SQL Server Desktop Installation

Curt Emich

I recently bought a copy of Visual C#.NET Deluxe Learning addition. I was
under the impression that this comes with SQL Server Desktop Engine. I
installed everything I should have (I think), but when I type the commands
to grant access to SQL at the DOS prompt, it tells me that SQL Server
doesn't exist. The actual error message reads as follows:

[DBMSLCPN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
[DBMSLCPN]ConnectionOpen (Connect()).

The problem might be that I also bought a learning addtion of Visual
Basic.NET, and it told me it was installing "different" components than
those already installed. However, I have two DIFFERENT installations of the
..NET framework now; one that allows for C# development and one that allows
for VB development. I can't imagine that ALL components were overwritten.

I suppose I could re-install C# and hope for the best. Does anyone out
there have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hermit Dave

I have no clue about what comes in deluxe learning editions... thankfully i
got myself a bargain on msdn professional subscription.
But if you have the 2003 release then it doesnt come with SQL Desktop
engine. You can download it here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d1-a0bc-479f-bafa-e4b278eb9147&DisplayLang=en

Before you say anything... its free.... and please help yourself.

Well it installs totally different components well it depends on your
learning editions... VS.NET as such is just a single entity with compliers
and libraries for different languages.
Your learning editions can as well be two standalone entities.
Well no you wont have all your components of previous installation over
written. If there are any newer version they then they are copied as well..
with .NET you have something called side by side execution. ie if one
program requires version 1.9 and other required 2.0 and both will be kept on
your system. The installer should take care of that

HTH

HD

Curt Emich

OK, I downloaded the SQL Server Desktop Engine. Now a small
question...WHERE IS IT? I don't see a desktop icon, and I don't see it in
the start menu. I don't see anywhere where I start an start services in
Windows XP. Also when I type in the commands to initialize SQL Server for
..NET I still get the message the SQL Server doesn't exist. Do I need to
install the entire service pack?

Curt Emich said:
[...]

Hey,

MSDE connection is through VS.NET as such. It doesnt ship with client
connectivity tools since it is stripped version (though you can ship it with
your app)
Open your Dev Tool (on right hand side do you have servers expandable menu.
if so you have to set a link there...

and go down to services.... and make sure any sql services are set to auto.
If you still have problems... message me and i'll step you through it.

Regards,

HD

Curt Emich said:
[...]

Anthony Fine