    I want to ask what is the best way to tansfer DataSets (or any object ) in
    a local network ? Webservice or remoting ? Or any thing else ?

    thanks in advance
    Stefan Rosi, May 3, 2004

  2. Stefan Rosi

    Sunny Guest

    Hi Stefan,
    if you only want to transfer a DataSet, web services is ok.

    If you want more functionality, running object methods on the server,
    etc., remoting is better.

    Also, webservices are slower, but if you spend more time to fill the
    dataset, you will not see the difference.

    As a recommendation:
    1. for local network - remoting over tcp, or plain sockets will be
    fastest
    2. for internet/wan, or for interoperability with other OSes -
    webservices.

    Sunny

    In article <>,
    says...

    Sunny, May 3, 2004

  3. Stefan Rosi

    Stefan Rosi Guest

    Thanks Sunny

    Stefan Rosi, May 3, 2004
  4. Hello

    here is a good article about that topic
    http://www.ingorammer.com/Articles/REMOTINGVS.ASP.NETWEBSERV.html

    Best regards,
    Sherif

    Sherif ElMetainy, May 3, 2004
  5. Hi,
    If you want to build a high performance dotNet application, don't forget
    this site at http://www.udaparts.com/articles/fastsocketpro.htm to boost
    your dotNet application performance 10 times or more

    --
    Yuancai (Charlie) Ye

    Fast and securely accessing all of remote data sources anywhere with
    SocketPro using batch/queue, asynchrony and parallel computation

    See 30 well-tested and real OLEDB examples

    RDB, a tool for fast and securely accessing remote databases with dial-up,
    cable, DSL and wireless modems anywhere
    www.udaparts.com

    Yuancai \(Charlie\) Ye, May 4, 2004
  6. You'd actually be surprised to find out that using webservices via WSE2.0 is
    as fast, if not faster than remoting using the Http channel and a binary
    formatter. .net remoting using a Soap formatter is slower than both, and
    ..Net remoting using the TCP channel is faster than everything mentioned thus
    far. My point being that web services are at least as fast as remoting over
    the Http channel. I was initially surprised to find this out, but if you do
    a couple of tests yourself, you'll see. Also, there is a video on the
    ASP.NET resource kit which bears this out.

    --
    - Paul Glavich
    Microsoft MVP - ASP.NET

    Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET], May 4, 2004