Unable to run asp.net 2.0 application on server

Rob Meade

Hi all,

This is the first time I've encountered this problem.

This moring I have installed .Net 2.0 framework and AJAX 1.0 onto our server
which already had .Net 1.1 installed upon it.

After installing some security patches and rebooting everything was back up
and running.

I then tested my application and received the large red "Server Application
Unavailable" error message, I've seen this before and often hitting F5
clears it - not today it would seem.

I checked the event viewer as it recommended and I have these errors one
after the other at the same time:

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2076) stopped unexpectedly.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1089
Date: 26/07/2007
Time: 09:26:15
User: N/A
Computer: UBHNT55
Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
is denied.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1073
Date: 26/07/2007
Time: 09:26:15
User: N/A
Computer: UBHNT55
Failed to initialize the
AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/5/Root/Development/Production/AvonWeb/Applications/CDS/CDSReporting

Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException
Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its
dependencies. Access is denied.
StackTrace: at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName,
String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName,
Boolean ignoreCase, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args,
CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, Evidence securityInfo,
StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at System.AppDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String typeName)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)
at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)

So it looks like theres a permissions/security problem (middle error
above) - so does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this? .Net 1.1
applications still seem to be working.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Rob

Masudur

Date: 26/07/2007
Time: 09:26:15
[...]

HI...

check your application's asp.net version... and assign the appropriate
one...
for this use inetmgr to launce Internet information Service and then
select your application...
right click and select properties and look for asp.net tab... select
the asp.net version of your application

Thanks
Md. Masudur Rahman (Munna)
Kaz Software Ltd.
www.kaz.com.bd
http://munnacs.110mb.com

Rob Meade

check your application's asp.net version... and assign the appropriate
one...
for this use inetmgr to launce Internet information Service and then
select your application...
right click and select properties and look for asp.net tab... select
the asp.net version of your application

Hello Masudur,

Tahnk you for your reply - I had already set this to 2.0 etc prior to
launching the application.

Regards

Rob

LiveTecs

This is very common issue of IIS6. You can make it working by creating
seperate application pool for both asp.net 1.1 and asp.net 2 based
application. Otherwise you will be real trouble. It will work.

Livetecs.com
http://www.livetecs.com
Free integrated web based timesheet, task management and bug tracking
solution.