    opensource tool would be nice

    Thanks

    Phil
    Philipp Kraus, Apr 5, 2011

  2. On 4/5/2011 9:27 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
    > I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
    > problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
    > with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
    > opensource tool would be nice

    Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
    information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

    Victor Bazarov, Apr 5, 2011

  3. On 2011-04-05 15:38:22 +0200, Victor Bazarov said:

    > On 4/5/2011 9:27 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
    >> does anyone know a tool / framework to create UML models (Version 2.0)?
    >> I have tested ArgoUML (http://argouml.tigris.org/) but I have some
    >> problems to import my template classes. I would like to create modells
    >> with the OMG defined strukture (model 2 model transformation). A
    >> opensource tool would be nice

    > Since UML is not language specific, I suspect you might find more
    > information in a non-language specific newsgroup like 'comp.object'.

    Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
    plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
    process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
    some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
    engeneering.

    Thx

    Phil
    Philipp Kraus, Apr 5, 2011
  4. Philipp Kraus <> writes:

    > Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
    > plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
    > process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
    > some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
    > engeneering.
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Phil

    I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
    complex and you would end up with very crappy code...
    Andrea Crotti, Apr 5, 2011
  5. Philipp Kraus

    Noah Roberts Guest

    On 4/5/2011 9:44 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
    > Philipp Kraus<> writes:
    >

    >> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
    >> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
    >> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
    >> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
    >> engeneering.
    >>
    >> Thx
    >>
    >> Phil

    > I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
    > complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

    I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

    I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
    For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
    been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function, for
    example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

    I've come up with funky ways of doing this, usually reinventing it each
    time, but I don't see how a program could without a clear idea of how
    such things should be modeled...and I've never heard of one.

    --
    http://crazycpp.wordpress.com
    Noah Roberts, Apr 5, 2011
  6. On 2011-04-05 18:57:51 +0200, Noah Roberts said:

    > On 4/5/2011 9:44 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
    >> Philipp Kraus<> writes:
    >>

    >>> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
    >>> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
    >>> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
    >>> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
    >>> engeneering.
    >>>
    >>> Thx
    >>>
    >>> Phil

    >> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
    >> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

    > I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

    I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML would help.

    > I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
    > For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
    > been a constant confusion for me. How do you model a free function,
    > for example? Concepts? Template meta-functions?

    Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

    Phil
    Philipp Kraus, Apr 5, 2011
  7. Enterprise Architect (sparx systems) it's good and cheap

    http://www.sparxsystems.com <http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/>

    bye.

    Onorato.

    softwareEngineer, Apr 5, 2011
  8. Philipp Kraus

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:58 pm, Philipp Kraus <> wrote:
    > On 2011-04-05 18:57:51 +0200, Noah Roberts said:

    > >> I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
    > >> complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

    > > I think the OP wants to create UML from C++ code.

    > I would like to create both directions, but at this time C++ to UML wouldhelp.
    >

    > > I for one don't know of a single UML tool that can effectively do this.
    > >   For one thing, coming up with ways to model C++ constructs in UML has
    > > been a constant confusion for me.  How do you model a free function,
    > > for example?  Concepts?  Template meta-functions?

    > Exactly, that are some problems. I don't found any good tools.

    There can't be so extremely good tools like you are seemingly
    expecting. Some tools can indeed keep some simple UML class diagrams
    and simple C++ class headers in sync more or less ... but that is it.

    UML is semi-formal OOP software design language. C++ is semi-defined
    multi-purpose and multi-paradigm programming language. Translating
    round-trip will result with usual bablefish-google round-trip Japanese-
    Zwahili translation nonsense.
    Öö Tiib, Apr 5, 2011
  9. On 2011-04-05, Andrea Crotti <> wrote:
    > Philipp Kraus <> writes:
    >

    >> Yes, but I would like to transforme the UML modell to C++ code. My
    >> plattform specified code is C++, so I search a tool to create the MDA
    >> process until C++ source code. I have tested primary tools for Java,
    >> some tools can create C++ but hey can't create a modell with reverse
    >> engeneering.
    >>

    > I think is a very bad idea to generate C++ from UML, C++ is way too
    > complex and you would end up with very crappy code...

    Certainly for more advanced C++ and for detailled implementation, I
    would avoid code generating C++ from UML. However, I can see some use
    for top level design to draw UML class diagrams and code generate the
    headers from this diagram.

    I am not aware of a UML tool that will deal with templates nicely but
    for a non-templated class diagram, this should work without
    introducing crappy code problems.

    Yannick
    Yannick Tremblay, Apr 6, 2011