Show no trail?

J Briggs

Hello out there,

What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
going to?

f.i I put a zip file in the next place:
http://www.whateveryouwant.com/me/yank/flip.zip

I have a link on a page f.i http://www.myplace.org/bah/tutorial.html
to the obove zipfile.
What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip

Anyone?

Andries Meijer

You can prevent the link address showing in the status bar (at least,
in Internet Explorer) by using the following template for your links:

onFocus="window.status= '';return true">Click here</a>

Whilst this does not totally hide the link from people (they can still
access it through the source code) it prevents less inquisitive people
from seeing it.

Jonathan.

Andries

Hello Jonathan,

Thanks but I already got that one.
Problem is that I get a message (the gray block) where the domain name
is mentioned when you want to download

Andries

Jukka K. Korpela

Andries said:
Hello out there,

_I_ am not out.
What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
going to?

The answer is in the HTML Programming Bible, right between "how do I hide my
source" and "how do force a browser download a file".

It works just the way your E-mail address does. If you use fake addresses,
at least tell that they're fake, by applying the adequate pseudo-domain
convention.
What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip

To lie people that you are giving them access to some kewl creation of
yours, presumably.

Do your parents know what you are doing on the Internet?

Andries

Jukka,

You completely misunderstand.
First of all my parents don't live anymore and i'm 50 years old.
Second i don't lie. people get what they want = the zip file
I just don't want people to see where the file is. That's all nothing
more nothing less. I want to prevent that i get ripped off.
No bad intent here. Nothing sneaky.

Andries

William Tasso

Andries said:
I just don't want people to see where the file is. That's all nothing
more nothing less. I want to prevent that i get ripped off.
No bad intent here. Nothing sneaky.

ok - it can't be done with a basic link.

Perhaps you should explain the real problem in a little more detail. For
example: is the target file on your server?

William Tasso

Andries said:
No the target file is on another server and in another domain.

Two options:
#1 - make a copy of the file available from your server instead and use
whatever directory/file access protection methods are available to your
server.

#2 - grab the remote resource from your script and rewrite it to the client
using whatever script access protection methods are available.

Maybe there are other solutions.

Andries

Hi William

I don't have a clue what you are talking about (eggonmyface)
Can you give an example?

Andries

William Tasso

[Please don't top-post]

#1 http://www.williamtasso.com/components/image.asp shows an image which
cannot be accessed except by that page - I think. A similar technique could
be used for your zip file.

Both techniques require server side technolgies and the necessary skills and
permissions to employ them. As such, I fear we may have drifted too far
off-topic for alt.html. Perhaps a group that discusses issues related to
your type of server may be a more useful forum.

Leslie

Hello out there,

What, if possible, can i do when i don't want to show where a link is
going to?

f.i I put a zip file in the next place:
http://www.whateveryouwant.com/me/yank/flip.zip

I have a link on a page f.i http://www.myplace.org/bah/tutorial.html
to the obove zipfile.
What i don't want is that the one who clicks on te link knows where
it's coming from but just the name of the file flip.zip

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I won't click on a link if I can't see the
destination in the status bar. I just don't like being sent god knows
where.

My $.02.

Leslie

Wipkip

[Please don't top-post]

#1 http://www.williamtasso.com/components/image.asp shows an image which
cannot be accessed except by that page - I think. A similar technique could
be used for your zip file.

Both techniques require server side technolgies and the necessary skills and
permissions to employ them. As such, I fear we may have drifted too far
off-topic for alt.html. Perhaps a group that discusses issues related to
your type of server may be a more useful forum.
perhaps alt.www.mud-wrestling <grin> I hear just about anything is on-topic there.
:D

Lauri Raittila

In said:
ya big tease - go on, tell me which or why or what?

Opera 7 with some settings. Use F12 f to change setting.

Of course someone can make script that will access your image, which
don't show real url (all it needs is to supply referrer). But then he
need to download the image every time, IIANM.

William Tasso

Lauri said:
Opera 7 with some settings. Use F12 f to change setting.

Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know which
settings in the browser make it fail?
Of course someone can make script that will access your image,

Do you have an example? Such a thing is beyond my skills.
which
don't show real url (all it needs is to supply referrer).

The server side script which delivers the image doesn't rely on any external
data.
But then he
need to download the image every time, IIANM.

maybe - I'd be interested to see it work.

Lauri Raittila

Opera 7.11 here. I'd be ever so grateful if you could let me know which
settings in the browser make it fail?

Disabling "Enable referrer logging", of course.
Do you have an example? Such a thing is beyond my skills.

No, that is beyond my skils too. But it is of course possible, as you can
see image using you browser. Script can act just like browser.

'he' being the script. So it doesn't make sence over having that image on
your server in first place. Exept if its updated often.
maybe - I'd be interested to see it work.

I don't think it would interesting. I would guess when you have
permission to show image, you can also have permission to get image
whitout using some kludgy script.

William Tasso

Lauri said:
Disabling "Enable referrer logging", of course.

nope, that doesn't stop it - as I said: the script is not dependent on
external data.
Script can act just like browser.

You are referring to server side screen scraping scripts that pull up the
page and redisplay? - AFAIK that type of access will work assuming the
necessary facilities on the client (2nd server in this case).

Lauri Raittila

In said:
nope, that doesn't stop it - as I said: the script is not dependent on
external data.

Hm. I didn't see image when I disabled that. I don't know why. I do see
it now, and I didn't make any changes. (Updated from Opera 7.21 to Opera
7.22(pre) but I would be surprised if that was the reason)
You are referring to server side screen scraping scripts that pull up the
page and redisplay?

In fact I was mistaken, it doesn't need to download image (as it would if
it was referrer based). All it needs is to download URL of image, and
then redirect to that url. It needs to parse url each time though. The
key point is not to load the image, but pass url of it to someone that
wants to see just image...

At least, when I put my opera non-images mode and reload, I can paste url
of image to my own page and it will be shown fine, once.

I could do test page, but that would be dumb, as I don't have script to
make it and it would not work after first visit (and you might have some
specific time in your script in which url needs to be downloaded).

Lauri Raittila

In said:
Hm. I didn't see image when I disabled that. I don't know why. I do see
it now, and I didn't make any changes. (Updated from Opera 7.21 to Opera
7.22(pre) but I would be surprised if that was the reason)
Stupid me used refresh to apply changes, and Opera asked image again. If
I had reloaded page, it would have worked.