Webpage loading takes about 15 seconds with DSL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Danny, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hi,

    we have just uploaded our first APS.NET webpage some days ago.

    Now we had to notice that it takes soo long until the page is shown. About
    15 seconds.

    First we thought, maybe it's because we have our clients in germany and the
    server is located in the USA. But this is not the reason, because the ping
    is ok.

    Now we looked at the code, the pictures sizes and so on, but we could not
    find a problem here. Everything should be quite fast.

    Then we asked our provider and they said, well, if the ping is ok, then it
    must be our problem. I guess that it has to do with the shared server and
    thus shared IIS we are using, because haved loaded the page one time and
    deleting the clients cache, the next loading of the page is much faster.

    Visitors will be very disappointed, because they want to have a quick
    Please help? What could be the problem and how to solve it?!

    Regards
    Danny

    Danny, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Do you have a URL we can look at?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    Printing Components, Email Components,
    http://www.miradyne.net

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 26, 2007

  3. Danny,
    The basic process in ASP.Net is the code is compiled the very first time it
    is run when the web application starts. Once the site has had 20 minutes or
    so of inactivity, and the last session is destroyed the application is
    released from memory. That's how IIS recovers resources and maintains a
    healthy state. When the site is hit again IIS creates the application space
    and the ASP.Net code is re-compiled. This is just how the process works. You
    could try to set up some automated browser that will view an .aspx web page
    on your site every so often to try to maintain the application in a compiled
    state in memory.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Danny

    LiveTecs Guest

    Hi Danny,

    On shared hosting environemnt on IIS6, by default, application pool always
    shutdown asp.net process in case of 20 minutes of inactivity. And then
    whenever we are requesting page after asp.net process shutdown, it always
    take about 10 to 20 seconds to restart itself.

    I switched 3 shared hosting company for one of my client and finally get one
    good hosting company where I didn't find this issue.

    Please read for more information
    http://www.mitchelsellers.com/Blogs/tabid/54/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/103/Default.aspx

    Livetecs.com
    http://www.livetecs.com
    Free integrated web based timesheet, task management and bug tracking
    solution.

    LiveTecs, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Danny

    bruce barker Guest

    check the page's viewstate size. a site accessed with dsl like yours
    should not be using viewstate.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 26, 2007
  6. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hi guys,

    thanks a lot for the explanations and the tipps you gave me!

    I will try to reproduce the behaviour you set and follow your hints.
    If there still will be any question, I would like to answer again, but at
    the moment I think I have retrieved very wealthy information from you guys!

    Thanks again,
    Danny

    Danny, Jul 27, 2007