Weirdness with HTTPModule, HTTPHandler, IIS, Mappings

Bruce B

Hi group,

I'm experiencing some extreme weirdness over the last week with IIS related
to it's Mappings and how .NET is behaving. I can't explain the behavior as
it seems very random.

Our app has about 50 file extensions that we map in IIS and handle in our
HTTPHandler to catch the reference and then lookup the correct content from
a database. In addition, we do some magic in a HTTPModule to rewrite paths
for file types we don't handle but want to pretend to, such as Page-332.htm
where we extract the 332 part to direct to a dynamic page (ID=332) for
example.

Everything has been working fine for a long time until recently when we
started getting weird errors for no apparent reason. I don't know how to
make sense of any of it, but here are the symptoms in case the patterns make
sense to you:

1. At times the HTTPModule and HTTPHandler just flat stop working. The
code never gets hit, I can't get the debugger to break in it, and the
browser ends up with broken links, etc. all over. Then I reboot and presto
it starts working again. Weird. Or, if I delete the virtual directory in
IIS and recreate it then it works.

2. Since our app needs to handle file types of HTM in the HTTPModule, so I
add .htm to the mappings in IIS. Fine, I do this and now I catch these
files in the HTTPModule code, and can debug through fine. Then, the next
time I open my project, it fails to load into Visual Studio with the same
error you get if the path in .Webinfo is wrong - it says that the path don't
match between the project and the virtual directory mapping! So, I delete
the .HTM mapping and then it loads again. What's up with this?

I don't think it's strictly a .htm mapping issue. If I start fresh with a
clean virtual directory (including the 28 or so mappings that IIS adds
automatically), add about 4 or 5 critical ones of my own including .htm
everything works great. So, it really seems to be related to the number of
mappings, more than the type.

I'm using XP Pro. IIS 5.0. Visual Studio .NET 2003, .NET Framework 1.1
obviously. With the 28 or so mappings that IIS adds automatically with
..NET, when I add my 50 custom mappings I'm up to total around 80 or so. I'm
suspecting that there is some limit that isn't checked and XP is corrupting
the configuration causing IIS to flake out. Has anyone had this
experience? My production Windows 2000 server does not seem <*** so
far***> to experience the same behaviour, but I'm worried.

I'm getting desperate with this, as it's wasted a ton of time trying to work
through it. I spent Christmas Eve (on and off) uninstalling all of VS 2002,
..NET 1.0 and 1.1, and just reinstalling VS 2003 and 1.1. I even removed my
IIS first and reinstalled it to no avail. Boy, any ideas or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!

Bruce B.