Web project with dots in virtual directory name cannot be loaded.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by BY, May 11, 2005.

  1. BY

    BY Guest

    Error when opening a solution with a web services project in it:

    "The default Web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
    project folder at 'http://localhost/my.webservices' cannot be opened with the
    path 'C:\development\my.webservices'. The error returned was:

    Unable to open Web project 'my.webservices'. The file path
    'C:\development\my.webservices' does not correspond to the URL
    'http://localhost/my.webservices'. The two need to map to the same location.
    HTTP Error 404: Object Not Found"

    The problem is narrowed down and it seems that IIS is not supporting any
    virtual directory names containing dots. Is this a known issue? When creating
    a Web project with dots in the name, the namespace also contains dots, and so
    does the virtual directory.

    The strange thing is that on two other systems, the problem is not
    encountered and the web project opens up, builds, and runs successfully.

    System Details:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    IIS 5.1
    ..NET Framework 1.1

    Thanks in advance.
    BY, May 11, 2005

  2. "=?Utf-8?B?Qlk=?=" <> wrote in
    > The problem is narrowed down and it seems that IIS is not supporting any
    > virtual directory names containing dots. Is this a known issue? When

    This can be caused by the IIS lock down kit IIRC. However I would recommend
    avoiding dots in directory names anwyays.

    > creating a Web project with dots in the name, the namespace also
    > contains dots, and so does the virtual directory.

    You can adjust the project name and keep the namespace with dots.

    > The strange thing is that on two other systems, the problem is not
    > encountered and the web project opens up, builds, and runs successfully.

    IIS lockdown kit most likely.

    Blog: http://blogs.atozed.com/kudzu
    Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu, May 11, 2005

  3. BY

    BY Guest

    Re: Web project with dots in virtual directory name cannot be load

    I uninstalled the IIS URL scan utility and the virtual directories are now
    accessible. So, the problem lies in having dots in the URL path (virtual
    directory name). I assume you would probably have the same problem if a file
    (e.g. my.file.asmx) had embedded dots in it too.

    Thanks.

    BY, May 11, 2005
  4. BY

    BY, May 11, 2005