Which version of Visual Studio

Chris

My bosses look like they're going to buy in Visual Studio and let us upgrade
from ASP to ASP.net - don't ask :)

I am doing my research but one thing is confusing me. One thing I really
want is something really integrated so you can do your UML and ORM diagrams
in Visio and have it automatically generate code etc. I thought you needed
the Enterprise edition and with that you got a special version of Visio, but
I can only see Team System. Is Enterprise no longer a product? Do I go for
the Architect version of VS?

Also can anyone give me any pointers in what a team would need. Not everyone
would need the Architect Tools would it be OK to use VS Pro for them. If we
were to look at the Team Server is VS Pro compatible with this.

Regards, Chris.

Ya, they changed names just to confuse people of course. Microsoft's
marketing department likes to make themselves feel important with such
decisions.
The architect version is now what you're looking for.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Chris,

If you gonna use Visio for Enterprise Architects you need the VS 2005 TeamSuite.
AFAIK u got the error if u try to install this edition Visio first.

Btw, why not to use the 3rd party UML tools which doesnt request the VS TeamSuite?!
For example "Sparx EA" is really good instrument for UML and it integrates
into VS 2005

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

C> My bosses look like they're going to buy in Visual Studio and let us
C> upgrade from ASP to ASP.net - don't ask :)
C>
C> I am doing my research but one thing is confusing me. One thing I
C> really want is something really integrated so you can do your UML and
C> ORM diagrams in Visio and have it automatically generate code etc. I
C> thought you needed the Enterprise edition and with that you got a
C> special version of Visio, but I can only see Team System. Is
C> Enterprise no longer a product? Do I go for the Architect version of
C> VS?
C>
C> Also can anyone give me any pointers in what a team would need. Not
C> everyone would need the Architect Tools would it be OK to use VS Pro
C> for them. If we were to look at the Team Server is VS Pro compatible
C> with this.
C>
C> Regards, Chris.

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,

Michael said:
Hello Chris,

If you gonna use Visio for Enterprise Architects you need the VS 2005
TeamSuite. AFAIK u got the error if u try to install this edition Visio
first.

Btw, why not to use the 3rd party UML tools which doesnt request the VS
TeamSuite?!
For example "Sparx EA" is really good instrument for UML and it
integrates into VS 2005

I vote for for Sparx Enterprise Architect too.

How do you integrate it in Studio, Michael?

Greetings,
Laurent

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Laurent,

They provide the MDG Integration for VS 2005
See on their site http://www.sparxsystems.com/products/mdg_integrate.html

We are using the Sparx since 2004 and really happy with it.

---