Web service fails to run on Windows 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tom, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi,

    We have a web service (developed in C# framework 1) that run for some time
    on Windows 2000. Recently we upgraded it to framework 2 and run successfully
    on Windows 2000 and XP. However, we cannot run it on our new Windows 2003
    box. The service runs and we can even instantiate it but then it dies point
    to NULL login object.

    ERROR(7/27/2006 2:55 PM):
    FUNCTION: ProcessFile: Loop for processing lines
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
    request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
    instance of an object. at CustomerUpdateService..ctor() --- End of inner
    exception stack trace ---
    STACK TRACE: at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at
    methodName, Object[] parameters) at
    WService.CustomerUpdateService.SetAllCustomerStatus(Char status, String
    accessPassword) at COMP.BLAH.BLAHCustomerExtract.ProcessFile(String fileName)
    SOURCE: System.Web.Service

    On box that runs windows 2003 we have framework 2.0 installed and properly
    configured. The site that uses this service runs fine and we have no
    problems. Except that the web services cannot run.

    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Tom
    Tom, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Tom

    Guest

    Hallo Tom,
    this much more like a network issue. Are you able to call service with
    using some tool from w2k3 ? (like is webservicestudio) ?

    Martin

    Tom wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a web service (developed in C# framework 1) that run for some time
    > on Windows 2000. Recently we upgraded it to framework 2 and run successfully
    > on Windows 2000 and XP. However, we cannot run it on our new Windows 2003
    > box. The service runs and we can even instantiate it but then it dies point
    > to NULL login object.

    > ERROR(7/27/2006 2:55 PM):
    > FUNCTION: ProcessFile: Loop for processing lines
    > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
    > request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
    > instance of an object. at CustomerUpdateService..ctor() --- End of inner
    > exception stack trace ---
    > STACK TRACE: at
    > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    > message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at
    > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    > methodName, Object[] parameters) at
    > WService.CustomerUpdateService.SetAllCustomerStatus(Char status, String
    > accessPassword) at COMP.BLAH.BLAHCustomerExtract.ProcessFile(String fileName)
    > SOURCE: System.Web.Services
    >
    > On box that runs windows 2003 we have framework 2.0 installed and properly
    > configured. The site that uses this service runs fine and we have no
    > problems. Except that the web services cannot run.
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated,
    > Tom
    , Jul 31, 2006

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for reply,
    I don't think it is a network issue since I tried to call and run the
    service from the same server. I call the web service from the windows
    service.

    Tom

    Tom, Aug 1, 2006
  4. Tom

    Guest

    Hi Tom,
    at this point you have no more to see from exception. You could try
    either catch some network traffic, I use for this soaptoolkit, or
    either You could try to call this service with another tool, which can
    allow to to see request/response in http form. I encourage you to use
    sniffing method to see what is really going on there.
    You can then see whether your service can parse request/response or you
    are connecting correctly or any other reason. You can also simulate
    some requests to see correct answers.
    Probably, you already tried webbrowser debug, didn't you ?

    regards, Martin

    Tom wrote:
    > Thanks for reply,
    > I don't think it is a network issue since I tried to call and run the
    > service from the same server. I call the web service from the windows
    > service.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > "" wrote:
    >
    > > Hallo Tom,
    > > this much more like a network issue. Are you able to call service with
    > > using some tool from w2k3 ? (like is webservicestudio) ?
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >
    > > Tom wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > We have a web service (developed in C# framework 1) that run for some time
    > > > on Windows 2000. Recently we upgraded it to framework 2 and run successfully
    > > > on Windows 2000 and XP. However, we cannot run it on our new Windows 2003
    > > > box. The service runs and we can even instantiate it but then it dies point
    > > > to NULL login object.
    > > >
    > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > > ERROR(7/27/2006 2:55 PM):
    > > > FUNCTION: ProcessFile: Loop for processing lines
    > > > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process
    > > > request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
    > > > instance of an object. at CustomerUpdateService..ctor() --- End of inner
    > > > exception stack trace ---
    > > > STACK TRACE: at
    > > > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    > > > message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) at
    > > > System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    > > > methodName, Object[] parameters) at
    > > > WService.CustomerUpdateService.SetAllCustomerStatus(Char status, String
    > > > accessPassword) at COMP.BLAH.BLAHCustomerExtract.ProcessFile(String fileName)
    > > > SOURCE: System.Web.Services
    > > >
    > > > On box that runs windows 2003 we have framework 2.0 installed and properly
    > > > configured. The site that uses this service runs fine and we have no
    > > > problems. Except that the web services cannot run.
    > > >
    > > > Any help is greatly appreciated,
    > > > Tom

    , Aug 1, 2006