win 2003 server

Peter Hansen

Brad said:
Does Python run on Windows Server 2003?

http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html only lists the
following:

Python for Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP

I'm fairly sure "Windows Server 2003" is in no way significantly
different from one or more of the above items you list. It's
not like Microsoft has gone and developed yet another operating
system! It's a certainty that its biggest feature is that it
will confuse some corporate buyers into "upgrading", thus boosting
MS revenue for another quarter...

If you have a copy, downloading and installing a copy of Python
would be the most direct route to proving that theory.

-Peter

Brad Tilley

Peter said:
I'm fairly sure "Windows Server 2003" is in no way significantly
different from one or more of the above items you list.

That's the list from Python's Windows Download page... not my list.
If you have a copy, downloading and installing a copy of Python
would be the most direct route to proving that theory.

I'm buying a new server. I want to make sure Python will run on the OS.

mensanator

FWIW, I ran Python on Windows Server 2000 without any problems.
It was interesting to see the program that made my workstation
slow to a crawl not make any of the 4 processors reach 100%
utilization.

Tim Peters

[Brad Tilley]
Does Python run on Windows Server 2003?

Do you mean Windows Small Business Server 2003, Windows Server 2003
Web Edition, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, or Windows
Storage Server 2003?
http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html only lists the
following:

Python for Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, XP

When you've been around Windows long enough, you'll understand why
your question reads to us like my question above reads to you --
"what's the difference?!" <wink>.

Here's a still-partial list of Windows versions Python runs on:

Windows 95
Windows 95 OSR2
Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows Millennium Edition
Windows NT 3.1
Windows NT 3.5
Windows NT 3.51
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows 2000 Professional
Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP SP2 (several flavors)
Windows Small Business Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
Windows Storage Server 2003

The longer this goes on, it seems the more names they give to each
flavor. The only interesting (wrt Python) categories are < 95, and >=
95. All the above are in the latter category, and so will be every PC
OS MS releases in the forseeable future (including 64-bit Windows
variants).

Brad Tilley

Tim said:
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP SP2 (several flavors)
Windows Small Business Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition
Windows Storage Server 2003

Why not put that list on the Python Windows Web site so the suits in IT
management (who have the final say on things) will be more likely to OK
Python as a scripting environment on Windows? IMO, it's silly to list
Windows 95 and not list Windows 2003 server. Why not just shoot yourself
in the foot?

Jeremy Jones

Why not put that list on the Python Windows Web site so the suits in
IT management (who have the final say on things) will be more likely
to OK Python as a scripting environment on Windows? IMO, it's silly to
list Windows 95 and not list Windows 2003 server. Why not just shoot
yourself in the foot?
</troll>

<counter_troll>
<flamebait>IT managers who have made the decision to use MS Windows
(especially the server lines) deserve the productivity of their people
using only VBScript as a scripting language and are unworthy of
receiving the benefits of Python. IT managers who do not know the
difference among the different Windows lines deserve the productivity of
their people using only batch scripts and are doubly unworthy of
receiving the benefits of Python. References to Windows versions of
Python should be removed from the Python site altogether.
</flamebait>
</counter_troll>

Seriously, it could just be that the page just hasn't been updated
lately. Windows 95 _did_ come before 2003 server.

yes-I-was-totally-and-sarcastically-kidding-ly y'rs,

Jeremy Jones

Ian Parker

Peter Hansen said:
I'm fairly sure "Windows Server 2003" is in no way significantly
different from one or more of the above items you list. It's
not like Microsoft has gone and developed yet another operating
system! It's a certainty that its biggest feature is that it
will confuse some corporate buyers into "upgrading", thus boosting
MS revenue for another quarter...

If you have a copy, downloading and installing a copy of Python
would be the most direct route to proving that theory.

-Peter

Python certainly does run on Windows Server 2003, as does win32all (or
whatever it's called nowadays). Think of Windows Server 2003 is simply
XP for servers.

Regards

Ian