Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition hanging ASP.Net applications?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Josh Brown, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Josh Brown

    Josh Brown Guest

    We are currently running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate edition on a Windows
    2000 Advanced server with .NET 1.1 framework. We've had all ASP.Net
    applications running on this machine hang twice in the last week... I've
    also noticed that the realtime virus scanning was running as a service in
    the background. Normal ASP websites on this server were not affected. I was
    able to restart the .NET applications by killing the aspnet_wp.exe process
    from windows Task manager. I've had problems on development machines in the
    past running AV software (ie.. virus scanner blocks scripts that use the
    File system object, etc.. . causing ASP applications to fail). I suspect
    this problem might be along the same lines....although not entirely sure
    which direction to head in now

    The particular version of Symantec Corporate Anti virus we are running is:
    8.1.0.825

    Anybody have ideas or theories about this behaviour with .NET and AV
    software in general?

    Josh Brown, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Josh Brown

    Oliver Guest

    Make sure that your anti-virus isn't scanning any temporary directories that
    ASP.NET uses and keep it away from the /bin folders. The scanner might
    "touch" the file and make ASP.NET think it has been changed, forcing a
    recompile. Then, the AV scanner thinks the file is new so it tries to scan
    it again. Around it goes.

    Oliver, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Please call Microsoft support (800) 936 5800 and request this hotfix. The
    support issue will be free.
    821438 FIX: Antivirus Programs May Cause Some Web Applications to Restart
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821438
    Here is another article to be aware of 312592 PRB: Random Application
    Restarts with "Application Is Restarting" Error
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312592
    I hope this helps.
    Thank you,
    John Soulis
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    John Soulis [MSFT], Nov 4, 2003
  4. Josh Brown

    Josh Brown Guest

    Yes... we had a number of possible items causing the problem. This helped
    narrow it down even more.

    Many Thanks :)

    Josh

    "John Soulis [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Please call Microsoft support (800) 936 5800 and request this hotfix. The
    > support issue will be free.
    > 821438 FIX: Antivirus Programs May Cause Some Web Applications to Restart
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821438
    > Here is another article to be aware of 312592 PRB: Random Application
    > Restarts with "Application Is Restarting" Error
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=312592
    > I hope this helps.
    > Thank you,
    > John Soulis
    > Microsoft, ASP.NET
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no

    rights.

    Josh Brown, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Josh Brown

    Josh Brown Guest

    thank you for the tips... it has helped us a lot :)

    Josh

    Josh Brown, Nov 5, 2003