Someone please help! WC3 Validation problems

mbstevens

Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60 problems
with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I think i need a
substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to go about that. If
someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the URL is
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...charset=(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline.
thanks

Start, of course, by giving it character encoding and a doctype. And
don't expect everyone to extract
http://www.magview.com
....from that link you posted.

mbstevens

mbstevens said:
Start, of course, by giving it character encoding and a doctype. And
don't expect everyone to extract
http://www.magview.com
....from that link you posted.
But, now that we've found the source, the errors seem straightforward
and have plenty of explanation below each.

If there is no such thing in HTML 4.01 (what the validator has had to
default itself to), then you can expect that you invented it.

If it says you didn't give an end tag to something, then give it one.

If you can figure out how to do all that completely useless javascript,
you really don't need our help with a tiny thing like validation.

Jeremy Brown

I am not an expert, but here are some suggestions that you can do:
Before you do any more, replace the uppercase tags and attributes with
lowercase. That is part of HTML 4.01 spec (or so I have read.)

Add the doctype declaration before the <head>

1. If you are going for transitional (it is recommended not to do this) use
this one:

for strict add this one (and make a lot of people very happy ;-) ):

The doctype go before the <head> statement. You can only have one.

2. Try adding these in the <head>, before or after your current <meta>
stuff:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="****.css" />
<!--put the name of your CSS in the appropriate location-->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /> <!--only if you have an icon
in the address box-->
<!--This is the default character set, not completely required-->

They will help.

3. You have a major error in the <head> statement. You have three (or more)
<head> statements! (not better than one, bad mojo)

basically you have this:

<head>
Header stuff here
</head>

Body stuff

<head>
More head stuff!!
</head>

More body stuff!!

<head>
Even more head stuff!!
</head>

Even more body stuff!!

Edit the multiple <head>s together for a single, unified <head> statement,
same for the multiple <body> sections. Remove the redundancies to prevent
strange behaviors.

4. Your embedded scripts appear to be a little off. From what I have learned
(which is very little) they should look like this:

<script>
<!--//
script stuff here
//-->
</script>

I CANNOT GUARANTEE I AM RIGHT ON THIS ONE. I am not an expert on scripting
by any definition of the word. Newbie would be stretching it.

Try revalidating and correct any further errors.

Jeremy

Adrienne Boswell

I am not an expert, but here are some suggestions that you can do:
Before you do any more, replace the uppercase tags and attributes with
lowercase. That is part of HTML 4.01 spec (or so I have read.)

Nope, that would be XHTML - HTML doesn't care one way or the other.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, (e-mail address removed) vouchsafed:
Ok when I first started out trying to fix these I had about 60
problems with the site. Now I'm down to about 29. Alot of these I
think i need a substitute attribute for them but I'm not sure how to
go about that. If someone could pleas ehelp I'd be very grateful. the
URL is
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.magview.com/&chars
et=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline. thanks

From reading the responses to your plea, it looks like you simply need to
bone up on your html, css, and javascript. It doesn't sink-in by osmosis,
you know.

cwdjrxyz

Jeremy said:
4. Your embedded scripts appear to be a little off. From what I have learned
(which is very little) they should look like this:

<script>
<!--//
script stuff here
//-->
</script>

The script tag should read:

<script type="text/javascript">
/* Instead of this script comment, script goes here */
</script>

If an external script is used, the script tag should be:

<script type="text/javascript" src="url of external script">
</script>

When using an external script, the script code at the url given must
not contain an opening and closing script tag since these are given in
the call for the external script on your main page. Adding extra
opening and closing script tags here can cause the script to fail.

The <!--// and //--> are hangovers from the very early days of
javascript when a few very early browsers could not handle script and
would display the script code on the page instead. This has now long
been unnecessary and may even cause a problem in the most recent forms
of xhtml/xml. If you use this notation at a post at
comp.lang.javascript, more often than not someone will point this out.

Using language in the script tag is outmoded and is now an error in
some higher forms of xhtml/html/xml and also will draw comments at the
mentioned javascript group. The type specification is absolutely
required in W3C html from html 4 to the most recent forms of xhtml.

When using a document.write that writes a closing tag, the closing tag
must be backslashed. for example: document.write('\/div'); . The
reasons for this are rather technical and failure to use the backslash
often will cause no problems. However, the W3C validator will find an
error everytime you fail to backslash a closing tag in a
document.write.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jeremy Brown" <[email protected]>
writing in
My oopsie, but it is good habit to get into.

Actually, for HTML 4.01, which is not case sensitive, uppercase and
lowercase can make debugging a little easier, especially for those who
might not be using a colored syntax editor.