VS2008 debugger stops immediately

WT

Hello,

I have a web application using framework 3.5 with C# and ajax extensions.
Vista.
When I start debugger with F5, the Cassini browser is opened, debugger seems
to start in VS but it stops immediatelly, the application continue to run in
the browser without stopping on break points.
Seems like its running without debugger, but I have checked everything,
Debug is set as current configuration, also in web.config ?
I can't find the reason why.
Some times the debugger start really, one time I get a message saying thta
the debug source has changed and is later than the debugged file, looks like
a cache problem ?

Any idea welcome.
CS

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

I think you should post this in the CLR debugger newsgroup since it seems to
be a debugger issue.

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CS,

As for the debugging problem, is it occuring right after you've installed
the Visual STudo 2008 or have you ever been able to get the debugging work
correct? Also, you can try manually attach to ASP.NET process to see
whether such kind of debugging will work.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

WT

Hello Steven,

Fine to have an answer from you again, happy new 2008 year.

Concerning my problem, I have frequently succeded in debuging asp.net
applications with VS2008 and f 3.5.

Recently I had a more explicit message with a dialog saying that the module
to debug: ascorel.dll in the folder MyUserLoginName\....\tempsomething.dll
was built with debug desabled and that it is the reason why debuger stops.

For, I checked everything and all the usual debug options are present,
normally this drive to a debug pdb file being generated.

The non ordinary fact is that this project is a Web Application I have
installed the extension supplied for this by MS (Scott Gu) and I am running
Vista (I am local admin) under a domain (normal user).

Theses 2 factors seem to lead to instability in the fact that debuged pdb
code is generated, or may be files are not correctly copied to destination
folder after compile ???

Note also thta I made changes to the name of the assembly, but here again
according tomy experience things are settle Ok.

Should I be the only one with this annoying and sporadic dysfunction ?

Regards
CS

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply CS,

As you mentioned the problem was actually caused by a certain assembly is
not built as debug one or without debug PDB file, right?

I haven't found any existing issue of such sporadic behavior, I think it
maybe caused by some environment specific things. Also, since you're using
a vista box, have you made sure that you're running it in Elevated
privilege account everytime you use Visual Studio? This is very important
as something in Visual Studio may not work quite correctly when you're not
in elevated mode(for admin privilege account).

From: "WT" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VS2008 debugger stops immediately
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:59:25 +0100
Hello Steven,

[...]

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de news:[email protected]...
Hi CS,

As for the debugging problem, is it occuring right after you've installed
the Visual STudo 2008 or have you ever been able to get the debugging work
correct? Also, you can try manually attach to ASP.NET process to see
whether such kind of debugging will work.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

rights.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CS,

Just to repost my last reply in case of any message droping:

============

===============

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:59:25 +0100
Hello Steven,

[...]

Thanks again,

This one, I received it.

I was not running always vs in elevated privilege, I will do so.

I discovered that there was a lot of 'not detected errors' in one of my
aspx: table with badly closed rows mainly.
After correcting these, seems that I get less run on an older compiled
version in cache.
I will now always run in elevated rights, thanks.

Working on Vista box is a guaranty for me that I am in the same conditions
as my users, hope thta it will be easier in the futur to set an envirnment
role under Vista with facility to switch to normal user mode to test.

Best regards.
CS

From: "WT" <[email protected]>
Subject: VS2008 debugger stops immediately
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:30:07 +0100

Hello,

[...]

Yes, it's better to dev & test in the same env as the end users. The
elevated mode is just recommended for using Visual Studio, for consumer
that visist the application, you can surely let them be as normal mode. I
did ever meet some problems when not running it in elevated mode myself
when developing on Vista box (especially when you need to open some certain
resource such as listening on a http port).

Anyway, there is anything else we can help, welcome to post here.

From: "WT" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:59:10 +0100
Thanks again,

This one, I received it.

I was not running always vs in elevated privilege, I will do so.

I discovered that there was a lot of 'not detected errors' in one of my
aspx: table with badly closed rows mainly.
After correcting these, seems that I get less run on an older compiled
version in cache.
I will now always run in elevated rights, thanks.

Working on Vista box is a guaranty for me that I am in the same conditions
as my users, hope thta it will be easier in the futur to set an envirnment
role under Vista with facility to switch to normal user mode to test.

Best regards.
CS

de news:mZoS%[email protected]...