them to adopt a more accessible approach (though for many
things you don't need to raise it, just code it in an accessible as
default). The competition is no longer in the picture.

I build standards compliant, accessible web sites. I get some business
as a direct consequence of being able to do that. I get some other
business as a consequence of being very fast and very reliable, the
accessibility, etc. just comes as a bonus in those cases. And often
the client is impressed and enlightened and remembers that
accessibility is important and can be included at no extra cost.

Steve

Travis Newbury

Karl said:
...This is what you must latch onto - there is a lot of talk about how bad
things are. The measure of the negative impact must be combined with the
potential benefit of the fix and applied appropriately. Nothing more,
nothing less, because the client just doesn't care.
Good write up. Thanks Karl!

Travis Newbury

SpaceGirl said:
The short-sightedness of big companies is hardly an excuse for you to do
it too.

No it isn't. But until some one is independatally wealthy, and can
afford to turn away business to satisfy their dedication to doing it
the right way, We wil continue to go down the path of evil... (0o)
Our commercial site doesn't have a wide audience. If we did that with
some of our customers' commercial sites we'd be dead meat.

But the argument seems to be (in this forum) that by creatingthe site
so it is fully accessable, then these customers you are currently
turning away (the ones that can not see your design site for one reason
or another) will come flocking to your doot with money in hand.

I am not seeing that happen in the real world.
"Accessability usability" is just something you should do - it's not
something to argue about.

I hope I am not coming across as arguing about it. The views here seem
to conflict with the views in other forums (albeit graphics based
forums) and what is happening in the real world.

Tamblyne

[...]

Hi, Travis --

I don't have any flashy sites to show you -- I don't get paid to do work
for other people. I'm graphically challenged, and the things I do for
myself and my friends are too boring to place before the scrutiny of this
group, or alt.html.critque. I just kind of lurk and learn things that
have been very helpful. So I can say that all of my sites validate and,
to the best of my knowledge, are accessible, but they are not impressive.

But after reading some of the responses to your inquiry, I thought I'd
just pop in to say that *I* use several different browsers and operating
systems, depending on my whim, as well as being stuck in dial-up hell at
no better than 26K, and the issues that are addressed in this forum are a
constant reality for me, as well as a lot of other people that you'll
never hear from.

My Dad was a Woolworth's manager and as a kid we used to play in the stock
room and the employee's lounge on Sundays when the store was closed (so
now you know how old I am! <g>). There was a poster in the hallway there
that I have never forgotten. It showed a cartoon of a cashier talking on
the phone and generally messing around while a customer waited patiently.
The caption was "I might not say anything now -- I just won't come back."

It is a constant source of amazement, as well as amusement, to me that
companies and individuals will spend what is obiviously a great deal of
time and money to launch a site -- and then make it virtually impossible
for me to use unless I change the way I want to do things. Some settings,
such as adjusting font size, for me are simple, since I never use IE
unless I'm checking to see if it renders one of my sites properly. But it
still greatly irritates me when I come upon a site with a font size so
small that I have to increase it to almost 200% to be able to read it --
I'm not blind, I just need bifocals, but I am in the group mentioned in
another response -- an aging babyboomer.

A greater issue, however, is when I'm using a Linux distro -- I don't have
flash and other plugins installed and some sites are, essentially, blank
pages. If the site owner expects me to close up everything I'm working on
and boot Windows to view their site, they are SOL.

Load time is also a constant issue, and one I think a lot of people forget
about. SpaceGirl's example site, for instance, took over two minutes to
load for me, and the only reason I waited that long was because I wanted
to see what she has done. It's a fabulous, very impressive site. But
personally I would not have waited that long for it to load -- but then
I'm not part of the target audience, either. (I don't intend this as a
critisism of her work -- only an example of the real issues facing dial-up
users.)

In most cases when I find problems, I will email the webmaster and let
them know, if I can even find a way to do that. Nine times out of ten, if
I get an answer at all, I get a "gee, we're sorry" response, but it's
pretty clear that they don't really care if their site design causes a
problem for me or not.

The point of all of this is that just because someone doesn't complain
about the usability of a site doesn't mean that they aren't having
problems with it. I'm used to my feedback being ignored, and so are a lot
of other people -- so they just don't bother to say anything. The issues
raised here are real ones, whether the pointy-headed CEO wants to admit it
or not.

I spend my money and my time where both are valued. If it is apparent to
me that the company or individual is on nothing more than an ego trip, I
take my business elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that I would be the
only one to do this.

Hope this helps you -- and I'll head back to lurk-mode now.

Tam

Neal

Travis said:
No it isn't. But until some one is independatally wealthy, and can
afford to turn away business to satisfy their dedication to doing it
the right way, We wil continue to go down the path of evil... (0o)

So electricians, lawyers and architects are all independently wealthy?
Nearly all of them will say no to you if they think your idea is unwise.
Why should web designers be different?
But the argument seems to be (in this forum) that by creatingthe site
so it is fully accessable, then these customers you are currently
turning away (the ones that can not see your design site for one reason
or another) will come flocking to your doot with money in hand.

I am not seeing that happen in the real world.

I can only speak for me - years back when I transformed a site from frames
and tables to a proper and valid HTML+CSS design and improved on its
structure and appearance, our hits and feedback increased substantially.
Why? More people willing to link. More users able to access the site. I
can also report that others have told me they've experienced the same
thing.

It's just one part of having the best internet presence you can manage - a
part that should not be neglected or undervalued.

Exactly - it's one of my ongoing "ground rules" that whatever I do has to
work in any enviromment I can possibly predict. That means designing for
general use and then tweaking for the individual bugs afterward, which
isn't easy at first.

Kris

Travis Newbury said:
How about some REAL examples to help prove the point?
Any takers?

Dig up Google's archives and lurk for one's sig url. I used to have my
company's up there until recently.