    can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.

    any idea !!!!

    thankx
    lalit, Jun 8, 2007

  2. lalit

    Norman Yuan Guest

    If you mean not being copied/saved as *.ppt file, then the only way is not
    to post the presentation as *.ppt file. You could convert it to PDF file,
    for example.

    If you mean not copying the content/image in any format, then you cannot
    prevent that, unless you do not shaw it on the net at all.

    Norman Yuan, Jun 8, 2007

  3. lalit

    bruce barker Guest

    the only way is to supply your own client application that displays the
    ppt (the web file should be encrypted). the browser always downloads the
    file to the file cache and calls the app to display it.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 8, 2007
  4. lalit

    lalit Guest

    On Jun 8, 3:49 pm, bruce barker <> wrote:
    > the only way is to supply your own client application that displays the
    > ppt (the web file should be encrypted). the browser always downloads the
    > file to the file cache and calls the app to display it.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    >

    > lalit wrote:
    > > Hi there,

    > > Can some plz suggest me a way to show .ppt files on my website that
    > > can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.

    > > any idea !!!!

    > > thankx- Hide quoted text -

    well that is true but My boss wants to put some training .ppt on net
    but doesn't want anyone to download them. thats all
    so is there any way that i can do it from server.
    many thaknx
    lalit, Jun 8, 2007
  5. lalit

    lalit Guest

    lalit, Jun 8, 2007
  6. Hi,

    lalit wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 3:25 pm, lalit <> wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Can some plz suggest me a way to show .ppt files on my website that
    >> can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.
    >>
    >> any idea !!!!
    >>
    >> thankx

    > well that is true but My boss wants to put some training .ppt on net
    > but doesn't want anyone to download them. thats all
    > so is there any way that i can do it from server.

    If that's really the case, tell your boss to put the files on his own
    webserver, where he denies access to anyone apart from himself.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
    Software engineering, Blog: http://www.galasoft.ch
    Laurent Bugnion, MVP, Jun 10, 2007
  7. "Laurent Bugnion, MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > lalit wrote:
    >> On Jun 8, 3:25 pm, lalit <> wrote:
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> Can some plz suggest me a way to show .ppt files on my website that
    >>> can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.
    >>>
    >>> any idea !!!!
    >>>
    >>> thankx

    >> well that is true but My boss wants to put some training .ppt on net
    >> but doesn't want anyone to download them. thats all
    >> so is there any way that i can do it from server.

    > If that's really the case, tell your boss to put the files on his own
    > webserver, where he denies access to anyone apart from himself.

    I use a login with username and password up front. Then only persons with
    appropriate credentials get access to specific files. All sorts of filtering
    can be done that way. I have a SQL table containing userID's and like 10
    different access items per user.

    Bjorn
    Bjorn Sagbakken, Jun 10, 2007
  8. Hi,

    Bjorn Sagbakken wrote:
    > "Laurent Bugnion, MVP" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> lalit wrote:

    >>> well that is true but My boss wants to put some training .ppt on net
    >>> but doesn't want anyone to download them. thats all
    >>> so is there any way that i can do it from server.

    >> If that's really the case, tell your boss to put the files on his own
    >> webserver, where he denies access to anyone apart from himself.

    > I use a login with username and password up front. Then only persons with
    > appropriate credentials get access to specific files. All sorts of filtering
    > can be done that way. I have a SQL table containing userID's and like 10
    > different access items per user.
    >
    > Bjorn

    So it means that the PPT files are actually not just stored on the
    server, but have to be displayed to someone, do I understand correctly?
    In that case, in order to be displayed, they need to be downloaded first.

    In that case, Bruce Barker's suggestion is the only possible way.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    Laurent Bugnion, MVP, Jun 11, 2007
  9. lalit

    lalit Guest

    On Jun 8, 5:31 pm, lalit <> wrote:
    > On Jun 8, 3:25 pm, lalit <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,

    > > Can some plz suggest me a way to show .ppt files on my website that
    > > can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.

    > > any idea !!!!

    > > thankx

    > well that is true but My boss wants to put some training .ppt on net
    > but doesn't want anyone to download them. thats all
    > so is there any way that i can do it from server.

    HI I like ur suggestion. But I have got the authentication in place
    for each user. But don't know how t move further . I will upload ppt
    files on server. then next question is how to show ppt files so that
    user can just enjoy the ppt files but can't download.

    I hope u understads it.
    lalit, Jun 11, 2007
  10. lalit

    Mark Rae Guest

    "lalit" <> wrote in message

    > files on server. then next question is how to show ppt files so that
    > user can just enjoy the ppt files but can't download.
    >
    > I hope u understads it.

