What is the version of the Integrated Server (VS Studio 2008 SP1)

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Hi,

I'm looking for URL Routing or URL Rewriting solutions...
I've read someplaces that using IIS7 can easy the usage of those tools.

I'm developing locally, does anyone knows if the VS integrated servers are
IIS7 based or anything?
If I modify the webServer portion of the web.config, will the intergrated
server take those configs into account?

I'm using Visual Studio 2K8 SP1 (version Pro at work, version Express at
home)

Thanks!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

With VS2008 SP1 (or .NET 3.5 SP1) there is are routing bits included, which
you can include in your project. You can use this without MVC (which is
where it was incubated), but you have to have fairly strict set up for your
page to avoid having to create tons of routing rules.

I have not dinked enough with IIS 7 to see if there is anything built in,
but I don't remember anything declarative that automagically routes or URL
rewrites.

With .NET, in general, you can create an HTTP Handler to intercept the call
from a user friendly url to your page(s). It requires a bit of programming
to do it.

bruce barker

iis 7.0 support .net native filters, so they work with any content type.

the vs2008 dev webserver is not iis 7.0 compatiable. if you want to do iis
7.0 developent your dev box must have iis 7.0 installed (vista or
server2008). then you just configure vs2008 to use iis rather than the dev
webserver.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
With VS2008 SP1 (or .NET 3.5 SP1) there is are routing bits included,
which you can include in your project. You can use this without MVC (which
is where it was incubated), but you have to have fairly strict set up for
your page to avoid having to create tons of routing rules.
Yes I followed a tutorial on Chris Cavanagh's blog
(http://chriscavanagh.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/aspnet-routing-goodbye-url-rewriting/)
and I can't get it to work on VS Studio 2K8 (both Express and Pro).

The Routing handler never gets called to handle the request...
If I'm downloading his solution, I'm able to run it with VS 2K5 though.. but
he's linking System.Web.Routing manually with a downloaded DLL.

I'm really confused... I want to use URL routing!
I have not dinked enough with IIS 7 to see if there is anything built in,
but I don't remember anything declarative that automagically routes or URL
rewrites.
I've read that hand made URL Rewriters inside .NET apps can only work on
..aspx extensions. If you want to handle anything else you can't. With IIS7
it seems you can pipe your handle through the IIS handling chain... (I read
something like that!)

With .NET, in general, you can create an HTTP Handler to intercept the
call from a user friendly url to your page(s). It requires a bit of
programming to do it.
Yes that's why I want to use the elegant URL Routing mechanism!

Thanks!

gerry

Mike Gleason jr Couturier said:
"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <[email protected]> a écrit
dans le message de news: (e-mail address removed)... ....

I've read that hand made URL Rewriters inside .NET apps can only work on
.aspx extensions. If you want to handle anything else you can't. With IIS7
it seems you can pipe your handle through the IIS handling chain... (I
read something like that!)

native .NET url rewriters can rewrite anything that makes it into the
asp.net pipeline.
You can have IIS selectively pass on any requests to your site ( .aspx .htm
..html .css .js .jpg .gif ...you name it ) to asp.net by setting up the
proper application mappings in IIS.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You are trying to get around the need to write an ISAPI filter?

I would look at Bruce's answer, as he might be on to something. I know they
extended IIS for PHP, which might use something similar to what you are
looking for. It is out of my league for the moment. Good luck!

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

gerry said:
native .NET url rewriters can rewrite anything that makes it into the
asp.net pipeline.
You can have IIS selectively pass on any requests to your site ( .aspx
.htm .html .css .js .jpg .gif ...you name it ) to asp.net by setting up
the proper application mappings in IIS.

Ok cool...

I don't want to touch the IIS configuration to stay "web server
independent", so I guess I must use a .NET application handler... I'll
re-try to make work the URL Routing handler explained in the previous
link...

Too bad I couldn't make it work before, after following the instructions 3
times!!

Thanks guys

Mark Fitzpatrick

The VS integrated servers have nothing to do with IIS. IIS only comes as
part of Windows itself. The built-in dev server that comes with VS is an
upgraded version of a stand-alone web server called Cassini that MS created
in order to provide a development platform for users that don't have IIS
available (Windows XP Home users and Windows Vista Home Basic I believe).

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

bruce barker

to map images to asp.net will require iis reconfiguratuion. you will
need to update the mapping in virtual directory. you will also pay a
performnace hit for asp.net serving static pages.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

bruce barker

note: to use this feature .net 3.5 sp1 must be installed on the iis
server. you iis will also have to setup to allow module/handler
replacement in the web.config (turned off by default on iis 7.0)

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)