Unusual performance problem.

William A. Sempf

Hi, everyone. Posting this in the IIS group, because I don't think it is an
ASP.NET question, crossposting because I am not sure. Apologizing in
advance.

I have a page with a datagrid that binds to a dataset that is generated from
an Oracle database. If I trace the page load, and run ACT, the trace shows
that the dataset load takes 9 seconds, and ACT says the page returns in 10.6
seconds.

So I cached the dataset. On the first page load it is the same as above, as
expected. Now on the second page load the dataset load takes zero seconds
(Whole page render takes 1.1 seconds) and ACT says the page returns in ...

seven seconds.

What's up with that? Logically, since I dropped off the 9 second dataset
load, I had a net GAIN of 5.4 seconds by caching. According to trace, the
page render, from beginning to end, takes 1.1 seconds. Where are those
other seconds going to?

Sherif ElMetainy

Hello

May be the lost time is for databinding, which is done between hte loading
the dataset and rendering the page. The datagrid items has to be populated
and a lot of child controls ae created, which affects the performance. You
can shift processing the records in the dataset to the redering stage, but
you will lose te benefits of the datagrid, but will have better performance.

Best Regards

William A. Sempf

I thought of that to, but trace.writes before and after the databinding (and
everything else) show that the whole page render after caching only takes
1.1 seconds.

Also - wouldn't the databinding still take up the same amount of time if the
dataset were cached or not cached? Then my uncached load time would be 14.6
seconds.