Visual Studio.NET 2005 Service Pack 1

Stuart

3) It will almost certainly take over an hour to install!!!

Possibly longer:

"The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this
message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a
Download" area on the Download Center home page."

Mark Rae

Possibly longer:

"The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this
message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a
Download" area on the Download Center home page."

I guess the site is getting hammered...

Juan T. Llibre

I downloaded VS 2005 SP1 + all the Express products SP's
before the site started getting hammered.

;-)

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Mark said:
And how long to install it...?

Didn't do it yet. Your word of caution (as well as others I read) made
me decide to wait until I find a good time.

Greetings,
Laurent

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Didn't do it yet. Your word of caution (as well as others I read) made me decide to wait until I
find a good time.

I figure we're headed for there anyway, so I installed it right away.
No problem so far.

Mark Rae

Hmm - interesting...

1) Uninstalled "old" WAP.

2) Started installation of SP1

3) Went to the pub to watch the match

4) After installation of SP1, rebooted machine - it didn't ask me too, but
this isn't my first day... ;-)

5) Opened all my existing web application projects - all recompiled without
error in both Debug and Release mode

Smile - relief... etc

However, now I need to make a change to one of the existing web app
projects, so I open the aspx in question, and immediately get the following
error:

Error 3 C:\Documents and Settings\MarkRae\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx_app\Global.asax: ASP.NET runtime error:
There is no build provider registered for the extension ''. You can register
one in the <compilation><buildProviders> section in machine.config or
web.config. Make sure is has a BuildProviderAppliesToAttribute attribute
which includes the value 'Web' or 'All'. C:\Documents and
Settings\MarkRae\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\Projects\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx_app\Global.asax 1 1 xxxxxxxx_app

[Obviously, I've replaced the actual name of the solution and project with
xxxxxxxx because it's a very well-known company and I've signed an NDA
etc...]

The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line underneath
it...
<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global"
Language="C#" %>

What is even stranger is that this shows up as an error, not a warning or a
message, but the app still compiles and runs...???

Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

There is a mention of it on Scott Guthrie's blog as relates to the "old"
WAP, but no mention on what causes it or how to get rid of it...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line underneath it...
<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" Language="C#" %>

1. Where's the "codefile" property ???
2. Why are you using "codebehind" in an ASP.NET 2.0 global.asax ?

3. Why are you using Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" in an ASP.NET 2.0 app ?
Is your ASP.NET 2.0 app named "Global" ?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa20t577.aspx

Mark Rae said:
Mark Rae said:

[...]

which includes the value 'Web' or 'All'. C:\Documents and Settings\MarkRae\My Documents\Visual
Studio 2005\Projects\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx_app\Global.asax 1 1 xxxxxxxx_app

[Obviously, I've replaced the actual name of the solution and project with xxxxxxxx because it's a
very well-known company and I've signed an NDA etc...]

The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line underneath it...
<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" Language="C#" %>

What is even stranger is that this shows up as an error, not a warning or a message, but the app
still compiles and runs...???

Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

There is a mention of it on Scott Guthrie's blog as relates to the "old" WAP, but no mention on
what causes it or how to get rid of it...

Mark Rae

1. Where's the "codefile" property ???

It's nowhere, obviously, because it's not needed here - where would you like
it to be...? This is a web application, not a web site...
2. Why are you using "codebehind" in an ASP.NET 2.0 global.asax ?

Why not?
3. Why are you using Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" in an ASP.NET 2.0 app
?

Why not?
Is your ASP.NET 2.0 app named "Global" ?

No of course it isn't - why would you think it is...?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
It's nowhere, obviously, because it's not needed here

ASP.NET 2.0 has gone away from the code behind model
to the inline script model for its Global.asax pages.

Here's an alternate way to switch back to the global.asax codebehind model:

<%@ Application Language="C#" Inherits="Global" %>

Look, ma, no ' Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" ' !

The only other step is to write your code to a class file called Global.cs.

public partial class Global : System.Web.HttpApplication
void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
// Code that runs on application startup
}

etc...

You must move global.asax.cs to the App_Code directory, too.

Of course, you may use :

<%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="YourNamespace.Global" %>

( notice : "YourNamespace.Global", not "YourApplicationName.Global" )

....but why would you ? ( since it entails additional work... )
( and why would you use the alternate method I suggest ? )

I have changed over to the inline, default, no codebehind, model.

re:
- where would you like it to be...? This is a web application, not a web site...
Why not?
No of course it isn't - why would you think it is...?

If you change to the inline model for global.asax ( which is now the default in
ASP.NET 2.0) you won't have any of the problems you seem to be having.

Using the CodeBehind and Inherits attributes and putting the .cs file in App_Code does work.

There is not much of a benefit in doing so, though.
There's nothing you can do in global.asax codebehind which you can't do inline.

Besides, why work against what the ASP.NET Dev Team
decided was a better way to implement global.asax ?

Mark Rae

re:

ASP.NET 2.0 has gone away from the code behind model
to the inline script model for its Global.asax pages.

1) Create a new web application project

2) Right-click the project in Solution Explorer

3) Click Add, New Item

4) Select Global Application Class

5) Click Add

What do you get...?
Besides, why work against what the ASP.NET Dev Team
decided was a better way to implement global.asax ?

So why doesn't one get created by default, or by adding a new Global
file...?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
1) Create a new web application project
2) Right-click the project in Solution Explorer
3) Click Add, New Item
4) Select Global Application Class
5) Click Add
What do you get...?

A global.asax *without* a codebehind file.
What do you get ?

re:
So why doesn't one get created by default, or by adding a new Global file...?

Not all applications need a global.asax file.
Why add a global.asax file by default to applications which don't need it ?

To those that do need it, as determined by the developer,
one can be added although, as noted, it won't have a codebehind file.

The key, Mark, is that ASP.NET 2.0's (and, therefore VS 2005's)
default global.asax file does *not* use codebehind because you
can do anything inline, in a global.asax file, which you can do in
a global.asax codebehind file, so why go to the extra trouble ?

To top it all, if you use a codebehind file, which you can still do,
as the procedure I outlined proves, you will be compiling the code twice.

Once to compile global.asax.cs's codebehind and another time to merge
global.asax.cs's compilation with the compilation which global.asax will require anyway.

That seems more than a bit wasteful.

Mark Rae

I don't understand what this little diatribe is all about. I have no
trouble
creating Global.asax with matching codebehind in the WAP model. That's the
way I prefer it.

Me too.
And yes, not every project "needs" to have a Global class.

Obviously.

Juan T. Llibre

Yup. It dawned on me that was the reason.

I don't know why Peter called our exchanges a "diatribe", though.

"Diatribe" means : "a thunderous verbal attack".
Neither of us was doing that, were we ?

;-)