To develop for Whidbey or not

Guest

I am about to start a new greenfield application. The big question is do I start on VS2005 CTP or not

I know the final release isn't until 2005 but a cursory glance makes it seem that ASP.NET in the CTP is quite 'close' and there are some great features there that will save me a whole load of time and which I'd like to use today

Does anyone have any REAL experience of developing on the CTP. Have you found major reasons NOT to use it. Performance

Will there be a 'GoLive' type license - I'm sure this was discussed by MS at some stage

A million more questions but this will do for starters

TIA, Paul.

Alex Papadimoulis

Hi Paul,

I would highly advise against developing a production application in
Whidbey. You run into far too many risks, especially at this early stage.
We're still in the Alpha (pre-Alpha maybe?), and there is a decent chance MS
will change some of the way things are done. Depending on what they change,
that could cost you a lot.

Then there's the question of bugs. Is it your program causing it? Is it a
bug in 2.0? How can you get support on addressing the bug?

And, you already addressed another key issue -- licencing. We don't know
exactly when ASP.NET 2.0 will be licenced in a production enviornment. Could
be six months, could be a year and a half. I hope for the former, but I
think it'll be somwhere inbetween. Can your client wait on that?

It's a great thing to play with, and I'd love to use it too (Generics!), but
it just isn't ready for production.

-- Alex Papadimoulis