Show no trail?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andries, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Andries

    Andries Guest

    Andries, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Andries

    J Briggs Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:30:00 +0100, Andries <> wrote:

    >Hello out there,
    >
    >What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
    >going to?
    >
    >f.i I put a zip file in the next place:
    >http://www.whateveryouwant.com/me/yank/flip.zip
    >
    >I have a link on a page f.i http://www.myplace.org/bah/tutorial.html
    >to the obove zipfile.
    >What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
    >it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip
    >
    >Anyone?
    >
    >Andries Meijer

    You can prevent the link address showing in the status bar (at least,
    in Internet Explorer) by using the following template for your links:

    onFocus="window.status= '';return true">Click here</a>

    Whilst this does not totally hide the link from people (they can still
    access it through the source code) it prevents less inquisitive people
    from seeing it.

    Jonathan.

    J Briggs, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Andries

    Andries Guest

    Hello Jonathan,

    Thanks but I already got that one.
    Problem is that I get a message (the gray block) where the domain name
    is mentioned when you want to download

    Andries

    Andries, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Andries <> wrote:

    > Hello out there,

    _I_ am not out.

    > What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
    > going to?

    The answer is in the HTML Programming Bible, right between "how do I hide my
    source" and "how do force a browser download a file".

    > f.i I put a zip file in the next place:
    > http://www.whateveryouwant.com/me/yank/flip.zip

    It works just the way your E-mail address does. If you use fake addresses,
    at least tell that they're fake, by applying the adequate pseudo-domain
    convention.

    > What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
    > it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip

    To lie people that you are giving them access to some kewl creation of
    yours, presumably.

    Do your parents know what you are doing on the Internet?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Andries

    Andries Guest

    Jukka,

    You completely misunderstand.
    First of all my parents don't live anymore and i'm 50 years old.
    Second i don't lie. people get what they want = the zip file
    I just don't want people to see where the file is. That's all nothing
    more nothing less. I want to prevent that i get ripped off.
    No bad intent here. Nothing sneaky.

    Andries

    Andries, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Andries wrote:
    > I just don't want people to see where the file is. That's all nothing
    > more nothing less. I want to prevent that i get ripped off.
    > No bad intent here. Nothing sneaky.

    ok - it can't be done with a basic link.

    Perhaps you should explain the real problem in a little more detail. For
    example: is the target file on your server?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  7. Andries

    Andries Guest

    William

    No the target file is on another server and in another domain.

    Andries

    Andries, Nov 6, 2003
  8. Andries wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:12:05 -0000, "William Tasso" <>
    > wrote:
    >> Andries wrote:
    >>> I just don't want people to see where the file is. That's all
    >>> nothing more nothing less. I want to prevent that i get ripped off.
    >>> No bad intent here. Nothing sneaky.

    >> ok - it can't be done with a basic link.
    >>
    >> Perhaps you should explain the real problem in a little more detail.
    >> For example: is the target file on your server?

    > No the target file is on another server and in another domain.

    Two options:
    #1 - make a copy of the file available from your server instead and use
    whatever directory/file access protection methods are available to your
    server.

    #2 - grab the remote resource from your script and rewrite it to the client
    using whatever script access protection methods are available.

    Maybe there are other solutions.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Andries

    Andries Guest

    Hi William

    I don't have a clue what you are talking about (eggonmyface)
    Can you give an example?

    Andries

    Andries, Nov 6, 2003
  10. Andries wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:56:26 -0000, "William Tasso" <>

    [Please don't top-post]

    #1 http://www.williamtasso.com/components/image.asp shows an image which
    cannot be accessed except by that page - I think. A similar technique could
    be used for your zip file.

    Both techniques require server side technolgies and the necessary skills and
    permissions to employ them. As such, I fear we may have drifted too far
    off-topic for alt.html. Perhaps a group that discusses issues related to
    your type of server may be a more useful forum.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  11. Andries

    Leslie Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:30:00 +0100, Andries <> wrote:

    >Hello out there,
    >
    >What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
    >going to?
    >
    >f.i I put a zip file in the next place:
    >http://www.whateveryouwant.com/me/yank/flip.zip
    >
    >I have a link on a page f.i http://www.myplace.org/bah/tutorial.html
    >to the obove zipfile.
    >What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
    >it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip

    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I won't click on a link if I can't see the
    destination in the status bar. I just don't like being sent god knows
    where.

    My $.02.

    Leslie

    Leslie, Nov 6, 2003
  12. Andries

    Wipkip Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > Andries wrote:
    > > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:56:26 -0000, "William Tasso" <>
    > > wrote:

    > [Please don't top-post]
    >

    > >> Two options:
    > >> #1 - make a copy of the file available from your server instead and
    > >> use whatever directory/file access protection methods are available
    > >> to your server.
    > >>
    > >> #2 - grab the remote resource from your script and rewrite it to the
    > >> client using whatever script access protection methods are available.
    > >>

    > > I don't have a clue what you are talking about (eggonmyface)
    > > Can you give an example?

