Use different image for printing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughin, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    OK this code is very messy (validates though) and will be cleaned up, but:

    http://www.nrkn.com/carters/v3/

    This page is supposed to print OK as well. Problem... a white image on a
    transparent background, doesn't look good when printed -- all you see is
    where the white image antialiases to red. So I had to substitute another
    image for printing. So what I did was, I hid the print image in the normal
    stylesheet, and gave its container a background image that I knew wouldn't
    print. This means that when you have CSS disabled you only see the print
    image, which is actually a good thing.

    Still, it feels a bit clumsy. Anyone know of a more elegant way of doing
    this, or is this pretty much it?

    --
    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
    typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

    Nik Coughin, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Nik Coughin

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >> Still, it feels a bit clumsy. Anyone know of a more elegant way of
    >> doing this, or is this pretty much it?

    > Old experiment:
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/print_high_resolution_images.htm

    I originally used something like the first method, but I don't like that you
    get both when CSS is disabled. Call me picky.

    The second method is very nice, but utterly impractical due to its UA
    requirements.

    Looks like I'm stuck with my kludge for now. I just noticed that it means
    no alt-text for the logo when images are disabled though. Ick.

    I really like your site by the way (the design as well as the content), I'm
    suprised that I haven't seen it earlier as I have always read your comments
    with some interest, but you don't post your site in your sig, more the pity.

    Best wishes,

    Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 1, 2005
  4. in alt.html, "Nik Coughlin" <nrkn!hopefully no spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
    > Spartanicus wrote:
    > > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Still, it feels a bit clumsy. Anyone know of a more elegant way of
    > >> doing this, or is this pretty much it?

    > > Old experiment:
    > > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/print_high_resolution_images.htm

    > I originally used something like the first method, but I don't like that you
    > get both when CSS is disabled. Call me picky.

    You can use list-style-image. Works even in NN4. Haven't tried on IE5 or
    newer...

    > The second method is very nice, but utterly impractical due to its UA
    > requirements.

    And browser bugs may cause image downloaded anyway, as with my way too.

    > Looks like I'm stuck with my kludge for now. I just noticed that it means
    > no alt-text for the logo when images are disabled though. Ick.

    <link rel="alternative" media="print" href="print.html"> ?

    Utrecht, NL.

    Lauri Raittila, Mar 1, 2005