vim configuration for python

Leonard J. Reder

Hello,

I am looking at configuring vim for Python. Most importantly I
need 4 spaces when the tab is hit. I am searching and getting
a bit confused. Does anyone know where I can find a set of
ready made .vimrc and ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim. If could find
c.vim and cpp.vim these would be useful also.

Thanks for any pointer.
Len
Leonard J. Reder
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Interferometry Systems and Technology Section 383
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Phone (Voice): 818-354-3639
Phone (FAX): 818-354-4357
Mail Address:
Mail Stop: 171-113
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA. 91109

haihui guo

I think you can do

set tabstop=4

also, it's better to

set expandtab

so, the tab will be expanded as space.

HG

Simon Percivall

I don't know if the binary editions include the Misc directory, but if
you download the Python source you'll find a directory called Misc. In
it, there's a vimrc file.

Stephen Thorne

Hello,

I am looking at configuring vim for Python. Most importantly I
need 4 spaces when the tab is hit. I am searching and getting
a bit confused. Does anyone know where I can find a set of
ready made .vimrc and ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim. If could find
c.vim and cpp.vim these would be useful also.

The default python.vim in the /usr/share/vim/vim63/ftplugin/ directory
automatically set the shiftwidth to 4 wide (i.e. a <tab> keypress
makes 4 spaces) and automatically uses spaces instead of tab
characters. A tab character in your file will be rendered as 8 wide.

Gary Johnson

In comp.editors Leonard J. Reder said:
Hello,

I am looking at configuring vim for Python. Most importantly I
need 4 spaces when the tab is hit. I am searching and getting
a bit confused. Does anyone know where I can find a set of
ready made .vimrc and ~/.vim/syntax/python.vim. If could find
c.vim and cpp.vim these would be useful also.

The vim distribution already contains python.vim files for syntax,
indenting and general configuration. It also contains a similar set
of c.vim and cpp.vim files. These should all be in the appropriate
subdirectories under $VIMRUNTIME. You might take a look at

:help ftplugins
:help filetype-indent-on
:help filetype-overview
:help usr_43.txt
:help usr_06.txt

If the files supplied with vim for Python don't do what you want,
you might also search the scripts and tips at vim.sf.net for
"python".

HTH,
Gary

Gary Johnson

In comp.editors DJK said:
Does anybody know of any scripts to check python syntax when you type
:make?

The problem I had doing this with Python was that the Python
interpreter spits out errors in the opposite order from that in
which I wanted to traverse them in vim's quickfix error list. I
wrote the following compiler file and helper script to work around
this. I don't use Python very often and haven't used in it a while,
so this still isn't very polished, but you might find it useful
anyway. Note also that I did this on a Unix system.

------------------------- compiler/python.vim --------------------------
" Vim compiler file
" Compiler: Python
" Maintainer: Gary Johnson <[email protected]>
" Last Change: 2002-06-26 00:27:56

if exists("current_compiler")
finish
endif
let current_compiler = "python"

setlocal makeprg=python\ %
setlocal shellpipe=2>&1\ \|\ ~/.vim/tools/efm_filter.py\ \|\ tee
" Note: efm_filter.py could be rewritten to send its input to stdout
" and to write its output to the file given on the command line. This
" way the user could see the familiar output from Python while the
" quickfix error file received the format the vim can understand. E.g.,
"
" setlocal shellpipe=2>&1\ \|\ ~/.vim/tools/efm_filter.py
"
" or
"
" setlocal shellpipe=2>&1\ \|\ tee\ /dev/tty\ \|\ ~/.vim/tools/efm_filter.py

setlocal errorformat=\ \ File\ \"%f\"\\,\ line\ %l\\,\ in\ %*[^\\,]\\,\ %m

------------------------- tools/efm_filter.py --------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import string

errors = sys.stdin.readlines()

message = errors.pop()[:-1]
errors.reverse()

for error in errors:
if string.find(error, ' File') == 0:
print error[:-1] + ", " + message
message = "Traceback"

To use these, put them in the indicated directories under ~/.vim and
execute ":compiler python". Also see ":help compiler".

HTH,
Gary