Someone please help! WC3 Validation problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by buzbybakers@hotmail.com, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Jun 8, 2006

  2. mbstevens Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60 problems
    > with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I think i need a
    > substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to go about that. If
    > someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the URL is
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline.
    > thanks

    Start, of course, by giving it character encoding and a doctype. And
    don't expect everyone to extract
    http://www.magview.com
    ....from that link you posted.
    mbstevens, Jun 8, 2006

  3. mbstevens Guest

    mbstevens wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60 problems
    >> with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I think i need a
    >> substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to go about that. If
    >> someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the URL is
    >> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>

    > Start, of course, by giving it character encoding and a doctype. And
    > don't expect everyone to extract
    > http://www.magview.com
    > ....from that link you posted.

    But, now that we've found the source, the errors seem straightforward
    and have plenty of explanation below each.

    If there is no such thing in HTML 4.01 (what the validator has had to
    default itself to), then you can expect that you invented it.

    If it says you didn't give an end tag to something, then give it one.

    If you can figure out how to do all that completely useless javascript,
    you really don't need our help with a tiny thing like validation.
    mbstevens, Jun 8, 2006
  4. saz Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60 problems
    > with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I think i need a
    > substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to go about that. If
    > someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the URL is
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline.
    > thanks

    Seems very straight forward to me. Fix everything it tells you to fix.
    saz, Jun 8, 2006
  5. Jeremy Brown Guest

    I am not an expert, but here are some suggestions that you can do:
    Before you do any more, replace the uppercase tags and attributes with
    lowercase. That is part of HTML 4.01 spec (or so I have read.)

    Add the doctype declaration before the <head>

    1. If you are going for transitional (it is recommended not to do this) use
    this one:

    for strict add this one (and make a lot of people very happy ;-) ):

    The doctype go before the <head> statement. You can only have one.

    2. Try adding these in the <head>, before or after your current <meta>
    stuff:

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="****.css" />
    <!--put the name of your CSS in the appropriate location-->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /> <!--only if you have an icon
    in the address box-->
    <!--This is the default character set, not completely required-->

    They will help.

    3. You have a major error in the <head> statement. You have three (or more)
    <head> statements! (not better than one, bad mojo)

    basically you have this:

    <head>
    Header stuff here
    </head>

    Body stuff

    <head>
    More head stuff!!
    </head>

    More body stuff!!

    <head>
    Even more head stuff!!
    </head>

    Even more body stuff!!

    Edit the multiple <head>s together for a single, unified <head> statement,
    same for the multiple <body> sections. Remove the redundancies to prevent
    strange behaviors.

    4. Your embedded scripts appear to be a little off. From what I have learned
    (which is very little) they should look like this:

    <script>
    <!--//
    script stuff here
    //-->
    </script>

    I CANNOT GUARANTEE I AM RIGHT ON THIS ONE. I am not an expert on scripting
    by any definition of the word. Newbie would be stretching it.

    Try revalidating and correct any further errors.

    Jeremy

    --
    Visit my Saab & me at:
    http://jerem43.home.att.net

    Jeremy Brown, Jun 8, 2006
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeremy Brown" <>
    writing in news:GG0ig.7676$:

    > I am not an expert, but here are some suggestions that you can do:
    > Before you do any more, replace the uppercase tags and attributes with
    > lowercase. That is part of HTML 4.01 spec (or so I have read.)

    Nope, that would be XHTML - HTML doesn't care one way or the other.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, vouchsafed:

    > Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60
    > problems with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I
    > think i need a substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to
    > go about that. If someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the
    > URL is
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.magview.com/&chars
    > et=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline. thanks

    From reading the responses to your plea, it looks like you simply need to
    bone up on your html, css, and javascript. It doesn't sink-in by osmosis,
    you know.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Jun 9, 2006
  8. pecan Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60 problems
    > with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I think i need a
    > substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to go about that. If
    > someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the URL is
    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline.
    > thanks

    Here's a handy tool: http://www.htmlvalidator.com/lite/

    CM

    --
    == Not nuts, just a little eccentric ==
    http://www.africanbush.co.za
    pecan, Jun 9, 2006
  9. cwdjrxyz Guest

    Jeremy Brown wrote:

    > 4. Your embedded scripts appear to be a little off. From what I have learned
    > (which is very little) they should look like this:
    >
    > <script>
    > <!--//
    > script stuff here
    > //-->
    > </script>

    The script tag should read:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    /* Instead of this script comment, script goes here */
    </script>

    If an external script is used, the script tag should be:

    <script type="text/javascript" src="url of external script">
    </script>

    When using an external script, the script code at the url given must
    not contain an opening and closing script tag since these are given in
    the call for the external script on your main page. Adding extra
    opening and closing script tags here can cause the script to fail.

    The <!--// and //--> are hangovers from the very early days of
    javascript when a few very early browsers could not handle script and
    would display the script code on the page instead. This has now long
    been unnecessary and may even cause a problem in the most recent forms
    of xhtml/xml. If you use this notation at a post at
    comp.lang.javascript, more often than not someone will point this out.

    Using language in the script tag is outmoded and is now an error in
    some higher forms of xhtml/html/xml and also will draw comments at the
    mentioned javascript group. The type specification is absolutely
    required in W3C html from html 4 to the most recent forms of xhtml.

    When using a document.write that writes a closing tag, the closing tag
    must be backslashed. for example: document.write('\/div'); . The
    reasons for this are rather technical and failure to use the backslash
    often will cause no problems. However, the W3C validator will find an
    error everytime you fail to backslash a closing tag in a
    document.write.
    cwdjrxyz, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Jeremy Brown Guest

    My oopsie, but it is good habit to get into.

    JB

    Jeremy Brown, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeremy Brown" <>
    writing in

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeremy Brown"
    >> <> writing in
    >>
    >>> I am not an expert, but here are some suggestions that you can do:
    >>> Before you do any more, replace the uppercase tags and attributes
    >>> with lowercase. That is part of HTML 4.01 spec (or so I have read.)
    >>>

    >> Nope, that would be XHTML - HTML doesn't care one way or the other.
    >>

    > My oopsie, but it is good habit to get into.

    Actually, for HTML 4.01, which is not case sensitive, uppercase and
    lowercase can make debugging a little easier, especially for those who
    might not be using a colored syntax editor.

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 10, 2006