    What about Opera - How did it penetrate to the market ?)

    and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer doesn't ?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Mr. x wrote:

    > I would like to hear some opinion about Opera

    It's a wonderful browser, everybody and his dog uses it, and they
    penetrated the market by providing a superior product at a very
    competitive price.

    Or something along those lines - check the Opera newsgroups.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Mr. x wrote:
    > Hello,

    Watcha

    > I would like to hear some opinion about Opera

    ok - it's cool

    > What kind people use this Browser

    people like me - are there any?

    > (I ment - people who generally have Windows OS, have IE, and people
    > who generally have Lynox OS have Netscape -

    Win2k/Ie6/Moz/Opera/Lynx/wget/wfetch

    > What about Opera - How did it penetrate to the market ?)

    free version available for download.

    > and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer
    > doesn't ?

    It's an independent mainstream browser that uses its own code-base to render
    pages. As such it's an essential tool for any web site builder.

    > Thanks :)

    Welcome.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Mr. x

    Sreve R. Guest

    Matthias Gutfeldt wrote in message ...
    > It's a wonderful browser,

    Agreed :~)

    > everybody and his dog uses it,

    <Cough> No they don't ... (shouted Pantomime style)

    The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users is so
    insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to consider it when
    creating designs.

    That may not be good, but we live in a *real* world where minorities are
    often ignored in the production of many products

    > check the Opera newsgroups.

    Mostly eccentrics :~)

    Steve.

    Sreve R., Dec 8, 2003
  5. Mr. x

    Richard Guest

    Mr.! wrote:

    > Hello,

    > I would like to hear some opinion about Opera - What kind people use this
    > Browser
    > (I ment - people who generally have Windows OS, have IE, and people who
    > generally have Lynox OS have Netscape -
    > What about Opera - How did it penetrate to the market ?)

    > and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer doesn't ?

    > Thanks :)

    I don't use it. Never have.
    What can opera do that others can not?
    Like the bloatware dreamweaver, opera is over rated and to me, has no
    special features I need.

    I use IE with the "crazy browser" popup killer plugin and surf in peace.
    Both of which are free.

    Richard, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Mr. x wrote:

    > (I ment - people who generally have Windows OS, have IE, and people who
    > generally have Lynox OS have Netscape -

    If by "Lynox OS" you meant "Linux", then you might be interested that few
    (if any) recent distributions of Linux include Netscape. Most include a
    range of browsers such as Mozilla, Galeon, Epiphany, Konqueror, Firebird,
    Links, Lynx and Dillo. Commercial browsers such as Netscape and Opera tend
    to be downloaded and installed by the user later, although SuSE Linux
    includes Opera.

    Opera is available on many different operating systems -- Windows, Mac,
    Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, BeOS, OS/2 and various smartphone platforms.

    > and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer doesn't ?

    * Opera has a highly standards-compliant rendering engine with more
    support for CSS2 and CSS 2.1 than any other browser.

    * Opera seems faster than any other browser with comparable features (IE,
    Mozilla, etc), has a smaller memory footprint and is much smaller to
    download. (About 3.5MB for Opera vs about 50MB for MSIE)

    * Opera has a raft of powerful UI features for web users:

    - the ability to quickly and easily toggle image loading,
    plugins, cookies, javascript, CSS, etc

    - customisable toolbars, menus, keyboard shortcuts, etc

    - Google and other popular search engines built right into
    the toolbars

    - MDI/tabbed browsing (the first browser to offer this feature)

    * Opera is generally more secure than other browsers (there have been the
    occasional hiccoughs, but not many and they are fixed very quickly)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Mr. x

    Mr. x Guest

    > The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users is
    so
    > insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to consider it

    when
    > creating designs.

    So why should I bother ?

    Thanks :)

    Mr. x, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Mr. x

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Mr. x wrote:

    >> The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users
    >> is so insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to
    >> consider it when creating designs.

    > So why should I bother ?
    >
    > Thanks :)

    Because the experts that frequent this group believe it is necessary to do
    so, whereas "Sreve. R" has been posting here since this morning and has
    already demonstrated his 1996 approach to web design.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Dec 8, 2003
  9. Mr. x

    rf Guest

    "Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:3fd50d15$1@news.012.net.il...
    > > The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users is

    > so
    > > insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to consider it

    > when
    > > creating designs.

    > So why should I bother ?

    Pretend you own a shoe shop. Would you single out every one hundreth person
    trying to enter the shop and turn them away?

    If even 1% of the people out there use opera and your site does not work in
    opera then, by not making it work in opera, you are turning away every 100th
    potential customer.

    Even 1% of web users is millions of people.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 9, 2003
  10. On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:23:22 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:3fd50d15$1@news.012.net.il...
    >> > The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users is

    >> so
    >> > insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to consider it

    >> when
    >> > creating designs.

    >> So why should I bother ?

    >Pretend you own a shoe shop. Would you single out every one hundreth person
    >trying to enter the shop and turn them away?

    Or would he happy if his webhost was shut down for three plus days
    each year?

    Nick

    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

    Nick Theodorakis, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > * Opera is generally more secure than other browsers (there have been the
    > occasional hiccoughs, but not many and they are fixed very quickly)

    This can be a curse or a blessing. I've just upgraded from Opera 7.20
    to 7.22 when I heard that there's been a security hole fixed and I
    have to download 7.23 to fix it. On the other hand, I think I prefer
    holes being fixed in a matter of days rather than months (thinking of
    IE...).

