Stopping a stream with JMF

Laurent ADROIT

Hello,

I would like to be able to stop and resume a stream (eg: maintain
audio and add/remove video) with the Java Media Framwork.

I am working on the software : SIP Communicator.

In order to stop a stream which is currently playing and in order not
to disturb the other stream which has to continue to be played, I am
using the object SendStream with the method stop().

However it doesn't work. Both streams (audio and video) are stopped.
(and there are 2 separated SendStream objects : one for audio and one
for video).

Do you have any ideas ? Am I using the right class ?

Thank you in advance for you help,
Laurent ADROIT

Roedy Green

However it doesn't work. Both streams (audio and video) are stopped.
(and there are 2 separated SendStream objects : one for audio and one
for video).

Let's assume you are displaying a feed coming in on a socket. The
audio and video parts of it are intertwined. You can't very well ask
the socket to stop one but not the other. You would have to have two
socket feeds, ignore video on one and audio on the other.

The other way to handle it would be to simply stop displaying the
video of the feed, without actually stopping the feed. Basically you
disconnect your display from the feed and display a still.

I see Real Audio players do this sometimes, but that is not JMF.

Laurent ADROIT

Thank you for you quick answer.
Let's assume you are displaying a feed coming in on a socket. The
audio and video parts of it are intertwined. You can't very well ask
the socket to stop one but not the other. You would have to have two
socket feeds, ignore video on one and audio on the other.

I don't know really what are behing the objects SendStream ... but I
reckon that 2 sockets are created because there is one port for Audio
et one port for Video.

Moreover, the JMF librairy is designed to cope with audio/video
streams so there must be a way to handle it.

The other way to handle it would be to simply stop displaying the
video of the feed, without actually stopping the feed. Basically you
disconnect your display from the feed and display a still.

I am afraid that this is not acceptable on a network's point of view.

Laurent