Why do H1 sizes differ in IE6/Netscape7.1/Opera7.2

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Latter, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    Hi,

    I'm have just starting to learn about CSS and a problem I have at the
    moment concerns font sizes where the H1 header in Opera & Netscape
    appears about the same while that in IE6 is smaller. The only CSS I'm
    using is:

    h1 {
    text-align : center;
    color: #66ffcc;
    font-size: 1.5em;
    }

    and it doesn't seem to matter if I use ems or %s

    Er - a belated thought: I've just noticed that this difference between
    the browsers extends to all font sizes and on this point I've only
    declared a font-family - is there anyway of equalling-up the font size
    between browsers? (deletes "and is this a sensible question?")

    --

    John Latter

    The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    John Latter, Sep 23, 2003

  2. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:43:44 +0100, John Latter <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm have just starting to learn about CSS and a problem I have at the
    >moment concerns font sizes where the H1 header in Opera & Netscape
    >appears about the same while that in IE6 is smaller. The only CSS I'm
    >using is:
    >
    > h1 {
    > text-align : center;
    > color: #66ffcc;
    > font-size: 1.5em;
    > }
    >
    >and it doesn't seem to matter if I use ems or %s
    >
    >Er - a belated thought: I've just noticed that this difference between
    >the browsers extends to all font sizes and on this point I've only
    >declared a font-family - is there anyway of equalling-up the font size
    >between browsers? (deletes "and is this a sensible question?")

    Er, I've solved the problem for headers (for these 3 browser versions
    anyway) by declaring font-size in pixels although I thought I'd read
    somwhere that this wasn't recommended (I can't remember why not - and
    that's part of the problem, I read a lot and have half forgotten it
    before I get to do any coding, 'spect it'll sink in eventually!).

    John Latter, Sep 23, 2003

  3. John Latter

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Latter <>
    writing in news::

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm have just starting to learn about CSS and a problem I have at the
    > moment concerns font sizes where the H1 header in Opera & Netscape
    > appears about the same while that in IE6 is smaller. The only CSS I'm
    > using is:
    >
    > h1 {
    > text-align : center;
    > color: #66ffcc;
    > font-size: 1.5em;
    > }
    >
    > and it doesn't seem to matter if I use ems or %s
    >
    > Er - a belated thought: I've just noticed that this difference between
    > the browsers extends to all font sizes and on this point I've only
    > declared a font-family - is there anyway of equalling-up the font size
    > between browsers? (deletes "and is this a sensible question?")

    If I'm eighty years old wearing coke bottle glasses, I might have set my
    system up that my default font size is 16 points.

    If I'm fifteen years old, I might have set my system up for 10 points,
    because I think Grandma's coke bottle font size is way too big.

    With that said, IE does have an issue with ems. Use percentages instead,
    and that way, Grandma will get 150% of 16 points, and Junior will get 150%
    of 10 points, no matter what visual browser they are using.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 23, 2003
  4. John Latter wrote:

    > is there anyway of equalling-up the font size between browsers?

    Yes:

    You can control font size in Internet Explorer in the 'View' menu.

    In Opera, in Preferences go to the 'Fonts' panel. Sizes for normal body
    text, <h1>, <h2>, etc can be adjusted independently of each other.

    In Mozilla (so I assume in Netscape 7.x) there is 'View' > 'Text Zoom'.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 23, 2003
  5. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:17:07 GMT, Adrienne <>
    wrote:

    >Gazing into my crystal ball I observed John Latter <>
    >writing in news::
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm have just starting to learn about CSS and a problem I have at the
    >> moment concerns font sizes where the H1 header in Opera & Netscape
    >> appears about the same while that in IE6 is smaller. The only CSS I'm
    >> using is:
    >>
    >> h1 {
    >> text-align : center;
    >> color: #66ffcc;
    >> font-size: 1.5em;
    >> }
    >>
    >> and it doesn't seem to matter if I use ems or %s
    >>
    >> Er - a belated thought: I've just noticed that this difference between
    >> the browsers extends to all font sizes and on this point I've only
    >> declared a font-family - is there anyway of equalling-up the font size
    >> between browsers? (deletes "and is this a sensible question?")
    >>

    >If I'm eighty years old wearing coke bottle glasses, I might have set my
    >system up that my default font size is 16 points.
    >
    >If I'm fifteen years old, I might have set my system up for 10 points,
    >because I think Grandma's coke bottle font size is way too big.
    >
    >With that said, IE does have an issue with ems. Use percentages instead,
    >and that way, Grandma will get 150% of 16 points, and Junior will get 150%
    >of 10 points, no matter what visual browser they are using.

