validation message only show in val summary when ShowSummary=true when no js to execute on client

TS

i have a page where JS is enabled. I have validation controls that have
custom validators and don't have clientValidationFunctions. when a
validation error occurs, the page stops processing and returns. When i have
ShowSummary = true, the error messages appear in the validation summary on
the page. When i have ShowSummary = false and ShowMessageBox = true, the
error messages aren't displayed in a popup box, only the validation
control's text is displayed on the form ("*").

Why is this?

thanks

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

ValidationSummary.ShowMessageBox was designed to pop up a dialog box to
show errors when client-side validation happens. Since the CustomValidator
does not have any client-side validation function, hence no client-side
validation happens when the button clicked.

You can workaround this by following code:

void ValidateBtn_OnClick(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (!Page.IsValid)
{
string msg = "Errors: \\n";
foreach(IValidator v in Validators)
{
if (!v.IsValid)
{
msg += v.ErrorMessage + "\\n";
ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(), "error",
"javascript:alert('" + msg + "');", true);

Regards,
Walter Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Ashu

hi,

I have a page with 4 textboxes. Two of them are mandatory fields,
whereas the other two have a condition as follows,

if one is entered a value, the other should also be entered a value.

how can i achieve with validation controls.

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks,
Ashu.

TS

thanks Walter I see this situation.

Ashu, you'll have to create a customvalidator and handle that logic in it on
the server side and if you want the client side

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Thank you for your update and please let me know if you need more help on
this.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support