Twisted Non-Admin Installation

Kartic

Hello,

I downloaded the Win32 installer for Twisted 1.3.0, Python 2.3.

The installer, when executed under my login, fails as it requires
administrator rights to install (why they have it as a requirement, I
don't understand).

So I started the installer as the admin user. That too failed because I
have a non-admin install of Python 2.3 on my machine and when I launch
the Twisted installer as admin, it is unable to find a Python
installation for the admin user!

So, can someone let me know how I can install Twisted as a non-admin
user for a non-admin installation of Python? Installing from source is
not an option as I do not have MSVC.

Thank you,
--Kartic

Kartic

BTW, I googled using some keywords and found nothing that would solve
my problem. I could also not find a searchable version of the twisted
mailing list.

Mike Meyer

Kartic said:
Hello,

I downloaded the Win32 installer for Twisted 1.3.0, Python 2.3.

The installer, when executed under my login, fails as it requires
administrator rights to install (why they have it as a requirement, I
don't understand).

So I started the installer as the admin user. That too failed because I
have a non-admin install of Python 2.3 on my machine and when I launch
the Twisted installer as admin, it is unable to find a Python
installation for the admin user!

So, can someone let me know how I can install Twisted as a non-admin
user for a non-admin installation of Python? Installing from source is
not an option as I do not have MSVC.

You can get the MSVC compiler for free, and use that to build from
source. See

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/73f29284d1e031c7

for details.

<mike

Kartic

Thanks. Does this mean I have to upgrade python 2.3.3 to python 2.4 in
order to get this working?

Mike Meyer

Kartic said:
Thanks. Does this mean I have to upgrade python 2.3.3 to python 2.4 in
order to get this working?

Whoops. Yeah, the instruction are for using MSVC 7.1, which is what
2.4 is build with. 2.3.x is built with MSVC 6.x. That's no longer even
commercially available.

There may be a way to do what you want without upgrading the
python. I'm not a Windows user, but happened to note that URL in
passing, and posted it to be helpful. I'd wait until after the holiday
to see if anyone has instructions that avoid having to upgrade Python
unless you want to upgrade anyway. Doing so will require rebuilding
all your .dll extensions, though. At least - on Unix upgrading from
2.x to 2.(x+1) requires reinstalling all extensions.

<mike

Kartic

Mike - I took the lazy route out.

Since the Twisted installer complained about not finding python for
admin, I exported the registry keys that Python installed my userid and
imported those registry entries back under the admin login. This made
it appear that there was indeed a Python install under admin.

Twisted bought that and installed as Admin!

(Though I am not entire happy about installing it as admin, this should
do it for now)

Thank you for your efforts to help.
--Kartic

Rob Williscroft

Kartic wrote in
in comp.lang.python:
Hello,

I downloaded the Win32 installer for Twisted 1.3.0, Python 2.3.

The installer, when executed under my login, fails as it requires
administrator rights to install (why they have it as a requirement, I
don't understand).

So I started the installer as the admin user. That too failed because I
have a non-admin install of Python 2.3 on my machine and when I launch
the Twisted installer as admin, it is unable to find a Python
installation for the admin user!

So, can someone let me know how I can install Twisted as a non-admin
user for a non-admin installation of Python? Installing from source is
not an option as I do not have MSVC.

Logon as Administrator, add yourself to the Administrators group
logon as yourself, install twisted. Then remove yourself from
the Administrators group.

This should let you install, but wether it leaves twisted in a
usable (by a non administrator) state, I don't know.

Also AIUI twisted have a mailing list of there own, the link

is on there home page: http://twistedmatrix.com

Rob.