slow and Jerky scrolling in IE

ethanlifka

PLease Help me
I am currently creating sites and I have noticed that some sites scroll

very slow and jerky in IE, but scroll smooth and perfect in other
browsers
check out this site in IE then in FireFox
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/resources/updates/ucsb20060117.html

you can see the difference
for more examples checkout custom pages on myspace
ex http://www.myspace.com/velabonz
http://profile.myspace.com/mychemicalromance
etc.

these sites seem to scroll choppy in IE, but FireFox is really smooth
yes I have tried changing the smooth scrolling in the tools in IE, but
that's not the problem and it is not my computer either.

I have seen this before when designing a few sites so I know it has to
do with the way the page is coded. What differences are their between
IE and
FireFox that would cause this. What can I do to my code so that IE
would scroll
smoothly.

thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PLease Help me
I am currently creating sites and I have noticed that some sites
scroll very slow and jerky in IE, but scroll smooth and perfect in
other browsers check out this site in IE then in FireFox
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/resources/updates/ucsb20060117.html

You are correct. Firefox works fine (once it loaded), but IE? No.
That page is: 1,198,340 bytes
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

I'd guess the ancient IE can't handle that much HTML. said:
... What can I do to my code so that IE would scroll smoothly.

Only thing I can suggest is to break it up into smaller pages, probably
using alphabetic choices. Or at the very least, put the three catagories
on separate pages.

* Additions: 442.
* Updates: 1368.
* Deletions: 63.

Jim Higson

PLease Help me
I am currently creating sites and I have noticed that some sites scroll

very slow and jerky in IE, but scroll smooth and perfect in other
browsers
check out this site in IE then in FireFox
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/resources/updates/ucsb20060117.html

you can see the difference
for more examples checkout custom pages on myspace
ex http://www.myspace.com/velabonz
http://profile.myspace.com/mychemicalromance
etc.

these sites seem to scroll choppy in IE, but FireFox is really smooth
yes I have tried changing the smooth scrolling in the tools in IE, but
that's not the problem and it is not my computer either.

Konqueror is also very slow on that page (so Safari almost certainly is
too), but only when I hover over the text and all the links go bold and
thus change size slightly - perhaps the slowness is to do with the browser
repositioning all the nodes.

This wouldn't happen if you were just scrolling though, and Konqueror is
fine at this once the page has loaded.

Another possibility is that you're floating both columns. The same layout
could be done with just floating the left one (better yet, make the left
one position:fixed so it doesn't get lost as you scroll down).

The page is very big though. The simplest way to make it faster would be to
make it smaller.

ethanlifka

Thanks for both of your sugjestions, but that page you both are
refering too is not mine.
just an example I have found.
I am more interested in what is it that makes IE do this and why
FireFox and other browsers don't.
I would like to know the bug in IE so that when I do create a new site
that I can keep in mind the solution
rather than have to go back later and fix the errors.
I think it might have to do with the way it renders backgrounds and div
tags, but not not certain.
also check out the other examples
http://www.myspace.com/velabonz
http://profile.myspace.com/mychemicalromance
thanks for your help on this

Jim Moe

I am currently creating sites and I have noticed that some sites scroll
very slow and jerky in IE, but scroll smooth and perfect in other
browsers
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/resources/updates/ucsb20060117.html
It could be the vast number of links, almost 2000, on the site.
for more examples checkout custom pages on myspace
ex http://www.myspace.com/velabonz
http://profile.myspace.com/mychemicalromance
etc.
I do not see the sluggish behavior on these sites.

ethanlifka

Yes, those sites are faster, but they still scroll jerky and choppy
compared to FireFox.
I have used other computers and have seen these sites scroll with
different speeds and smoothness
It does deppend on the speed of the computer
I used a 400 mhz PC and those pages scrolled very very slow,
but with FireFox it does not matter
I have seen pages with a lot of content scroll fast and some with
little content scroll very slow
thanks for all of your help