Help with IE 5.x please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughin, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Hi,

    Small site that I am working on:

    http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
    http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css

    Now, if you have a look at the browsercam capture:
    http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=121786

    You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
    the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
    of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

    Any ideas?

    Please ignore the microfonts, they are only there to keep the client's
    designer happy. I am going to talk to the client about this.

    --
    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
    typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

    Nik Coughin, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Nik Coughin

    Karl Core Guest

    Karl Core, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Nik Coughin

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Dec 20, 2004
  4. Nik Coughin

    rf Guest

    rf, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Nik Coughin

    rf Guest

    Nik Coughin
    > Hi,
    >
    > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
    > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
    >
    > Now, if you have a look at the browsercam capture:
    > http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=121786
    >
    > You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
    > the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
    > of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

    Turn all borders on:

    * {border: solid 1px green;}

    You will find that there is a gap between the navigation div and the
    unorderred list. Probably something to do with margins on the UL, which you
    do not specify. Try adding

    #navigation ul {margin: 0;}

    Looking at the CSS it really looks like you meant to say this anyway. You
    have three consecutive rules:

    #navigation
    #navigation
    #navigation li

    I seriously supspect you meant the second one to be #navigation ul

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Nik Coughin

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Karl Core wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Small site that I am working on:
    >>
    >> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
    >> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
    >>

    > What do the server logs say about how many users access the site
    > using IE 5.x?

    This particular site is not and has not ever been live, but without looking
    at any of my other logs I can say that it is a small percentage, and that
    despite being ugly in those browsers, the site still works. It doesn't look
    very professional though, especially for something that is probably trivial
    to fix.

    Nik Coughin, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Nik Coughin

    C A Upsdell Guest

    > Karl Core wrote:
    >> "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Small site that I am working on:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
    >>> http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
    >>>

    >> What do the server logs say about how many users access the site
    >> using IE 5.x?

    > This particular site is not and has not ever been live, but without
    > looking at any of my other logs I can say that it is a small percentage,
    > and that despite being ugly in those browsers, the site still works. It
    > doesn't look very professional though, especially for something that is
    > probably trivial to fix.

    Perhaps you should note that about as many people use IE5.0 as use IE5.5,
    but that IE5.0 CSS support is much worse. So if you are concerned with IE5,
    you should test with both.

    C A Upsdell, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Nik Coughin

    Kris Guest

    In article <P5txd.80902$>,
    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > > You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
    > > the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows. Problem is, I can't install either
    > > of those browsers on this computer to figure out why.

    > Turn all borders on:
    >
    > * {border: solid 1px green;}

    To Nik:
    Turning borders on affects the width of elements and may cause a
    delicate layout to break. If this happens, try a background-color
    instead.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Dec 20, 2004
  9. Nik Coughin

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell0311XXX@-@> wrote:

    > Perhaps you should note that about as many people use IE5.0 as use IE5.5,
    > but that IE5.0 CSS support is much worse.

    Actually, what I keep hearing and seeing is that far more people use 5.0
    than 5.5. I guess it depends though.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Dec 20, 2004
  10. Nik Coughin

    kchayka Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/index.html
    > http://www.nrkn.com/hhl/css/main.css
    >
    > You'll see that the side navigation overlays the main content when viewing
    > the site with IE 5 or 5.5 for Windows.

    There is also a problem with the navbar bleeding into the content when
    the text size is increased. Take a look in a mozilla browser with text
    zoomed to 150%. That's about the size I need to read it comfortably.

    > Please ignore the microfonts

    Easier said than done. ;)

    kchayka, Dec 20, 2004