Visual Studio.NET 2005 Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006

  2. Hi Mark,

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com:80/vstudio/support/vs2005sp1/default.aspx
    >
    > 1) This is big - nearly 500Mb

    Having had to download the 1.16 GB big Windows SDK for .NET 3.0 at least
    once every month since March, I don't feel that 430 MB or so are that
    big ;-) It took me 3 minutes to download the SP1.

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Dec 16, 2006

  3. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Laurent Bugnion" <> wrote in message

    > It took me 3 minutes to download the SP1.

    And how long to install it...?

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Mark Rae

    Stuart Guest

    > 3) It will almost certainly take over an hour to install!!!

    Possibly longer:

    "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this
    message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a
    Download" area on the Download Center home page."

    Stuart, Dec 16, 2006
  5. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    >> 3) It will almost certainly take over an hour to install!!!

    > Possibly longer:
    >
    > "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this
    > message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a
    > Download" area on the Download Center home page."

    I guess the site is getting hammered...

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006
  6. I downloaded VS 2005 SP1 + all the Express products SP's
    before the site started getting hammered.

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 16, 2006
  7. Hi,

    Mark Rae wrote:
    > "Laurent Bugnion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It took me 3 minutes to download the SP1.

    > And how long to install it...?

    Didn't do it yet. Your word of caution (as well as others I read) made
    me decide to wait until I find a good time.

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Dec 16, 2006
  8. re:
    > Didn't do it yet. Your word of caution (as well as others I read) made me decide to wait until I
    > find a good time.

    I figure we're headed for there anyway, so I installed it right away.
    No problem so far.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Mark Rae" <> wrote in message

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com:80/vstudio/support/vs2005sp1/default.aspx

    Hmm - interesting...

    1) Uninstalled "old" WAP.

    2) Started installation of SP1

    3) Went to the pub to watch the match

    4) After installation of SP1, rebooted machine - it didn't ask me too, but
    this isn't my first day... ;-)

    5) Opened all my existing web application projects - all recompiled without
    error in both Debug and Release mode

    Smile - relief... etc

    However, now I need to make a change to one of the existing web app
    projects, so I open the aspx in question, and immediately get the following
    error:

    Error 3 C:\Documents and Settings\MarkRae\My Documents\Visual Studio
    2005\Projects\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx_app\Global.asax: ASP.NET runtime error:
    There is no build provider registered for the extension ''. You can register
    one in the <compilation><buildProviders> section in machine.config or
    web.config. Make sure is has a BuildProviderAppliesToAttribute attribute
    which includes the value 'Web' or 'All'. C:\Documents and
    Settings\MarkRae\My Documents\Visual Studio
    2005\Projects\xxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxx_app\Global.asax 1 1 xxxxxxxx_app

    [Obviously, I've replaced the actual name of the solution and project with
    xxxxxxxx because it's a very well-known company and I've signed an NDA
    etc...]

    The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line underneath
    it...
    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global"
    Language="C#" %>

    What is even stranger is that this shows up as an error, not a warning or a
    message, but the app still compiles and runs...???

    Anybody else experiencing this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

    There is a mention of it on Scott Guthrie's blog as relates to the "old"
    WAP, but no mention on what causes it or how to get rid of it...

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006
  10. re:
    > The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line underneath it...
    > <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" Language="C#" %>

    1. Where's the "codefile" property ???
    2. Why are you using "codebehind" in an ASP.NET 2.0 global.asax ?

    3. Why are you using Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" in an ASP.NET 2.0 app ?
    Is your ASP.NET 2.0 app named "Global" ?

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wa20t577.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 16, 2006
  11. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message

    >> The entire first line of the aspx file has the blue squiggly line
    >> underneath it...
    >> <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs"
    >> Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" Language="C#" %>

    > 1. Where's the "codefile" property ???

    It's nowhere, obviously, because it's not needed here - where would you like
    it to be...? This is a web application, not a web site...

    > 2. Why are you using "codebehind" in an ASP.NET 2.0 global.asax ?

    Why not?

    > 3. Why are you using Inherits="xxxxxxxx_app.Global" in an ASP.NET 2.0 app
    > ?

    Why not?

    > Is your ASP.NET 2.0 app named "Global" ?

    No of course it isn't - why would you think it is...?

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006
  12. re:
    > It's nowhere, obviously, because it's not needed here

    ASP.NET 2.0 has gone away from the code behind model
    to the inline script model for its Global.asax pages.

    Here's an alternate way to switch back to the global.asax codebehind model:

    <%@ Application Language="C#" Inherits="Global" %>

    Look, ma, no ' Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" ' !

