    Thank you, Herb

    --
    stullhe104

    Herb, May 7, 2008

  2. Hi stullhe104,

    Regarding on the "error: 26 .." error you mentioned, based on my research,
    it is a error message specific to SQL Server named instance's locating.
    Here is a blog article describe this:

    #SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
    Specified
    http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2007/05/13/sql-network-interface
    s-error-26-error-locating-server-instance-specified.aspx

    However, as this article mentioned, this is just the direct error message,
    the actual cause maybe further dependent. For your scenario, I'd like you
    to provide the following information so that I can have a further look
    at(in addition to the above article):

    1. As you are using the SQL membership provider to store user accoutns
    info, correct? if so, are you using a customized membership setting in
    web.config and also has your own custom connectionstring? If so, please
    paste the configuration section here.

    2. After you moved to the production server, whether the SQL Server
    instance matches the one one your original server(such as instance name).
    If you're using the default "user instance" mode(an attached aspnetdb.mdf
    file), you need to make sure user instance is correctly running on the
    production server.

    You can check the above things in addition to the steps mentioned in the
    blog article.

    If there is any other findings, welcome to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?SGVyYg==?= <>
    >Subject: WebSite Admin Tool
    >Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 16:09:00 -0700

    >I've built an ASP.NET application on my development computer and

    incorporated
    >this WebsiteAdminTool to manage the userids used for forms authentication.
    >
    >I delpoyed the application to my webserver, which in a different subnet,

    and
    >now I get "error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified" when I

    put
    >credentials into the authentication form and click Login.
    >
    >I confirmed that the ASPNETDB.MDF file moved over to the webserver and

    I've
    >even connected to it in SQLServer under the webserver.
    >
    >Can anyone provide suggestions as to where I can look to solve this

    problem.

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], May 7, 2008