Use different image for printing

Nik Coughin

OK this code is very messy (validates though) and will be cleaned up, but:

http://www.nrkn.com/carters/v3/

This page is supposed to print OK as well. Problem... a white image on a
transparent background, doesn't look good when printed -- all you see is
where the white image antialiases to red. So I had to substitute another
image for printing. So what I did was, I hid the print image in the normal
stylesheet, and gave its container a background image that I knew wouldn't
print. This means that when you have CSS disabled you only see the print
image, which is actually a good thing.

Still, it feels a bit clumsy. Anyone know of a more elegant way of doing
this, or is this pretty much it?

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

Nik Coughlin

Spartanicus said:

I originally used something like the first method, but I don't like that you
get both when CSS is disabled. Call me picky.

The second method is very nice, but utterly impractical due to its UA
requirements.

Looks like I'm stuck with my kludge for now. I just noticed that it means
no alt-text for the logo when images are disabled though. Ick.

I really like your site by the way (the design as well as the content), I'm
suprised that I haven't seen it earlier as I have always read your comments
with some interest, but you don't post your site in your sig, more the pity.

Best wishes,

Nik Coughlin

Lauri Raittila

Nik Coughlin said:
I originally used something like the first method, but I don't like that you
get both when CSS is disabled. Call me picky.

You can use list-style-image. Works even in NN4. Haven't tried on IE5 or
newer...
The second method is very nice, but utterly impractical due to its UA
requirements.

And browser bugs may cause image downloaded anyway, as with my way too.
Looks like I'm stuck with my kludge for now. I just noticed that it means
no alt-text for the logo when images are disabled though. Ick.

<link rel="alternative" media="print" href="print.html"> ?