ubuntu crash

benjamin.grant

I typed in apt-get remove python
and everything essentially was wiped off my computer. I jsut want to get it
back to the point of whwen I installed ubuntu, I'd like to get my documentst
back as well but doubt I'll be able to do this. I installed gnome so I have a
graphical interface again but can only log in as root. Is there a way to
resintall??? thanks
Ben

Jay

Here are some commands to try:

apt-get install ubuntu-standard
apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Also, I'd recommend trying Ubuntu's official forums website. I've
found their community to be extremely helpful.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Plus, why on earth would you want to ax Python?

Jorgen Grahn

I typed in apt-get remove python
and everything essentially was wiped off my computer.

You should have been told that [long list of important packages] would be
removed as well because they depended on Python, then been asked if you
still wanted to remove Python ...
[...] I'd like to get my documentst
back as well but doubt I'll be able to do this.
[...] but can only log in as root.

Huh? If you can log in, you can certainly get your documents back! Take a
backup of at least /home, /var/spool/mail and /etc to USB stick, a free hard
disk partition, or across the network. Do it before doing anything else.

/Jorgen