    The only other step is to write your code to a class file called Global.cs.

    public partial class Global : System.Web.HttpApplication
    void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    // Code that runs on application startup
    }

    etc...

    You must move global.asax.cs to the App_Code directory, too.

    Of course, you may use :

    <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.cs" Inherits="YourNamespace.Global" %>

    ( notice : "YourNamespace.Global", not "YourApplicationName.Global" )

    ....but why would you ? ( since it entails additional work... )
    ( and why would you use the alternate method I suggest ? )

    I have changed over to the inline, default, no codebehind, model.

    re:
    > - where would you like it to be...? This is a web application, not a web site...
    > Why not?
    > No of course it isn't - why would you think it is...?

    If you change to the inline model for global.asax ( which is now the default in
    ASP.NET 2.0) you won't have any of the problems you seem to be having.

    Using the CodeBehind and Inherits attributes and putting the .cs file in App_Code does work.

    There is not much of a benefit in doing so, though.
    There's nothing you can do in global.asax codebehind which you can't do inline.

    Besides, why work against what the ASP.NET Dev Team
    decided was a better way to implement global.asax ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 16, 2006
  13. Mark Rae

    > re:
    >> It's nowhere, obviously, because it's not needed here

    > ASP.NET 2.0 has gone away from the code behind model
    > to the inline script model for its Global.asax pages.

    1) Create a new web application project

    2) Right-click the project in Solution Explorer

    3) Click Add, New Item

    4) Select Global Application Class

    5) Click Add

    What do you get...?

    > Besides, why work against what the ASP.NET Dev Team
    > decided was a better way to implement global.asax ?

    So why doesn't one get created by default, or by adding a new Global
    file...?

    Mark Rae, Dec 16, 2006
  14. re:
    > 1) Create a new web application project
    > 2) Right-click the project in Solution Explorer
    > 3) Click Add, New Item
    > 4) Select Global Application Class
    > 5) Click Add
    > What do you get...?

    A global.asax *without* a codebehind file.
    What do you get ?

    re:
    >> Besides, why work against what the ASP.NET Dev Team
    >> decided was a better way to implement global.asax ?

    > So why doesn't one get created by default, or by adding a new Global file...?

    Not all applications need a global.asax file.
    Why add a global.asax file by default to applications which don't need it ?

    To those that do need it, as determined by the developer,
    one can be added although, as noted, it won't have a codebehind file.

    The key, Mark, is that ASP.NET 2.0's (and, therefore VS 2005's)
    default global.asax file does *not* use codebehind because you
    can do anything inline, in a global.asax file, which you can do in
    a global.asax codebehind file, so why go to the extra trouble ?

    To top it all, if you use a codebehind file, which you can still do,
    as the procedure I outlined proves, you will be compiling the code twice.

    Once to compile global.asax.cs's codebehind and another time to merge
    global.asax.cs's compilation with the compilation which global.asax will require anyway.

    That seems more than a bit wasteful.

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 17, 2006
  15. Mark Rae

    > re:
    >> 1) Create a new web application project
    >> 2) Right-click the project in Solution Explorer
    >> 3) Click Add, New Item
    >> 4) Select Global Application Class
    >> 5) Click Add
    >> What do you get...?

    > A global.asax *without* a codebehind file.
    > What do you get ?

    A global.asax *with* a codebehind file...honest :)

    Mark Rae, Dec 17, 2006
  16. Guys,
    I don't understand what this little diatribe is all about. I have no trouble
    creating Global.asax with matching codebehind in the WAP model. That's the
    way I prefer it.
    And yes, not every project "needs" to have a Global class.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Dec 17, 2006
  17. Peter,

    do you think that, perhaps, my not using WAP makes a difference ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 17, 2006
  18. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    > I don't understand what this little diatribe is all about. I have no
    > trouble
    > creating Global.asax with matching codebehind in the WAP model. That's the
    > way I prefer it.

    Me too.

    > And yes, not every project "needs" to have a Global class.

    Obviously.

    Mark Rae, Dec 17, 2006
  19. Mark Rae

    > do you think that, perhaps, my not using WAP makes a difference ?

    Ah - well of course it does!

    *Now* I understand your "Where's the CodeFile...?" comment... :)

    Mark Rae, Dec 17, 2006
  20. Yup. It dawned on me that was the reason.

    I don't know why Peter called our exchanges a "diatribe", though.

    "Diatribe" means : "a thunderous verbal attack".
    Neither of us was doing that, were we ?

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Dec 17, 2006