Any freeware ' Web Content Management' programs?

Adrienne

Hi,

I've just come across Darger's "Free Web Content Management" program
at this URL:

http://www.dargers.com/

and was wondering if there are any others (and easier to use for a
novice like me) that anyone might be aware of?

Er, I only want to use HTML by the way!

Regards,

http://www.chami.com/html-kit is a very good free plain text HTML editor.
Fire up your editor and do some tutorials, and you'll be good to go.

The page generated by the Free Web Content Management program at the above
URI did so with 181 errors, not a good recommendation.

John Latter

http://www.chami.com/html-kit is a very good free plain text HTML editor.
Fire up your editor and do some tutorials, and you'll be good to go.

The page generated by the Free Web Content Management program at the above
URI did so with 181 errors, not a good recommendation.

Thankyou for replying Adrienne - I had begun to think no-one was going
to :(

I downloaded HTML-Kit earlier (cos of an earlier thread which
recommended it) but I haven't installed it yet (will do so later in
the day when I have more time).

I have down some pretty basic HTML on my websites but what I'm looking
for is some kind of 'template program' that will provide an overall
structure so that I only have to change 'modules' within each page.

I thought that the Dargers program might be the answer but I'm pretty
much stunned to read that it generated 181 errors!

Obviously you know what you're talking about - I've been reading the
help file for about an hour and am only now beginning to comprehend
what it says!

I hope you're interested enough to reply - any advice would be
welcome!

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

Adrienne

Thankyou for replying Adrienne - I had begun to think no-one was going
to :(

I downloaded HTML-Kit earlier (cos of an earlier thread which
recommended it) but I haven't installed it yet (will do so later in
the day when I have more time).

I have down some pretty basic HTML on my websites but what I'm looking
for is some kind of 'template program' that will provide an overall
structure so that I only have to change 'modules' within each page.

I thought that the Dargers program might be the answer but I'm pretty
much stunned to read that it generated 181 errors!

Obviously you know what you're talking about - I've been reading the
help file for about an hour and am only now beginning to comprehend
what it says!

I hope you're interested enough to reply - any advice would be
welcome!

HTML-Kit has a nice feature where you can save a page layout as a template.

What I really think you're after though is some sort of server side
include, or a preprocessor, so that you can work with modules.

John Latter

HTML-Kit has a nice feature where you can save a page layout as a template.

What I really think you're after though is some sort of server side
include, or a preprocessor, so that you can work with modules.

Hi Adrienne,

I've installed HTML-Kit and I'm starting to read the help files &
stuff - there's gonna be a BIG learning curve here! I opened one of my
web pages that I wrote using AOLPress & ran the "check/etc" function -
er, it was rather embarassing!

You may be right about the Preprocessor - I can't really articulate
what I'm looking for 'cept to say the way the Darger's program said it
would automatically adjust links between pages (& edit a number of
pages at the same time) seemed to be just what I wanted - a webSITE
editor rather than a webPAGE one.

I probably should try and walk before I can run - I haven't a clue
what server side include means!

Thankyou again for rerlying,

Regards,

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

Adrienne

Hi Adrienne,

I've installed HTML-Kit and I'm starting to read the help files &
stuff - there's gonna be a BIG learning curve here! I opened one of my
web pages that I wrote using AOLPress & ran the "check/etc" function -
er, it was rather embarassing!

You may be right about the Preprocessor - I can't really articulate
what I'm looking for 'cept to say the way the Darger's program said it
would automatically adjust links between pages (& edit a number of
pages at the same time) seemed to be just what I wanted - a webSITE
editor rather than a webPAGE one.

I think what you may be after is something that will change a lot of links
to pages in one place. For example, if you have the same menu on each
page, you have 50 pages, and you want to change one link on the menu. You
don't want to have to make changes to 50 pages, right?

That's where a preprocessor or server side include comes in. You make one
document with the list of links, then you use either a preprocessor to
include the file in your pages, or let the server do it with a server side
include (check with your host to see what kind, if any, of server side
include is available).

Then when you want to make a change to one or however many links, you make
the change to the link document, and all 50 pages have the new link.
Pretty spiffy, huh?
I probably should try and walk before I can run - I haven't a clue
what server side include means!
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

Thankyou again for rerlying,

No problem, glad to help.

John Latter

I think what you may be after is something that will change a lot of links
to pages in one place. For example, if you have the same menu on each
page, you have 50 pages, and you want to change one link on the menu. You
don't want to have to make changes to 50 pages, right?

That's where a preprocessor or server side include comes in. You make one
document with the list of links, then you use either a preprocessor to
include the file in your pages, or let the server do it with a server side
include (check with your host to see what kind, if any, of server side
include is available).

Then when you want to make a change to one or however many links, you make
the change to the link document, and all 50 pages have the new link.
Pretty spiffy, huh?

Yep it is! And I think I've found the plugin for it: 's called
includeHTML & I've downloaded it with a lotta other plugins.

http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ <-- IncludeHTML

I must admit I was deterred when I first looked at HTML-Kit but I'm
glad I've persevered - it does look promising (ie I'm not too stupid
to be able to use it).

Thanks again!

John
No problem, glad to help.