Why Opera ?

Whitecrest

neighbor = equipment ???

Referencing your neighbor's equipment and software that he can use. At
what point do you stop supporting it? Netscape 3 for example. When can
a web site stop coding for obsolete browsers?

PeterMcC

Terry said:
neighbor = equipment ???

Not once it's reached a certain age - both in terms of its notional book
value and its specification when compared to what's now available next door
but one.

:)

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Pretend you own a shoe shop

Ok....

"Good afternoon sir. Can I interest you in a pair of shoes?"

.... aah! I feel much better now. Thanks!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

PeterMcC

nice.guy.nige said:
Ok....

"Good afternoon sir. Can I interest you in a pair of shoes?"

Don't be so modest, Nige - you'd interest people whether you were in a pair
of shoes or not.
:)

Terry

Whitecrest said:
Referencing your neighbor's equipment and software that he can use. At
what point do you stop supporting it? Netscape 3 for example. When can
a web site stop coding for obsolete browsers?
umm.... forgot the :)

sorry

Dylan Parry

rf said:
Optimist: The glass is half full.
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

IT professional: This glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Microsoft Philosophy: This glass requires twice as much liquid in order to
meet minimum specifications. Upgrade to Liquid 2.0

Toby A Inkster

Leif said:
Yeah, except you're cheating on DNS...

Only because the machine I have it installed on is behind a proxy and
Netscape 1.1. doesn't do proxies. Netscape does DNS just fine.

John W.

Sreve R. said:
Matthias Gutfeldt wrote in message ...

Agreed :~)

<Cough> No they don't ... (shouted Pantomime style)

The *actual* number of people using it as a percentage of *all* users is so
insignificant, that many web-designers don't even bother to consider it when
creating designs.
You don't have to consider Opera, just see to it that the webpages on
your site click and are not full of mistakes that the "other" browser
ignores or even "repairs" so that you may think it and you are doing a
great job.

John OO

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
No thanks, I'm just browsing <pesky bloody salesmen> :)

That's fine, as long as you use IE to browse my shoe shop. If you use
anything else, I'm afraid you won't be able to see the shoes!

Wooh! Back on topic again! :)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Leif K-Brooks

Toby said:
Only because the machine I have it installed on is behind a proxy and
Netscape 1.1. doesn't do proxies. Netscape does DNS just fine.

Hmm, I know there's some issue involving early NS and revolving domain
names. Maybe it doesn't send a Host header?

Toby A Inkster

Leif said:
Hmm, I know there's some issue involving early NS and revolving domain
names. Maybe it doesn't send a Host header?

I've not tested that, but in this case, the problem is purely proxies.

My web site doesn't need a Host header, as it's the "default" domain on
the site.

Andre E. Eide

Hello,
I would like to hear some opinion about Opera - What kind people use this
Browser
(I ment - people who generally have Windows OS, have IE, and people who
generally have Lynox OS have Netscape -
What about Opera - How did it penetrate to the market ?)

and also what pros and cons does Opera have that other browswer doesn't ?

Thanks :)

Opera has some really nice features for html-developers:

- Press Ctrl+alt+v to validate document in W3Cs html validator.
- Emulate text and accessibility configured browsers.
- Emulate small screen rendering (ie mobile phones) with Shift+F11
- Very fast keyboard navigation (much faster than IE f.ex. when using
Ctrl+n and jumping between sites)
etc.

I normally test my pages in Opera 7 and IE5.01 (which we still support),
and this eliminates most of the browser related problems.

Spartanicus

Andre said:
Opera has some really nice features for html-developers:

- Emulate small screen rendering (ie mobile phones) with Shift+F11

A note of caution, only useful to see what pages might look like on
mobile devices that have Opera installed as the browser.