Win2.3k and dotnet. Urgent please

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jay, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Quick scenario followed by details below.
    ASP.NET application and MSDE installed on our Win2k dev server. All is good!
    Replicated this on our Win2.3k production server... problem!!

    Error is 'server does not exist or access is denied'

    Details.
    I installed MSDE via oSQL: setup sapwd=xxx securitymode=sql
    Then I installed SQL server client tools only.
    Restored the DB to the new instance from a .bak file.

    Created the login, gave it access to the required db and made it dbo.
    Set up IIS for the dot net app and did all the necessaries IIS and NTFS
    wise... treble checked!

    The dotnet app has a connection string that passes the db username and pwd.
    (checked by running query analyser and connecting). The app error log gives
    the above error.

    What can be wrong? The IIS/SQL/app is all the same server. have tried
    (local) and 127.0.0.1 for datasource.
    SQL is running. IIS is fine. NTFS is correct. SQL account has full
    permissions on sql. ASPNET and IUSR_machinename given full control for
    testing.
    Ran SQL profiler and there isn't even a log on attempt by the user/app.
    Any one shed any light? Any more details needed then feel free to yell out.
    Supposed to be launching this tomorrow and am stumped for any more debugging
    options.

    Jay
    Jay, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Jay

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Did you install MSDE as an instance? If so, you need the instancename in the
    connection string, unless it is the default instance.

    Otherwise, try giving the IIS_WPG group access to SQL Server - see if that
    makes the problem go away. If so, then ASP.NET is connecting as the Worker
    Process identity for some reason.

    Cheers
    Ken

    :