Web project with dots in virtual directory name cannot be loaded.

BY

Error when opening a solution with a web services project in it:

"The default Web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
project folder at 'http://localhost/my.webservices' cannot be opened with the
path 'C:\development\my.webservices'. The error returned was:

Unable to open Web project 'my.webservices'. The file path
'C:\development\my.webservices' does not correspond to the URL
'http://localhost/my.webservices'. The two need to map to the same location.
HTTP Error 404: Object Not Found"

The problem is narrowed down and it seems that IIS is not supporting any
virtual directory names containing dots. Is this a known issue? When creating
a Web project with dots in the name, the namespace also contains dots, and so
does the virtual directory.

The strange thing is that on two other systems, the problem is not
encountered and the web project opens up, builds, and runs successfully.

System Details:
Windows XP Pro SP2
IIS 5.1
..NET Framework 1.1

Thanks in advance.

Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu

=?Utf-8?B?Qlk=?= said:
The problem is narrowed down and it seems that IIS is not supporting any
virtual directory names containing dots. Is this a known issue? When

This can be caused by the IIS lock down kit IIRC. However I would recommend
avoiding dots in directory names anwyays.
creating a Web project with dots in the name, the namespace also
contains dots, and so does the virtual directory.

You can adjust the project name and keep the namespace with dots.
The strange thing is that on two other systems, the problem is not
encountered and the web project opens up, builds, and runs successfully.

IIS lockdown kit most likely.

BY

I uninstalled the IIS URL scan utility and the virtual directories are now
accessible. So, the problem lies in having dots in the URL path (virtual
directory name). I assume you would probably have the same problem if a file
(e.g. my.file.asmx) had embedded dots in it too.

Thanks.