    > #1 http://www.williamtasso.com/components/image.asp shows an image which
    > cannot be accessed except by that page - I think. A similar technique could
    > be used for your zip file.
    >
    > Both techniques require server side technolgies and the necessary skills and
    > permissions to employ them. As such, I fear we may have drifted too far
    > off-topic for alt.html. Perhaps a group that discusses issues related to
    > your type of server may be a more useful forum.

    perhaps alt.www.mud-wrestling <grin> I hear just about anything is on-topic there.
    :D

    --
    Duende

    Wipkip, Nov 6, 2003
  13. Toby A Inkster, Nov 6, 2003
  14. William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  15. In article William Tasso wrote:
    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > > William Tasso wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.williamtasso.com/components/image.asp shows an image which
    > >> cannot be accessed except by that page - I think.

    > > ... and can't be accessed AT ALL in some browsers.

    > ya big tease - go on, tell me which or why or what?

    Opera 7 with some settings. Use F12 f to change setting.

    Of course someone can make script that will access your image, which
    don't show real url (all it needs is to supply referrer). But then he
    need to download the image every time, IIANM.

    Saapi lähettää meiliä, jos aihe ei liity ryhmään, tai on yksityinen
    tjsp., mutta älä lähetä samaa viestiä meilitse ja ryhmään.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 6, 2003
  16. Lauri Raittila wrote:
    > In article William Tasso wrote:
    >> Toby A Inkster wrote:

    >>> ... and can't be accessed AT ALL in some browsers.

    >> ya big tease - go on, tell me which or why or what?

    > Opera 7 with some settings. Use F12 f to change setting.

    Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know which
    settings in the browser make it fail?

    > Of course someone can make script that will access your image,

    Do you have an example? Such a thing is beyond my skills.

    > which
    > don't show real url (all it needs is to supply referrer).

    The server side script which delivers the image doesn't rely on any external
    data.

    > But then he
    > need to download the image every time, IIANM.

    maybe - I'd be interested to see it work.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  17. In article William Tasso wrote:

    > Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know which
    > settings in the browser make it fail?

    Disabling "Enable referrer logging", of course.

    > Lauri Raittila wrote:
    > > Of course someone can make script that will access your image,

    > Do you have an example? Such a thing is beyond my skills.

    No, that is beyond my skils too. But it is of course possible, as you can
    see image using you browser. Script can act just like browser.

    > > But then he need to download the image every time, IIANM.

    'he' being the script. So it doesn't make sence over having that image on
    your server in first place. Exept if its updated often.

    > maybe - I'd be interested to see it work.

    I don't think it would interesting. I would guess when you have
    permission to show image, you can also have permission to get image
    whitout using some kludgy script.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 6, 2003
  18. Lauri Raittila wrote:

    >> Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know
    >> which settings in the browser make it fail?

    > Disabling "Enable referrer logging", of course.

    nope, that doesn't stop it - as I said: the script is not dependent on
    external data.

    >> Lauri Raittila wrote:
    >>> Of course someone can make script that will access your image,

    > Script can act just like browser.

    You are referring to server side screen scraping scripts that pull up the
    page and redisplay? - AFAIK that type of access will work assuming the
    necessary facilities on the client (2nd server in this case).

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 6, 2003
  19. In article William Tasso wrote:
    > Lauri Raittila wrote:

    > >> Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know
    > >> which settings in the browser make it fail?

    > > Disabling "Enable referrer logging", of course.

    > nope, that doesn't stop it - as I said: the script is not dependent on
    > external data.

    Hm. I didn't see image when I disabled that. I don't know why. I do see
    it now, and I didn't make any changes. (Updated from Opera 7.21 to Opera
    7.22(pre) but I would be surprised if that was the reason)

    > > Script can act just like browser.

    > You are referring to server side screen scraping scripts that pull up the
    > page and redisplay?

    In fact I was mistaken, it doesn't need to download image (as it would if
    it was referrer based). All it needs is to download URL of image, and
    then redirect to that url. It needs to parse url each time though. The
    key point is not to load the image, but pass url of it to someone that
    wants to see just image...

    At least, when I put my opera non-images mode and reload, I can paste url
    of image to my own page and it will be shown fine, once.

    I could do test page, but that would be dumb, as I don't have script to
    make it and it would not work after first visit (and you might have some
    specific time in your script in which url needs to be downloaded).

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 6, 2003
  20. In article Lauri Raittila wrote:
    > Hm. I didn't see image when I disabled that. I don't know why. I do see
    > it now, and I didn't make any changes. (Updated from Opera 7.21 to Opera
    > 7.22(pre) but I would be surprised if that was the reason)

    Stupid me used refresh to apply changes, and Opera asked image again. If
    I had reloaded page, it would have worked.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 6, 2003