status of ASP.NET in the market.

Osiris

I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
status of these tools.
I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
And more providers do not...
PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
facilities, does it ?
What is the status of the language wars these days ?
ASP is still the way to go ?
What is the market doing ?

fr gr
Erik

Ray Booysen

Well, if your hosting provider only does Linux servers then there won't
be any support for ASP.NET.

Most if not all providers that supply Windows based hosting support
ASP.NET 1.1 at least if not ASP 2.0 as well.

PHP however can be run on both Windows and Linux without many problems
which is why you'll see it both on Windows and Linux platforms.

Alan Silver

Osiris said:
I'm looking at C# and ASP .NET these days.
Visual Sudio 2005 looks like a neat dev. env.
But before committing, I would like to know more about the current
status of these tools.
I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.
And more providers do not...

Plenty do. If your current one doesn't, then find another.
PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
facilities, does it ?
What is the status of the language wars these days ?

Who cares? Language wars are stupid and distract from the real issue.
Most (all?) languages nowadays are powerful enough to everything that
99.9999% of people want to do 99.9999% of the time.

..NET has the advantages of allowing multiple languages to be used in one
project (with limitations, but not serious ones)
ASP is still the way to go ?
Definitely

What is the market doing ?

Who cares? I have never yet met a client who knew enough to express an
opinion about the technology used on his site. They want the site to
work. How you make it work is your business, not theirs.

HTH

Altman

"Well, if your hosting provider only does Linux servers then there
won't
be any support for ASP.NET."

I don't want to be nit picky but linux can run .net using mono and in
fact I have read of some websites that have .Net running on a linux
server so it is possible. I don't know if there are any actual hosting
sites that are doing this though. So the statement is mostly true but
there is a possibility of Linux and .Net.

Ray Booysen

Altman said:
"Well, if your hosting provider only does Linux servers then there
won't
be any support for ASP.NET."

I don't want to be nit picky but linux can run .net using mono and in
fact I have read of some websites that have .Net running on a linux
server so it is possible. I don't know if there are any actual hosting
sites that are doing this though. So the statement is mostly true but
there is a possibility of Linux and .Net.
I realise that, but I didn't think it was important to the thread as I
haven't seen any hosting providers that provide support to mono.

Mark Rae

I noticed, that my site hoster does not support ASP at all.

So find one that does - there are thousands of them...
And more providers do not...

So use one that does - there are thousands of them...
PHP however, IS supported a lot, but does not have anything like .NET
facilities, does it ?

PHP is perfectly capable of delivering function-rich websites - use it if
you like it...
What is the status of the language wars these days ?

Language wars...? What language wars...?
ASP is still the way to go ?

Being pedantic for a second, ASP is dead and buried - ASP.NET is the way to
go.

This is a newsgroup dedicated to ASP.NET. There are similar newsgroups
dedicated to PHP, Linux, Apache, Mono, mySQL, JSP etc...

Osiris

Language wars...? What language wars...?

you mean they are over ????
I programmed for some 24 years, going from Fortran to assemblers,
Basic, Pascal, C, Java and some I forgot about.
Languages came, were fought over ("mine is the best for everything"),
disappeared from public interest.
Now I did not work in the field for some 3 years, studied
philosophy...
May need to go back...

Rick

Alan said:
Plenty do. If your current one doesn't, then find another.

Who cares? Language wars are stupid and distract from the real issue.
Most (all?) languages nowadays are powerful enough to everything that
99.9999% of people want to do 99.9999% of the time.

Who cares? I have never yet met a client who knew enough to express an
opinion about the technology used on his site. They want the site to
work. How you make it work is your business, not theirs.

Anyone who cares about job security cares. To answer the OP's question
concerning the status of the .NET markets - they are immense. .NET
inherently handles many key application development issues whether web
or desktop or mobile or all consumers. And as it stands now - .NET
provides you the tools to handle new and upcoming consumers (if not
inherent).

As far as the language wars - does not apply. .NET is not a language it
is a framework library. VB.NET or C# is a language. More and more
'language' providers are becoming .NET compliant - being able to
utilize the framework and compile to CLR and MSIL

Nowadays there are many compliant languages:

Ada has A#
APL with Dyalog APL
ASML
VB.NET
mbas (mono)
bmcs
lcc (Ansi C from princeton)
cscc (Ansi C from Portable.NET)
Delta Forth.NET
FTN95 - Fortran for .NET
LISP with clisp from Microsoft
IronPHP
PHP4Mono
PHP Sharp
P# - Prolog
RubyCLR
Ruby.NET

This list is much larger.

If you are personally looking for a way to go for "personal" reason -
go with what you know - the learning curve will be flatter.

But, if you are looking for a language for professional or job security
- go with the major .NET languages VB/C#/Managed C++ and with ASP.NET.

..NET is here to stay and the market for "paying" customers is immense.
PHP has the freebie market. And people know, you get what you pay for.

Now, you may be think that this group is biased, and you'd be right.
But you don't ask a butcher, "which hammer would you choose for
roofing."

-Rick

Rick

Being pedantic for a second, ASP is dead and buried - ASP.NET is the way to
go.

I hate to contradict, but that is not true at all. I work for a state
of the art development firm in Cleveland - my assignments over the past
2 years has been nothing but fortune 100 companies. GE, Alcoa, NCB,
etc. Believe me when I tell you that every assignment I have been on
has had something major to do with ASP. Either supporting existing
pages, extending them, or integrating with ASP.NET.

ASP will not be dead for a long time.

Granted, my preference is ASP.NET in VS 2005 / .NET 2.0, but limiting
myself to that would be the fastest way to the unemployment line.

-Rick

Alan Silver

Rick said:
Anyone who cares about job security cares.

Depends on your position I suppose. I have my own company and so am free
to make my own decisions. I guess if you are in the open market then you
need to keep your skill set current.

Having said that, it's still a long way from language wars. Up until
..NET came along (at which point interest in classic VB started to
dwindle), there was always fierce wars between C++ programmers and VB
programmers. Both had very large markets, so whichever side of the fence
you sat, you still had as much chance of employment. The arguments were
not commercially based, they were "my language is better than your
language" for the most part.

That was what I meant when I said language wars were stupid. Keeping
your skill set current is not the same as taking sides in a language
war.

Ta ra