VS.NET 2003 crashing while building/rebuilding

andrei

Hi Group,

Environment: Windows 2000 Professional, VS.NET 2003
The solution has 30 projects (one main asp.net application and the rest are
dlls)

We have this annoying behaviour with our ASP.NET application
From time to time, when trying to build or rebuild or run the application,
we experience VS crashes.
VS starts by building the dependent dlls (which is perfectly OK) but when it
comes to the final step - putting everything together and building the main
dll, the VS just vanishes - the process stops without any warning or error
or message. The logs don't mention anything.

The only solution for us is to restart VS, reload the solution, then
rebuild.

Sometimes it happens 5 times in a row, before being able to run the
application, other times 2 or 3 times.
And sometimes it works just fine from the beginning.
We were not able to constantly reproduce the behaviour.
We tried on 3 desktops and a laptop with similar configuration - same
behaviour.
This crashes began once we grew over 22-25 dll projects.

We also tried to uncheck some projects to prevent their rebuilding (projects
we knew we didn't change) but nothing changed.

But once the rebuild completes, if we move the runtime stuff to the
production server (or to any other computer), the application runs fine - no
crashes.
Has anybody experienced similar things ?
What steps could we take for debugging or trapping the slightest sign of
what's going on ?

Many thanks,

Andrei.