Siemens SMTK Programming: MIDlet initialization failed

cyberspheres

Greetings.

I've been playing around with the Siemens SMTK trying to get a program
to run on an S65.

I have followed the steps described in the SMTK Programmer's Reference
to compile, preverify and run the "Hello World" example. However, the
program fails to run both on the emulator and on the phone itself. The
error messages given by the emulator and the phone are, respectively,

"MIDlet initialization failed: java.lang.Error: invalid version in
..class file"

and

"MIDlet initialization failed: java.lang.Error: 56"

(which I'm assuming to be the same error, only no verbose description
of the error is shown by the phone).

I've had a difficult time looking for a solution elsewhere. Is anyone
able to help me out with this problem or point me to an appropriate
place where to find it?

JDK Version: 1.5.0 rev 4
J2ME Wireless Toolkit Version: 2.2
Siemens 65 Series SMTK Version: 3.0.06
S65 Emulator Version: 37.135.08
S65 FW version: 43

Do ask for additional information if needed. Thanks in advance :)