    The point which *you* don't seem to understand is that everything which is
    displayed in a browser is downloaded to the client machine... That includes
    the HTML, JavaScript, binaries etc... If you don't want a file to be
    downloaded to the client machine, don't show it in a browser - it really is
    as simple as that...

    This question comes up fairly regularly, most often in the case of people
    who are selling images e.g. photographs via their website - people need to
    see the photos so that they know what they're buying, but if they can just
    right-click the image and do Save As, they will have no incentive to buy...

    Another interesting statement you make is "My boss wants..." - often bosses
    can benefit from a bit of expectation management... I suggest you go through
    this thread with your boss and try to explain why his / her requirements are
    unrealistic...

    Finally, what are you (or your boss) *actually* worried about here...? What
    will happen if one of your PowerPoint presentations is downloaded...?

    --
    http://www.markrae.net
    Mark Rae, Jun 11, 2007
  11. On Jun 8, 4:25 pm, lalit <> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Can some plz suggest me a way to show .ppt files on my website that
    > can't be copied or saved by user using asp.net.
    >
    > any idea !!!!
    >
    > thankx

    Convert PowerPoint to Flash can probably help you
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=powerpoint to flash
    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 11, 2007
  12. Hi,

    Mark Rae wrote:

    > Finally, what are you (or your boss) *actually* worried about here...?
    > What will happen if one of your PowerPoint presentations is downloaded...?

    From what I heard, the glaciers and the north pole will melt, and the
    level of the sea will rise by at least a meter. Oh wait, I believe I am
    thinking of another catastrophe...

    HTH,
    Laurent
    Laurent Bugnion, MVP, Jun 11, 2007
  13. lalit

    Mark Rae Guest

    > From what I heard, the glaciers and the north pole will melt, and the
    > level of the sea will rise by at least a meter. Oh wait, I believe I am
    > thinking of another catastrophe...

    :)

    --
    http://www.markrae.net
    Mark Rae, Jun 11, 2007
  14. "Laurent Bugnion, MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Bjorn Sagbakken wrote:
    >> "Laurent Bugnion, MVP" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,

    >>> If that's really the case, tell your boss to put the files on his own
    >>> webserver, where he denies access to anyone apart from himself.

    >> I use a login with username and password up front. Then only persons with
    >> appropriate credentials get access to specific files. All sorts of
    >> filtering can be done that way. I have a SQL table containing userID's
    >> and like 10 different access items per user.
    >>
    >> Bjorn

    > So it means that the PPT files are actually not just stored on the server,
    > but have to be displayed to someone, do I understand correctly? In that
    > case, in order to be displayed, they need to be downloaded first.
    >
    > In that case, Bruce Barker's suggestion is the only possible way.

    A PDF version could be viewed by anyone, and the full PPT may be downloaded
    by users with correct credentials. But even with a PDF view it will be hard
    to prevent copying, at least the printscreen will be there.

    Bjorn
    Bjorn Sagbakken, Jun 11, 2007
  15. lalit

    lalit Guest

    On Jun 11, 9:28 am, "Mark Rae" <> wrote:
    > "lalit" <> wrote in message

    > > files on server. then next question is how to show ppt files so that
    > > user can just enjoy the ppt files but can't download.

    > > I hope u understads it.

    > The point which *you* don't seem to understand is that everything which is
    > displayed in a browser is downloaded to the client machine... That includes
    > the HTML, JavaScript, binaries etc... If you don't want a file to be
    > downloaded to the client machine, don't show it in a browser - it really is
    > as simple as that...
    >
    > This question comes up fairly regularly, most often in the case of people
    > who are selling images e.g. photographs via their website - people need to
    > see the photos so that they know what they're buying, but if they can just
    > right-click the image and do Save As, they will have no incentive to buy...
    >
    > Another interesting statement you make is "My boss wants..." - often bosses
    > can benefit from a bit of expectation management... I suggest you go through
    > this thread with your boss and try to explain why his / her requirements are
    > unrealistic...
    >
    > Finally, what are you (or your boss) *actually* worried about here...? What
    > will happen if one of your PowerPoint presentations is downloaded...?
    >
    > --http://www.markrae.net

    thanks for the big replay and understanding my point. if that is the
    case what about the videos shown online are those downloadable ? I
    guess they are not? Am I right or wrong in that case?
    I mean from youtube you can make ur video clip private
    Can I use this tech in some how
    lalit, Jun 14, 2007