UML Tool

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
opensource tool would be nice

Thanks

Phil

Victor Bazarov

does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
opensource tool would be nice

Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

Philipp Kraus

Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
engeneering.

Thx

Phil

Andrea Crotti

Philipp Kraus said:
Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
engeneering.

Thx

Phil

I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

Noah Roberts

I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function, for
example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

I've come up with funky ways of doing this, usually reinventing it each
time, but I don't see how a program could without a clear idea of how
such things should be modeled...and I've never heard of one.

Philipp Kraus

I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML would help.
I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function,
for example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

Phil

Öö Tiib

I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML wouldhelp.

Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

There can't be so extremely good tools like you are seemingly
expecting. Some tools can indeed keep some simple UML class diagrams
and simple C++ class headers in sync more or less ... but that is it.

UML is semi-formal OOP software design language. C++ is semi-defined
multi-purpose and multi-paradigm programming language. Translating
round-trip will result with usual bablefish-google round-trip Japanese-
Zwahili translation nonsense.

Yannick Tremblay

I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

Certainly for more advanced C++ and for detailled implementation, I
would avoid code generating C++ from UML. However, I can see some use
for top level design to draw UML class diagrams and code generate the
headers from this diagram.

I am not aware of a UML tool that will deal with templates nicely but
for a non-templated class diagram, this should work without
introducing crappy code problems.

Yannick