    Okey-doke Adrienne, that means I've got to think some more about my
    page layout - the header in question fits into a right hand column
    only 130px wide so I guess I've got a choice between making it fit or
    making the width of the column a %.

    I've been playing around since I first posted and I'm 'beginning' to
    get a feel for how things work and your comments have broadened my
    perspective somewhat - the only trouble is, I also have a feeling that
    I'm only at the beinning of the beginning!

    Thanks anyway :)

    John Latter, Sep 23, 2003
  6. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:30:23 +0100, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    >John Latter wrote:
    >
    >> is there anyway of equalling-up the font size between browsers?

    >Yes:
    >
    >You can control font size in Internet Explorer in the 'View' menu.
    >
    >In Opera, in Preferences go to the 'Fonts' panel. Sizes for normal body
    >text, <h1>, <h2>, etc can be adjusted independently of each other.
    >
    >In Mozilla (so I assume in Netscape 7.x) there is 'View' > 'Text Zoom'.

    That's what I did between sending the original post and getting your
    reply which made me dimly aware of the point Adrienne made 'bout
    everyone's settings being different. Oh well, I guess I might be on
    the right track for this particular issue anyway

    Or at least I hope so!

    John Latter, Sep 23, 2003
  7. John Latter

    Mark Parnell Guest

    John Latter wrote:
    > I also have a feeling that
    > I'm only at the beinning of the beginning!

    A good place to start... :)

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Sep 24, 2003
  8. John Latter

    Greg Schmidt Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:21:51 +0100, John Latter <> wrote:

    >Okey-doke Adrienne, that means I've got to think some more about my
    >page layout - the header in question fits into a right hand column
    >only 130px wide so I guess I've got a choice between making it fit or
    >making the width of the column a %.

    Does the right-hand column have to be exactly 130 pixels, or is it 130
    pixel minimum (say, to fit in a graphic)? If the latter, read up on the
    min-width property which might help you. If the former, well you can
    still put em-sized text into pixel-sized divs, you just have to be aware
    of what happens when the default font size gets very large.

    --
    Greg Schmidt ()
    Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)

    Greg Schmidt, Sep 24, 2003
  9. John Latter

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Greg Schmidt wrote:

    > read up on
    > the min-width property which might help you.

    Except of course IE doesn't support it. :-(

    Mark Parnell, Sep 24, 2003
  10. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 02:56:57 GMT, Greg Schmidt <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:21:51 +0100, John Latter <> wrote:
    >
    >>Okey-doke Adrienne, that means I've got to think some more about my
    >>page layout - the header in question fits into a right hand column
    >>only 130px wide so I guess I've got a choice between making it fit or
    >>making the width of the column a %.

    >Does the right-hand column have to be exactly 130 pixels, or is it 130
    >pixel minimum (say, to fit in a graphic)? If the latter, read up on the
    >min-width property which might help you. If the former, well you can
    >still put em-sized text into pixel-sized divs, you just have to be aware
    >of what happens when the default font size gets very large.

    Oops - I should have said the left hand column! Its 180px wide with a
    130px image in it.

    I had come across the 'min-width' property, but as Mark noted, knew it
    was universally recognized (although I couldn't remember which browser
    was the problem).

    It seems to me that there could always be a problem using columns - if
    I make it fixed width then large user font sizes could cause the text
    to look yeuky (eg one word a line) or to for it to spread into the
    next column. And surely the same would apply if I made the left hand
    column )'pause' - yep, its definitely the left!) a percentage width
    cos if the user font size is gonna be big in one column its gonna be
    big in them all?

    Maybe its possible to worry too much about too many unknowns?

    John Latter, Sep 24, 2003
  11. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:00:44 +1000, "Mark Parnell"
    <> wrote:

    >Greg Schmidt wrote:
    >>
    >> read up on
    >> the min-width property which might help you.

    >Except of course IE doesn't support it. :-(

    A technicality..

    (*g*)

    John Latter, Sep 24, 2003