Using a CMS for small site?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gilles, Jul 4, 2012.

  1. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    Hello

    Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
    rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
    find short-time renters.

    The site is just...
    - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
    displayed in a Flash slide show
    - a calendar to show availability
    - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
    - (ASAP) online payment

    Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
    Django? Other?

    Is a full-fledged CMS even needed for something like that?

    Thank you.

    Gilles, Jul 4, 2012

  2. Gilles

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Gilles <> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
    > rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
    > find short-time renters.
    >
    > The site is just...
    > - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
    > displayed in a Flash slide show
    > - a calendar to show availability
    > - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
    > - (ASAP) online payment
    >
    > Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
    > Django? Other?

    You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
    something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
    once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.

    But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
    much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
    looking for.

    Roy Smith, Jul 4, 2012

  3. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 06:28:09 -0400, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    >You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
    >something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
    >once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.
    >
    >But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
    >much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
    >looking for.

    Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
    wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

    Gilles, Jul 4, 2012
  4. Gilles

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    Gilles <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 06:28:09 -0400, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > >You probably want to look at https://www.django-cms.org/. It's not
    > >something that a person with "no computer knowledge" could set up, but
    > >once it's set up, that person could use it to build pages.
    > >
    > >But, to be honest, for somebody who really doesn't know anything, some
    > >much more pre-canned solution like WordPress might be what they're
    > >looking for.

    > Thanks for the input. Considering that contents won't change, I was
    > wondering if a full-fledged CMS was even necessary.

    If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
    prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
    editor.

    This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
    better forums for these kinds of questions.

    Roy Smith, Jul 4, 2012
  5. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:21:42 -0400, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    >This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group. There are
    >better forums for these kinds of questions.

    Probably. I'll keep that in mind while checking Python web frameworks.
    Thanks.

    Gilles, Jul 4, 2012
  6. Gilles

    alex23 Guest

    On Jul 5, 1:21 am, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    > If the content is truly never going to change, there's nothing to
    > prevent you from creating some static html files with your favorite text
    > editor.
    >
    > This is really getting quite far afield for a Python group.  There are
    > better forums for these kinds of questions.

    Not necessarily! There are several static site generators written in
    Python :)

    One that I see being updating a lot is Nikola: http://nikola.ralsina.com.ar/

    alex23, Jul 5, 2012
  7. Gilles <> writes:

    > The site is just...
    > - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
    > displayed in a Flash slide show
    > - a calendar to show availability
    > - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
    > - (ASAP) online payment
    >
    > Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
    > Django? Other?

    There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.

    You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
    and the onlie payment.

    Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
    quite some memory.

    Dieter Maurer, Jul 5, 2012
  8. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:09:40 -0700 (PDT), alex23 <>
    wrote:
    >Not necessarily! There are several static site generators written in
    >Python :)
    >
    >One that I see being updating a lot is Nikola: http://nikola.ralsina.com.ar/

    I'll check it out, thanks.

    Gilles, Jul 5, 2012
  9. Gilles

    Gilles Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:27:40 +0200, Dieter Maurer
    <> wrote:
    >There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.
    >
    >You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
    >and the onlie payment.

    I'll see what extensions it offers. Thanks.

    Gilles, Jul 5, 2012
  10. Gilles

    Alex Clark Guest

    On 7/5/12 4:27 AM, Dieter Maurer wrote:
    > Gilles <> writes:
    >
    >> The site is just...
    >> - a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
    >> displayed in a Flash slide show
    >> - a calendar to show availability
    >> - a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
    >> - (ASAP) online payment
    >>
    >> Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
    >> Django? Other?

    > There is also "Plone" ("http://plone.org") -- easy to set up.
    >
    > You likely need third party extensions for the "anti-SPAM" support
    > and the onlie payment.
    >
    > Unfortunately, "Plone" is quite resource hungry -- especially it wants
    > quite some memory.

    Actually with Plone 4 (and 4.2 in particular) that is becoming less
    true, I recently shrunk http://aclark.net to a 256MB vhost on rackspace
    cloud.

    --
    Alex Clark · http://pythonpackages.com

    Alex Clark, Jul 5, 2012
  11. In article <>,
    Gilles <> wrote:
    >Hello
    >
    >Someone I know with no computer knowledge has a studio appartment to
    >rent in Paris and spent four months building a small site in Joomla to
    >find short-time renters.
    >
    >The site is just...
    >- a few web pages that include text (in four languages) and pictures
    >displayed in a Flash slide show
    >- a calendar to show availability
    >- a form to send e-mail with anti-SPAM support
    >- (ASAP) online payment
    >
    >Out of curiosity, are there CMS/frameworks in Python that can do this?
    >Django? Other?
    >
    >Is a full-fledged CMS even needed for something like that?

    Good old rcs would be fine. It is oldfashioned, so you need only
    4 commands, compared to a bewildering display of icons.

    mkdir RCS
    ci *
    rcs -NSTABLE1: RCS/*

    Backup by