Where do I find Web Service Extensions in Windows Vista Home?

Oltmans

Hi, all. I'm trying to install ASP.NET 2.0 on Windows Vista home by
following instructions on this page http://weblogs.asp.net/plip/archive/2005/08/03/421477.aspx.
The last instruction on this URL is
"Go to Web Service Extensions and Allow ASP.NET 2.0 "

Now I've tried my best but I cannot find Web Service Extensions in
Windows Vista Home? Where are these located? Any help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Saucy

Oltmans said:
Hi, all. I'm trying to install ASP.NET 2.0 on Windows Vista home by
following instructions on this page
http://weblogs.asp.net/plip/archive/2005/08/03/421477.aspx.
The last instruction on this URL is
"Go to Web Service Extensions and Allow ASP.NET 2.0 "

Now I've tried my best but I cannot find Web Service Extensions in
Windows Vista Home? Where are these located? Any help is highly
appreciated.

Thanks.

That's because it is not there:

[Installing IIS 7.0 on Windows Vista Home Premium]

Other webpages:

[Enabling Web Service Extensions (IIS 6.0)]
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...388-bc4c-472f-b029-aea2b0418bea.mspx?mfr=true

[Installing IIS on Windows XP Home]
http://adamv.com/dev/articles/iis-on-xp-home/

[How to get IIS Web Server running on Windows XP Home Edition]
http://gr0w.com/articles/help/how_to_get_iis_web_server_running_on_windows_xp_home_edition/index.php

Saucy

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>> I cannot find Web Service Extensions in Windows Vista Home?
!> That's because it is not there:

Yes, it is there.

Web service extensions and all of their associated
properties are available on machines with IIS 6 or later.

re:
!>> Where are these located?

Did you use Control Panel to install IIS 7 ?
If you use Control Panel to install IIS you get the default installation, which has a minimum set of features.

If you need additional IIS features, such as Management Console or Web Management Tools,
make sure you select the check boxes associated with those features in the Windows Features dialog box.

After you install the Web Management and Management Console tools,
when you select the machine root, you'll see the Web Service Extensions page.

If you want to install them using a script, see this Technet page :

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=========================
Saucy said:
Oltmans said:
[...]

OK, thank you for your reply and help. I've installed it using script
found at this page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754752.aspx..
Now, I'm not sure where to find the Web Service Extensions page on
Windows Vista Home? Where can I find the machine root on Windows
Vista? Please excuse my ignorance. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I'm not sure where to find the Web Service Extensions page on Windows Vista Home?

Open the IIS Manager and select your machine's name on the left column.

Click on "ISAPI and CGI Restrictions"
On the right panel you'll see the Web Service Extensions available.

Select the one you want to enable and change the restriction for it.

re:
!> Where can I find the machine root on Windows Vista?

In the IIS Manager.

See the images on this article :

http://www.west-wind.com/wconnect/WebLog/ShowEntry.blog?id=493

( which solves a few different problems, but which opens the same dialog )
so you can get an idea of where you'll find the machine root.

In the example in the article, the machine root is named RASVISTA\rstrahl .
In your case it will be named YourMachineName\SomeOtherName