    Voetleuce en f?nsievry, Dec 9, 2003
  12. Mr. x

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    (Nick Theodorakis) wrote in

    > Or would he happy if his webhost was shut down for three plus days
    > each year?

    Reminds me of the spam for the DSL provider that advertised "95% uptime
    guaranteed." Somehow, that sounds more impressive than "you'll lose
    Internet access for no more than two-and-a-half weeks every year."

    Eric Bohlman, Dec 9, 2003
  13. Mr. x wrote:

    > So why should I bother ?

    Consider your typical IE user: bumbling about on whatever browser came
    installed on their system by default.

    Consider your typical Opera user: he's made a conscious effort to go out
    and download a different browser, has considered it for a while and
    decided it's worth paying for something better, has gotten out his credit
    card, gone to the Opera website and paid for his browser, demonstrating
    that he's comfortable with the idea of using his credit card online.

    If there was one of each of these customers at your site, which one would
    you prefer to turn away?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Voetleuce en f?nsievry wrote:
    > On the other hand, I think I prefer holes being fixed in a matter of
    > days rather than months (thinking of IE...).

    Only months?

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 9, 2003
  15. rf wrote:
    > "Mr. x" <> wrote in message news:3fd50d15$1@news.012.net.il...
    >> > The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all*
    >> > users is so insignificant, that many web-designers don't even
    >> > bother to consider it when creating designs.

    >> So why should I bother ?

    > Pretend you own a shoe shop. Would you single out every one hundreth
    > person trying to enter the shop and turn them away?

    [snip]

    It depends on how much it would cost you to let them in, and whether that
    would be a better return on your investment than something else. (No one is
    suggesting simply turning Opera users away arbitrarily. It would be a matter
    of not catering for something about Opera).

    Having said that, I find that I have few if any problems getting my pages to
    look OK with Opera. If they look OK with IE 6, Netscape 7.1, and Firebird 0.7,
    they will typically look OK with Opera 7.2. (I only use Opera and others for
    testing purposes. I use IE 6 as my standard browser).

    I *do* test my pages with Opera's "small screen mode" to see if it manages to
    display them within 240-pixels. This helps to see if any tables "linearise"
    well. And I suspect that Opera's scaling feature is useful to some people, who
    don't just want text bigger but would like images bigger too.

    Final point - Opera came configured to represent itself as "IE 6". I changed
    it to "Opera" - but those who don't do this appear to be IE 6 users, not Opera
    users.

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Dec 9, 2003
  16. Mr. x

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <_B8Bb.45019$>,
    says...
    > > So why should I bother ?

    > Pretend you own a shoe shop. Would you single out every one hundreth person
    > trying to enter the shop and turn them away?

    Oh, the 1/2 full 1/2 empty argument.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 9, 2003
  17. Mr. x

    rf Guest

    "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <_B8Bb.45019$>,
    > says...
    > > > So why should I bother ?

    > > Pretend you own a shoe shop. Would you single out every one hundreth

    person
    > > trying to enter the shop and turn them away?

    > Oh, the 1/2 full 1/2 empty argument.

    Optimist: The glass is half full.
    Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

    IT professional: This glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 9, 2003
  18. Mr. x

    Marco Bakker Guest

    Mr. x <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to hear some opinion about Opera - What kind people use this
    > Browser
    > (I ment - people who generally have Windows OS, have IE, and people who
    > generally have Lynox OS have Netscape -
    > What about Opera - How did it penetrate to the market ?)
    >
    > and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer doesn't ?

    I have a neighbor with a Pentium 133 laptop with 16 MB RAM and W95.
    He asked me to help him bring him up to date so that he can use the web
    again. Up untill last week he was still using Netscape 3.0...

    Opera 7 is the only browser that runs acceptable on such a low-end
    system and it even has a mailer inside which my neighbor uses/requested.
    (He was used to the built-in Netscape mailer). It does a very nice job
    at (X)HTML and CSS so the web will function again for him.

    It might have been possible to install some newer version of IE on that
    Windows 95 machine. But since I am a Mac user I was reluctant to help
    him install software which is so firmly connected to the OS. I did not
    want to mess with an otherwise well functioning machine (yes, it really
    does). And besides that I wasn't eager to spend a few hours downloading
    IE with a 33k6 modem :)

    I myself use Opera 6 sometimes on Mac OS X to test sites. And I use
    Opera 7 on windows for that same matter.

    My default browser is Safari. The gecko engine is more complete (at
    least for the moment) but I love Safari's speed and GUI. The best of
    both worlds can be found in Camino, but that browser uses an older Gecko
    than the recent Moz' variants. And it is just not as speedy as Safari.

    --
    marco

    Marco Bakker, Dec 9, 2003
  19. Mr. x

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <1g5pgai.icwdjjg7wk3kN%>,
    lid says...
    > I have a neighbor.....

    At what point should a site stop supporting equipment like this?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Dec 9, 2003
  20. Mr. x

    Terry Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <1g5pgai.icwdjjg7wk3kN%>,
    > lid says...
    >
    >>I have a neighbor.....

    > At what point should a site stop supporting equipment like this?

    neighbor = equipment ???

    T.

    Terry, Dec 9, 2003