Sporadic Web Service Timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Sabran, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    Hi all -

    I'm in the midst of developing an intranet application using the 1.1
    ..NET Framework. All of the development is being done in VS.NET 2003 on
    Win2k3 boxes using VB.NET. Within certain parts of the application I
    make use of Hosted Windows Forms (HWF). These HWFs need to make very
    lightweight web service calls to pull down some relevant data.

    I have a testing environment set up that hosts the application on
    Win2k3 boxes. When I access this application through any of our
    development machines (also Win2k3), everything works flawlessly. When I
    try to access the application through our testing machines (Windows XP
    Pro), it's a different story. I'm noticing sporadic timeout errors.
    I've messed around with it for a few hours, but I haven't been able to
    determine how to consistently produce this error. It seems sporadic,
    and only on our WinXP Pro boxes.

    Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm having a
    lot of difficulty figuring this out.

    Sabran, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    I dug into the IIS log on the web server, and it doesn't look as if the
    server actually receives a request from the XP box when I get this
    timeout. It's as if the XP box is trying to reuse a thread that has
    already timed out on its end, so the request never leaves the machine.
    I don't have a lot of experience with networking, so that's just a
    guess.

    Does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this
    a bit better?

    Thanks,
    - Keith

    Sabran, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    I'm still at a loss about this issue, but I definitly need a
    resolution. Would someone out there be able to provide another message
    board where I might be able to get help?

    Thanks!
    - Keith

    Sabran, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Sabran

    m.posseth Guest

    create the webservice object on every call ( challenge response scenario ) i
    have seen manny people setting one time a refernce during startup of there
    app and then polling the webservice methods every time and run in to
    severall strange errors ( same happens with the webclient object )

    so my Tip is declare the webservice object type and then in your methods
    create them use them and dispose them , with this aproach you should be safe

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    Thanks for your response, Michel. We are already following your advice.
    Every time we make a webservice call, we are instantiating of the web
    service. Do you have any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    - Keith

    Sabran, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Sabran

    m.posseth Guest

    well another tip is that you might enable the cache attribute in your
    webservice method

    like this
    <WebMethod(MessageName:="altnameofwebmethod", CacheDuration:=600)> _

    Public Function fblnMethod(ByVal testparam As Integer) As Boolean

    'dummy method

    End Function

    if a parameter thrown in the method always returns the same data , and this
    service is called frequently this will give you a hughe performance boost

    regards

    Michel posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Dec 15, 2005
  7. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    Thanks for the tip, Michel. I will look into seeing if that will help
    with performance in general. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help with
    the timeout errors we're receiving. Since it's isolated to that one
    machine, I'm wondering whether or not it has to do with network
    connectivity or something of the sort.

    Sabran, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Sabran

    m.posseth Guest

    You wouldn`t be the first strugling to get a problem solved in his software
    , and later turns out it is a problem with the hardware :)

    so if it is isolated to this one machine ,,, i would sure first check the
    overall network connectivity ,,, i had in the past some problems with cheap
    network cards so i swear with 3com cards ( one time with a SMC card it
    worked perfect untill i moved large amounts off data ,, and the connection
    was just once in a while broken , changed the card and the problem never
    occured )

    regards

    Michel Posseth [MCP]

    m.posseth, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Sabran

    Sabran Guest

    I think I'm going to try swapping out the network card later this week.
    I'll post whether or not that solved the issue.

    Sabran, Dec 20, 2005